Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 17, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #8,761 of 18,776
think i know clarity when i hear it in cans and speakers and it's not just about increased treble. stax have it, my harbeth m30.1s have it and so does the th900. heard a few audeze cans and they sounded kinda thick and closed-in with rolled-off highs. which is cool if that kind of darker, lush presentation does it for you. haven't heard the fazor version tho. yet to hear a planar magnetic can that creates a sense of air around instruments like dynamics do and that includes the abyss.
interesting - thanks
not strange - just personal preference is all which is subjective. neutrality is a moving target. folks tend to misuse the term to support their subjective perceptions. that's what i've noticed anyways here and at other audio forums.

Well, the LCD-3Fs are not that dark and thick anymore and are only just south of neutral to my ears now. However, the TH-900s do seem to have more air in the treble.
Everything in headphones is subjective and it's good that we have so many options. But I think that neutrality doesn't change, or not by much. For example I think that a V-shaped can will never be considered neutral

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #8,762 of 18,776
if a can has a relatively flat fr through the bass and mids but the treble is too shelved down is that neutral? well that depends on who you ask.

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #8,763 of 18,776
Out of the 2 amp, the phonitor 2 is better at driving a wider range of headphones?

No, not really. I was surprised by the TH900+V281 being so off for me... actually I like my presentation sparkly, but with good authority in the bass. The V281 is still a touch warm, but very nice with most of my headphones (T90, T1, T5p, K812, Abyss etc.) Overall I'd say the difference comes down to crossfeed or raw power, but both are very versatile in their combination with headphones. As I said above, many do like TH900+V281 as well.

For me the Phonitor2 is a nicer companion to the TH900 though. Still I like the leaner presentation of the HP-A8 better with the TH900.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #8,764 of 18,776
Sometimes I go for a while without listening to the TH900. Then when I do, I am glad I bought them. Excellent sounding and to my ears, very open and layered sounding. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #8,765 of 18,776
I just borrowed a pair of TH900s and wow, they are hands down the best closed headphones I have tried, and I've tried most of the high end headphones except for the XC. 

Sounds quite U shaped and exciting, but not overly so. Quite open sounding as well, which I was not expecting. They are actually not too bad with minimal amplification as well, but they sound superb being run off the B22. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #8,766 of 18,776
  I just borrowed a pair of TH900s and wow, they are hands down the best closed headphones I have tried, and I've tried most of the high end headphones except for the XC. 

Sounds quite U shaped and exciting, but not overly so. Quite open sounding as well, which I was not expecting. They are actually not too bad with minimal amplification as well, but they sound superb being run off the B22. 

Time to invest in a pair !
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #8,767 of 18,776

It is very hard to resist seeing this everyday indeed!

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the slightly fragile feeling build and the recessed mids can be annoying at times.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #8,768 of 18,776

It is very hard to resist seeing this everyday indeed!

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the slightly fragile feeling build and the recessed mids can be annoying at times.

You need to let Peter, DHC, add some triple threats to your TH900's.  His cables make that puppy sing!

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #8,769 of 18,776

You need to let Peter, DHC, add some triple threats to your TH900's.  His cables make that puppy sing!

Not mine. 

I have his Complement on my HD800s and they are incredible. I never thought that cables could make such a difference. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #8,770 of 18,776
  Not mine. 

I have his Complement on my HD800s and they are incredible. I never thought that cables could make such a difference. 

I have the Complement3's on my TH900's.  Sweet sounding and the stage just opens up more than with the stock cable.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #8,771 of 18,776
Only when they are inadequately amped

I agree...easily the best closed back high end phone off minimal amplification...very little difference straight out of my C4 compared to Burson Conductor!!

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #8,773 of 18,776
Tell me more of this cable and cost and does it really change the th900 so much for the better? P.s.agree with slightly fragile feel where the cup meets the band!

The site is doublehelixcables.com and contact the owner, Peter Bradstock, at doublehelixcables@gmail.com.  He has many different cable types and implementations and will recommend what fits best based on the equipment in your chain, financial and sound quality goals.  As always, how something sounds is VERY subjective and how much your willing to pay for an increase in quaility, however big or small, can only be determined by you.  For his high end cables the prices are not on the budget end of the spectrum but the quality and workmanship of his products, regardless of price, are top notch. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #8,774 of 18,776
Tell me more of this cable and cost and does it really change the th900 so much for the better? P.s.agree with slightly fragile feel where the cup meets the band!

The site is doublehelixcables.com and contact the owner, Peter Bradstock, at doublehelixcables@gmail.com.  He has many different cable types and implementations and will recommend what fits best based on the equipment in your chain, financial and sound quality goals.  As always, how something sounds is VERY subjective and how much your willing to pay for an increase in quaility, however big or small, can only be determined by you.  For his high end cables the prices are not on the budget end of the spectrum but the quality and workmanship of his products, regardless of price, are top notch. 

Thanks for that, some real nice cables. I'm drooling over an iem cable for 850:disappointed: but am waiting for an sxc8 replacement for my 846, and see how that is. It's only 350 for their 8 24 awg. Concerning th900 still waiting for lawton scorpian cable seems to take 8 weeks, he is throwing in free angle pads, im a pro egg membrane pad kinda guy but nice make good. Let you folks know my thoughts when it comes in.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #8,775 of 18,776

What did your cake upgrade bring to your phones, compared to original?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back