Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #8,806 of 18,765
Are you sure about that? I think someone in this thread said the cable must be exchanged for a balanced connection... and I don't want to cut the stock cable, which is just fine for me, to see it have just 3 wires :wink:

Did I miss something? My understanding is that there is no benefit going in balanced mode.

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #8,807 of 18,765

Are you sure about that? I think someone in this thread said the cable must be exchanged for a balanced connection... and I don't want to cut the stock cable, which is just fine for me, to see it have just 3 wires :wink:

I've taken it apart myself and there are, in fact, 4 wires!

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #8,809 of 18,765
Did I miss something? My understanding is that there is no benefit going in balanced mode.

That's a very generalized statement.  If your upstream equipment, DAC/Headamp, are not balanced then the only benefit is to remove crosstalk between channels at the drivers.

Decent articles explaining the benefits:

http://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/balancedheadphones/one.html

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #8,810 of 18,765

I don't think so either, especially since the TH900 does not need the power... I might nevertheless do the modification to see if they pair better with the V281 in balanced mode than single ended. Problem is that I have no certified possibility to get the exact same volume when switching, so any perceived improvement may just be increased volume... so I won't be able to correctly check that. Hm, maybe not worth it after all...

Thanks a lot. In case I decide to do that I won't have an unpleasant surprise :wink:

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #8,811 of 18,765
Balanced mine a long time ago.

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #8,813 of 18,765

I find that it's often the recording (Source) that has been mixed that way.

That's certainly true. But after listening to it more and getting more used to the sound signature I find the quality, texture and detail of the low frequencies to be the best I've ever heard in any headphone.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #8,815 of 18,765
not really - was thinking about going for the lawton cup upgrade
wink.gif

To be honest I don't think the Lawton audio looks as good as the stock cups. Sure they are deeper and will probably improve the sound some what.
But they so expensive $600 for the heirloom series, LOL you can grab a TH600 for that much. This is just my opinion,
If you can afford it more power to you.

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #8,817 of 18,765

TH900 has 4 and can be balance no problems

Quote:

Unfortunately, you void the warranty if you change the cable at the drivers or the connector.
mad.gif

My warranty has long since passed and the cabling I now have allows me to swap out the main cable and the ability use any adapter as long as the main cable has the Audeze female mini 4-pin XLR connectors at one end and dual male 3-pin XLR's on the other.  The adapter needs to have dual female 3-pin XLR's on one end and any other type to connect to the headamp.  I can swap out main cables and/or adapters to work with any type of headamp (Balanced dual 3-pin XLR, balanced single 4-pin XLR and Single ended 3.5 or 6.3mm connectors)

#00356 few years now out of warranty
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #8,818 of 18,765

True statement.  

BTG Audio re-terminated mine to balanced and they confirmed the stock cable is 4 wires.  Conversion to balanced simply requires re-termination with a balanced connector on the amp end.  No need to rewire/recable.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #8,819 of 18,765
Had mine recalled with a 8 run of gold/silver from Whiplash. Excellent sounding. Improved the bass and just about everything else with no negatives. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #8,820 of 18,765
Just received my TH900 today, loving the sound so far! :D
Now onto my next goal.... DNA Stratus to drive HD800 and TH900. I feel like my poor old Xonar Essence One isn't doing them the justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back