Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #8,792 of 18,765
Shipped on thursday from Pricejapan and just arrived. Will pick them up in a few hours 
darthsmile.gif

The last few days has been a long wait for sure.

Excellent service from PJ by the way. 2nd purchase from that place, and fast responses to e-mails. Highly recommended.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #8,793 of 18,765
sorry but i can't agree especially where cables are concerned

Well yes when it comes to the TH900 cabling it isn't.  However for other phones like HD800 or LCD-3 it isn't so bad, HD800 copper, LCD-3 silver, and yes recommendations are subjective but this what most owners prefer so its up to the reader to decide

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #8,796 of 18,765
Well yes when it comes to the TH900 cabling it isn't.  However for other phones like HD800 or LCD-3 it isn't so bad, HD800 copper, LCD-3 silver, and yes recommendations are subjective but this what most owners prefer so its up to the reader to decide

sorry but you've lost me

Jan 19, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #8,798 of 18,765
  Can vouch for Mach3, he has helped me with numerous soldering projects in the past and all of them have held up very well. 

Yeah he is pretty good with mods, I would love to audition the Essence One he pimped up, amazing what he did with that thing....

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #8,799 of 18,765
  Sure is a lot of money for a test, but some peeps in this thread have done and sell the one they less like, happens quite a bit in HD800 thread as well for different reasons.

I would like to have a balance cable for my TH900, but it just isn't worth it considering the quality of stock one

The stock cable already has 4 wires, aka balanced.  The only missing piece is the connector.  Swap out the connector and it will be balanced.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #8,800 of 18,765

The stock cable already has 4 wires, aka balanced.  The only missing piece is the connector.  Swap out the connector and it will be balanced.

Appreciate it.  When I was getting the TH900 repaired the Fostex guy pointed this out as well, I asked him could he throw a 4pin on but couldn't because of policy and procedure

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #8,801 of 18,765
Would be cheaper to keep the stock and re-terminate with 4 pin XLR. Keep the stock 6.3mm plug to make an adapter for single end. :ksc75smile:

This is exactly what I had done with mine. The Th900 cable is UNGODLY long to me. I had mine cut to 4.5feet (or whatever the Grados Rs1i length is.) And reterminated with a Mini XLR 4pin. Then also had the other end terminated with the mate so I can have 1/4 inch to mini XLR jumper.

I also have jumpers from Moon Audio for Ray Samuels to mini XLR and 1/8 inch to mini XLR.

I am a big fan and supporter of the 4 pin mini XLR for retermination.

Edit to correct autocorrect typos.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #8,802 of 18,765
So, first impressions after a few hours of listening. They sound pretty darn good, even through my modest setup. Way more bass than I really need, and I can definitely hear a bit of lower midrange "suckout". Still, the mids are very detailed and clean. I was really worried about the treble and what many have described as "harsh". I find no such thing. Very smooth and detailed, but then again I'm coming from years of using Pro 900s which are known for their artificial/ harsh treble. It's just a massive improvement with the TH900.

At times I find the bass "boomy", but I suspect my source/ amp is the bottleneck here, or I'm just not used to the sound. Now I'm on a hunt for a DAC and amp combo that will tighten the bass and further improve details/ soundstage.

Also, did anyone notice how pretty they are?  
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #8,803 of 18,765
  Appreciate it.  When I was getting the TH900 repaired the Fostex guy pointed this out as well, I asked him could he throw a 4pin on but couldn't because of policy and procedure

Unfortunately, you void the warranty if you change the cable at the drivers or the connector.
mad.gif

My warranty has long since passed and the cabling I now have allows me to swap out the main cable and the ability use any adapter as long as the main cable has the Audeze female mini 4-pin XLR connectors at one end and dual male 3-pin XLR's on the other.  The adapter needs to have dual female 3-pin XLR's on one end and any other type to connect to the headamp.  I can swap out main cables and/or adapters to work with any type of headamp (Balanced dual 3-pin XLR, balanced single 4-pin XLR and Single ended 3.5 or 6.3mm connectors)

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #8,804 of 18,765
  So, first impressions after a few hours of listening. They sound pretty darn good, even through my modest setup. Way more bass than I really need, and I can definitely hear a bit of lower midrange "suckout". Still, the mids are very detailed and clean. I was really worried about the treble and what many have described as "harsh". I find no such thing. Very smooth and detailed, but then again I'm coming from years of using Pro 900s which are known for their artificial/ harsh treble. It's just a massive improvement with the TH900.

At times I find the bass "boomy", but I suspect my source/ amp is the bottleneck here, or I'm just not used to the sound. Now I'm on a hunt for a DAC and amp combo that will tighten the bass and further improve details/ soundstage.

Also, did anyone notice how pretty they are?  
biggrin.gif

I find that it's often the recording (Source) that has been mixed that way.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #8,805 of 18,765

Are you sure about that? I think someone in this thread said the cable must be exchanged for a balanced connection... and I don't want to cut the stock cable, which is just fine for me, to see it have just 3 wires :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back