Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 18, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #8,776 of 18,776
Not mine. 

I have his Complement on my HD800s and they are incredible. I never thought that cables could make such a difference. 

I am not a cable believer but is this really true? Is it night and day diff?

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #8,777 of 18,776
What did your cake upgrade bring to your phones, compared to original?

More detail (hearing more than I had before), better timbrel accuracy (instruments and voices sound more natural) and a wider, more defined soundstage (placement of instruments and voices more precise).  Again, this is what I hear, you may perceive it differently.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #8,778 of 18,776
What did your cake upgrade bring to your phones, compared to original?

I'm not speaking from any experience whatsoever for aftermarket cables for TH900, and I will stand corrected if I'm wrong, but low efficient headphones like TH900 "which has a great cable to start with" don't really benefit from re-cabling at all, the only efficient headphone I know that does is some Grado phones.

Early on in this thread we concluded that there were no benefits for re-cabling this phone, some peeps that did re-cable balance or SE said they sounded the same as stock.

My own experience and personal belief is aftermarket cabling can improve SQ greatly depending on the application, I use aftermarket cabling in my current rig so I'm not a hater of it.  If there were a noticeable +difference, I would of done it already.

If anyone has 2 TH900 one stock cable, one aftermarket cable, and can put this to rest once and for all it would be much appreciated.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #8,779 of 18,776
  I'm not speaking from any experience whatsoever for aftermarket cables for TH900, and I will stand corrected if I'm wrong, but low efficient headphones like TH900 "which has a great cable to start with" don't really benefit from re-cabling at all, the only efficient headphone I know that does is some Grado phones.

Early on in this thread we concluded that there were no benefits for re-cabling this phone, some peeps that did re-cable balance or SE said they sounded the same as stock.

My own experience and personal belief is aftermarket cabling can improve SQ greatly depending on the application, I use aftermarket cabling in my current rig so I'm not a hater of it.  If there were a noticeable +difference, I would of done it already.

If anyone has 2 TH900 one stock cable, one aftermarket cable, and can put this to rest once and for all it would be much appreciated.

That's one expensive exercise just to prove a point. $1400 x 2 + $500 (high end re-cabling) = $3300 Ouch!!!
Can I just throw in my 2 cents and say the stock cable is 7N copper (Japanese don't mess around, that's some serious quality cable).

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #8,780 of 18,776

That's one expensive exercise just to prove a point. $1400 x 2 + $500 (high end re-cabling) = $3300 Ouch!!!
Can I just throw in my 2 cents and say the stock cable is 7N copper (Japanese don't mess around, that's some serious quality cable).

Sure is a lot of money for a test, but some peeps in this thread have done and sell the one they less like, happens quite a bit in HD800 thread as well for different reasons.

I would like to have a balance cable for my TH900, but it just isn't worth it considering the quality of stock one

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #8,781 of 18,776
  Sure is a lot of money for a test, but some peeps in this thread have done and sell the one they less like, happens quite a bit in HD800 thread as well for different reasons.

I would like to have a balance cable for my TH900, but it just isn't worth it considering the quality of stock one

Would be cheaper to keep the stock and re-terminate with 4 pin XLR. Keep the stock 6.3mm plug to make an adapter for single end. 
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #8,782 of 18,776
I am not a cable believer but is this really true? Is it night and day diff?

For me it is clearly different and I never believed that cables could make a large impact on the sound. 

Maybe it's placebo, maybe it's not. Guess you'll have to decide for yourself after trying some.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #8,783 of 18,776
clains that after market cables change sound have not been objectively verified so they're subjective. like most questions in this hobby the answers depend on who you ask.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #8,784 of 18,776
clains that after market cables change sound have not been objectively verified so they're subjective. like most questions in this hobby the answers depend on who you ask.

I completely agree. I know that many very established head-fiers do not believe in cables at all while others can't live without them! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #8,785 of 18,776

Agree, absolutely subjective, but you can form a somewhat accurate idea through multiple sources not just head-fi

Quote:
  For me it is clearly different and I never believed that cables could make a large impact on the sound. 

Maybe it's placebo, maybe it's not. Guess you'll have to decide for yourself after trying some.

If it's too hard to tell between placebo or a sonic difference, then stock maybe the better choice.  However I still would really like to go 4pin with my TH900, for no other reason than having it balanced

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #8,786 of 18,776
  Agree, absolutely subjective, but you can form a somewhat accurate idea through multiple sources not just head-fi
If it's too hard to tell between placebo or a sonic difference, then stock maybe the better choice.  However I still would really like to go 4pin with my TH900, for no other reason than having it balanced

I meant that some people may see it as placebo whereas some will not. 

The best source is yourself. No harm in trying. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #8,790 of 18,776
not if it's based entirely on subjective impressions

No, but if your new and want to start building your first rig, you can learn a lot off others even if its somewhat subjective information, it still gives you a basic understanding of what you would like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back