Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 19, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #13,727 of 18,761
Oh wow, first time clicking on the TH900 thread because I'm pondering buying a pair as I've always wanted to own these, what a great time I've had reading through these two pages (especially the last couple posts).

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #13,728 of 18,761
  Oh wow, first time clicking on the TH900 thread because I'm pondering buying a pair as I've always wanted to own these, what a great time I've had reading through these two pages (especially the last couple posts).

Welcome to the dreaded TH900 thread!
Your first post here certainly earned you admission. 
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #13,729 of 18,761
@bigbeard I think it may legitimately be an issue with the headphones if the test is not producing similar results to that in the extreme bass thread. I put the th900 through some soundtracks and the response is quite immense. Getting us back on track and disregarding music preference and possibly personal taste, maybe u want to buy from a source where u can easily return the cans. It's really a good one and I suggest giving it another shot.

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #13,730 of 18,761
Does anyone want Lawton Angled pads and want to trade them for the stock Fostex pads? The Lawton pads don't work for me at all. I wear glasses and the put too much presser on the back of my glasses. 

Edit: pending trade

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #13,731 of 18,761
@bigbeard I think it may legitimately be an issue with the headphones if the test is not producing similar results to that in the extreme bass thread.

differences in paper thickness can introduce unwanted variables to this type of objective test, which might make it difficult to repeat the results. science can be hard.

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #13,732 of 18,761
differences in paper thickness can introduce unwanted variables to this type of objective test, which might make it difficult to repeat the results. science can be hard.

Indeed very good point.

Anyways I tried the sz2000 today. Honestly while the bass is indeed impressive, the overall sig isn't in the same league as the th900. Detail, separation, and presence of mids/highs isn't there. If the sz2000 is the right amount of bass for someone, then I could see the th900 not being enough.

The 610 was interesting in a sense. The bass I personally feel has been tamed quantity wise. It is now a more balanced can and the multigenre capabilites are improved. The highs are also tamed, and are smoother than the th900s. But heres where I found issue. The mid to high transition is still sometimes harsh, and this is made all the more obvious by this tuning. Furthermore, the highs while being polite have less texture than that on the th900. Dislike the rectangular opening on the earpads. Uncomfortable and small.

Overall a more controlled, but less glorious sound. Would stick solidly to the th900. Perhaps not fair comparison but one that ought to be made anyways.

Aug 20, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #13,739 of 18,761
  For those looking for the new TH900 mkII, they have it on sale for an incredible price of only $999 on Adorama. I've ordered from them in the past without any problems, so I trust them as a seller.

just picked up that deal, too hard not to pass on it.  will update when received.

on a similar note, does Fostex sell the cables themselves or where would be a good place to get some nice replacements?

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #13,740 of 18,761

Not only the difference in thickness but also color seems to affect the results as I discovered in the past few hours, hence my absence.
My theory is that this is caused by the difference in molecular weight of varying pigments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back