Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 5, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #9,766 of 18,760
Agooh, thank you for sharing us your honest impression. Could you tell us about your music preference?
I have a strong feeling that if you enjoy T1's sound signature and X2'x soundstage, K812 might be your ultimate favorite.

As to all the flagships, I would rank TH900 = HD800 > LCD3 > T1 = K812
And I understand at this price point, headphones is just a way to match your music preference to what you want it to sounds like, for example:

Pick TH900 if you enjoy powerful bass and crispy highs, but do not listen to lots of vocal. (In fact, I simply enjoy the singer standing behind the rock band. Idk, it just works for me.)
Pick HD800 if you enjoy vast sound stage and accurate imaging.
Pick LCD3 if you listen to lots of vocals, and enjoy iems like 846.agree with some points, but you highly mistaken if you think i didn't listen to 812 ( sound suck ) like hd 800,I'll say th900 better in terms of bass and mids , hd 800 sound normal and itchy,ringing in your ear which will cause loss of hearing ,very deadly headphones no body know about that. my friend had strong headache cause from listning for long time hd 800 .
soundstage sound big but fake not real so that's my point lcd3 Fazor better than hd 800 in every thing for me ( except fake soundstage )which sound real in lcd 3 and T1.
ultimate headphones should sound perfect with every thing vocals low mids highs,soundstage should be like 3d in front ( which no headphones can make until now ).
and about you are ranking it's false .lcd 3>T1>hd800>th900

Agree with some points,

but you highly mistaken if you think I didn't listen to 812 I didn't like the sound .

I'll say th900 better in terms of bass and mids , hd 800 sound normal and itchy,ringing in your ear which will cause loss of hearing ,very deadly headphones no body know about that.

my friend had strong headache cause from his hd 800 .  Doctor tell him to buy speakers and sold his headohones  .

hd 800 :Soundstage sound big but fake not real so many head fier's thing this is a strong point, but it's weak spot cause you lost a huge amount of detail . that's my point .

lcd3 Fazor better than hd 800 in every thing even ( fake hd 800's soundstage ) which sound real in lcd 3 and T1.

About ultimate headphones : should sound perfect with every thing vocals ,low, mids ,highs,soundstage should be like 3d in front ( which no headphones can make this ).

and about you are ranking it's false , it should be : lcd 3> T1> hd800 >th900 .

but for Fun factor : lcd 3F >th900>X2>T1>Hd800 .

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #9,767 of 18,760
  hd 800 sound normal and itchy,ringing in your ear which will cause loss of hearing ,very deadly headphones no body know about that.

my friend had strong headache cause from his hd 800 .  Doctor tell him to buy speakers and sold his headohones  .

hd 800 :Soundstage sound big but fake not real so many head fier's thing this is a strong point, but it's weak spot cause you lost a huge amount of detail . that's my point .

Very interesting to know. 

As to HD800's "fake" soundstage, I would describe it as Senn's house sound.
Especially on the new product line (HD800/700/598/558/518), you will find this ball-shaped soundstage that is obviously "incorrect" if you went to a few classical concerts. However, the fact that so many classical music lovers still prefer HD800 over everything tells us: it might be fake, but it works.

For me, if you take a look at my music preference below, you will find that I listen to only "fake" music: EDM, modern hip-hop and alternative rocks. There is no such thing as real or fake on instruments such as electronic synthesizer or 808 drum machine. It's just a matter of taste, on how you want your music to sound like.

And again, would you be kind enough to share us what you listen to when evaluating headphones? Due to your experience with all these TOTLs, your impression maybe really helpful to some of us. 

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #9,768 of 18,760
In your humble opinion that's where the TH900 falls.  And let me repeat, "in your opinion", which you are absolutely entitled to have but everyone hears differently and have different likes and dislikes in sound signature.  Accept that others have a different opinion and move on please.  In the end, for you, all that matters is what you like and that's the only FACT that is pertinent here.  The rest is conjecture.

x2

:cool:   lol..

x3

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #9,769 of 18,760

Very interesting to know. 

As to HD800's "fake" soundstage, I would describe it as Senn's house sound.
Especially on the new product line (HD800/700/598/558/518), you will find this ball-shaped soundstage that is obviously "incorrect" if you went to a few classical concerts. However, the fact that so many classical music lovers still prefer HD800 over everything tells us: it might be fake, but it works.

For me, if you take a look at my music preference below, you will find that I listen to only "fake" music: EDM, modern hip-hop and alternative rocks. There is no such thing as real or fake on instruments such as electronic synthesizer or 808 drum machine. It's just a matter of taste, on how you want your music to sound like.

And again, would you be kind enough to share us what you listen to when evaluating headphones? Due to your experience with all these TOTLs, your impression maybe really helpful to some of us. 

I listen to every thing sound good.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #9,770 of 18,760
hd 800 sound normal and itchy,ringing in your ear which will cause loss of hearing ,very deadly headphones no body know about that.

What?

You make some very bold statements here.

What on earth does a headphone that sounds 'normal and itchy' sound like?

Ringing that will cause a loss of hearing that nobody knows about? What on earth are you saying? Perhaps you're claiming that the hd800 has a peak that causes deafness? Really?

The hd800 is a 'deadly headphone'?

There is a thing called the volume control that helps to stop deafness and another thing called self control which helps to stop meaningless, stupid and libellous claims.

Please explain how an hd800 is deadly. Sennheiser are very interested in this I'm sure. :wink:

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #9,771 of 18,760
Agree with some points,

but you highly mistaken if you think I didn't listen to 812 I didn't like the sound .

I'll say th900 better in terms of bass and mids , hd 800 sound normal and itchy,ringing in your ear which will cause loss of hearing ,very deadly headphones no body know about that.

lcd3 Fazor better than hd 800 in every thing even ( fake hd 800's soundstage ) which sound real in lcd 3 and T1.

About ultimate headphones : should sound perfect with every thing vocals ,low, mids ,highs,soundstage should be like 3d in front ( which no headphones can make this ).

and about you are ranking it's false , it should be : lcd 3> T1> hd800 >th900 .

but for Fun factor : lcd 3F >th900>X2>T1>Hd800 .

What on earth are you talking about?

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #9,772 of 18,760
Not had time to use the TH900 or listen to music for a week or so, and everything just sound so good after a break.... 
darthsmile.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #9,773 of 18,760
What on earth are you talking about?

about headphones.

What?

You make some very bold statements here.

What on earth does a headphone that sounds 'normal and itchy' sound like?

Ringing that will cause a loss of hearing that nobody knows about? What on earth are you saying? Perhaps you're claiming that the hd800 has a peak that causes deafness? Really?

The hd800 is a 'deadly headphone'?

There is a thing called the volume control that helps to stop deafness and another thing called self control which helps to stop meaningless, stupid and libellous claims.

Please explain how an hd800 is deadly. Sennheiser are very interested in this I'm sure.
wink.gif

Yes you hear me:  itchy and ringing in your ears.  it's real happen to many of my family after listening for hd 800 for long time about 2 hours. Hd 800 good for monitoring purpose .
please watch this video :it happen to me too but not all my family have the same problem so,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_XoZ9J_-OY

I think we should stop feeding the troll.

I'm serious about this .

Apr 6, 2015 at 6:03 AM Post #9,774 of 18,760

Just a picture of my th900 which I dressed up in its outdoor summer-suit today, with cups and ear pads coming from a d5000.The cherry-wood cups makes me feel uncomfortable outside - too fragile and they just look too expensive. Also the thinner ear-pads from the denon give it a less intimidating front profile. The denon on its side, dressed up in the fostex suit, looks quite good I think with the silver frame. No noticeable difference in sound for both headphones I believe. Many thanks to Audiowood for the excellent description.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #9,775 of 18,760
Guys, the last page or so of posts, many of which I've deleted, are a good example of how to get a thread permanently locked. Please don't post rubbish on the forums, you aren't the only people by a considerable margin who actually read the threads.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #9,776 of 18,760
Have to say I love the TH900 & HD800 both fantastic headphones not sure which one is my favorite yet - I've had the TH900 for about 3years & the HD800s only a month. I had listened to the HD800 on a poorly matched h/p amp a& realy didn't like them. I think I stated somewhere the treble was nasty. Anyway I have totally changed my mind after listening. to the HD800 on my Grace M903 whilst working overseas. Just goes to show we can all form opinons about headphones without realy testing them throughly. I would suggest listening to some good quality recordings on at least 2 or more if possible amps prior to formulating an opinion. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone else.

Anyway enjoy the music with whatever headphone you enjoy where ever you are peace to all :speaker::speaker::speaker:

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #9,777 of 18,760
I am actually beginning to dislike my th900. I was laying down at home last night, after a very stressful day. Decided to pop my IEMS in, and relax... I didn't fully enjoy them, I wanted my Fostex!! I'm not even joking... Anyway, still stock. Using woo wa6 with my AK240. Have other tubes coming tomorrow hopefully.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #9,778 of 18,760
I am actually beginning to dislike my th900. I was laying down at home last night, after a very stressful day. Decided to pop my IEMS in, and relax... I didn't fully enjoy them, I wanted my Fostex!! I'm not even joking... Anyway, still stock. Using woo wa6 with my AK240. Have other tubes coming tomorrow hopefully.

I had to re-read that again to make sure I understood it right. :)

Which one of your IEMS did you have one. Curious about if it was the Shure as that's on my radar at the moment.

I can relate to the "want this headphone right now" feeling. The ears want what the ears want. :p

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #9,779 of 18,760
The earsonics velvet are an iem that appear to have many of the same qualities of the th900's (great bass response, solid technicalities). I struggle with whether I should even bother down that path though. Maybe I'll give 'em a try at CanJam later this year. Until then, the th900's are where it's at.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #9,780 of 18,760

Same here... I've been hunting for a IEM that sounds most similar to TH900 (tuning-wise) for months, but still...
People suggest me to give Unique Melody Merlin a try. Had anyone experienced this IEM?

And btw, I think I've found THE portable headphones that sounds most similar to TH900: JBL S700. If you, like me, are looking for a portable solution that remind you of TH900, definitely give S700 a try. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back