Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 19, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #13,698 of 18,765
Lacking power would be your amp. Have you tried it with any more powerful gear? I use mine with a Studio Six and it is a very powerful and dynamic amp and it hits extremely hard with the TH900 when the music calls for it. 

I still think the Asgard 2 should be able to give him a very good sample of their capabilities. To say they are bass anemic is just wrong, either something off with the headphones themselves or with the listener's expectations/hearing.

The sharp highs of the TH-900 is not inconsistent with my impressions. That the Asgard 2 is a slightly warm SS amp, unlike the Magn 2 aforementioned, would make it a decent pairing with the TH-900, especially at that price range, to get a solid foretaste of its ultimate capabilities on high-end gear.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #13,700 of 18,765
  What does the JVC SZ2000 EQ entail? If you're boosting it a ton, it'll distort more than usual. TH900 is likely a cleaner headphone with much less distortion. Can the Asgard 2 handle the extra EQ on the TH900 sufficiently? Does the TH900 have an excessive amount of treble compared to the SZ2000, thus you're unable to match its same listening level with regard to bass as the treble is piercing as you said?

​The SZ2000 EQ resulted in in unbelievable impact and hitting real low notes.

I agree with your last statement. It is as if the treble is too loud, to the point where I cannot up the power for the bass, without going deaf.

I began playing around with an EQ in Foobar, and boosted 20-100hz to +12DB...I am finally getting what I would say is good bass (though still no where near the impact seen on that video) - certainly not sz2000 levels, but certainly not anemic anymore.

Is this normal? is this what I have to do to get strong bass? Here people are talking about the bass being overpowering out the box. I just don't get it.

Also, if i go ot youtube and listen to some bass tests, the bass actually sounds good with the volume knob turned up - but at that level i would suffer severe ear damage other sounds were present.

Aug 19, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #13,701 of 18,765
I've never had to use EQ to bass boost the TH900, that seems absurd honestly. For my Ether C's I used a little boost down low but these shouldn't need it. There must either be something wrong with them or they just aren't what you expected.

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #13,703 of 18,765
@bigbeard - the th900 has prodigious bass extension and more bass quantity than most totl cans, but it's not a sub-woofer for your ears. it wouldn't qualify as a high-end can if it was.

ps the th900 is a very efficient can. your asgard would drive it with ease. i doubt that amplification is the issue here.

Aug 19, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #13,704 of 18,765
  The techs I have encountered at some audio companies like Etymotics have truly impressed me with the dedication and handling of issues.  Since serious TH900 servicing is done only in Japan iirc (and since this is a flagship), I would suppose they have a dedicated team working there with standard op. procedures/ technical guidelines to follow.  If it sounds seriously wrong, a tech will know.  That is if they don't already reevaluate the FR.

Also, give more credit to technicians - as someone who has worked closely with them (albeit in a different field), while not all have the same attitude, a good number do believe in maintaining standards and backing their work.  I'm not apologizing for terrible product service I've seen, but I would like to think that Fostex does a decent job. 

Sure, if your $1200 cans sound a bit off they will be shipped off to Japan for evaluation. As long as the customer is happy. :wink:

More credit to techs? I'm the guy that defends our tech and support department to S&M for the crap they get and don't deserve from cutomers who think the world spins around them. There isn't a problem with their attitude, there's a problem with the guidelines you mention that are (at least in a consumer environment) largely drawn up to decline warranty claims as the customer isn't always (ahem) honest about what happened with his product.
If a tech goes beyond those guidelines and he's actually doing a really good job in favor of the customer then S&M has a problem with it.
On top of those guidelines the techs have to meet certain quota on a monthly basis that is more quantity than quality related. But it can be worded differently: the amount of satisfied customers is more important than how satisfied these customers really are.
That pretty much describes the stressy environment a technician or support has to work in these days. Sales is the only thing that counts these days. Numbers and charts.

Although I'd like to think about quality and service like you do I can't help seeing that it's a thing of the better part of the last century. 
That said, I know more than enough small companies that are still able to deliver quality.
I'm also very pleased with the contacts I had with support teams from some smaller Internet vendors I had contact with for private purchases.
Some even manage to make the whole experience a joy.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #13,705 of 18,765
​I am using an Asgard 2. Is something wrong with my th900? Are you exaggerating about the bass at all? I mean the bass is here, but not a lot more prominent than my beyer dt990.

i bought the th900 on ebay from a big seller, as manufacturer refurbished. price was good, but it came with a few nicks in the cup and headband. i already emailed the seller to take them back since it wasn't listen in the description. thought about getting a replacement, but i am trying very hard to find something to be impressed by here.

the th900 also has significantly more sibilance than my HD800. some sounds are too piercing.

I used to have Asgard 2 with my TH900s and found it to be a bit underwhelming. It's not a guestion of Asgard's power, but the synergy just isn't very good. I remember TH900s sounding quite boring out of A2.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #13,706 of 18,765
Ear piercing treble, you can't feel the bass slap, kick thump, or sub bass get down? It's not some statement bass can th900, but something doesn't compute. There are faults and strengths but I have never heard of this?

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #13,707 of 18,765

Sure, if your $1200 cans sound a bit off they will be shipped off to Japan for evaluation. As long as the customer is happy. :wink:

More credit to techs? I'm the guy that defends our tech and support department to S&M for the crap they get and don't deserve from cutomers who think the world spins around them. There isn't a problem with their attitude, there's a problem with the guidelines you mention that are (at least in a consumer environment) largely drawn up to decline warranty claims as the customer isn't always (ahem) honest about what happened with his product.
If a tech goes beyond those guidelines and he's actually doing a really good job in favor of the customer then S&M has a problem with it.
On top of those guidelines the techs have to meet certain quota on a monthly basis that is more quantity than quality related. But it can be worded differently: the amount of satisfied customers is more important than how satisfied these customers really are.
That pretty much describes the stressy environment a technician or support has to work in these days. Sales is the only thing that counts these days. Numbers and charts.

Although I'd like to think about quality and service like you do I can't help seeing that it's a thing of the better part of the last century. 
That said, I know more than enough small companies that are still able to deliver quality.
I'm also very pleased with the contacts I had with support teams from some smaller Internet vendors I had contact with for private purchases.
Some even manage to make the whole experience a joy.

I can definitely see your point, and I suppose good service is becoming rarer these days. Oh well, we wouldn't actually know unless we work @ Fostex, or have bigbeard's TH900 on hand.  At any rate, thanks for sharing your experiences - it's always good to know!  

Aug 19, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #13,708 of 18,765
How was it refurbished ? What was the problem with it before Pre-refurbished ? If you are un happy, return it. Refurbished is never a good item. Majority of item from EBay refurbished could be done by any people and not necessarily (certified tech by the brand or company)

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #13,709 of 18,765

I can definitely see your point, and I suppose good service is becoming rarer these days. Oh well, we wouldn't actually know unless we work @ Fostex, or have bigbeard's TH900 on hand.  At any rate, thanks for sharing your experiences - it's always good to know!  

Thanks. Sorry for my rant by the way. I'm a bit tired. :wink:

Aug 19, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #13,710 of 18,765

Thanks. Sorry for my rant by the way. I'm a bit tired. :wink:

No probs, this is the TH-900 thread anyways.  Boring convos belong in the Beyer section...jk  
wink.gif

How was it refurbished ? What was the problem with it before Pre-refurbished ? If you are un happy, return it. Refurbished is never a good item. Majority of item from EBay refurbished could be done by any people and not necessarily (certified tech by the brand or company)

Very good point!  I like amazon more in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back