Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #8,821 of 18,763
  Just received my TH900 today, loving the sound so far! :D
Now onto my next goal.... DNA Stratus to drive HD800 and TH900. I feel like my poor old Xonar Essence One isn't doing them the justice.

Slap in 6xMUSES01 into LFP&I/V, 2xMUSES02orMUSES01 into amp section and you're E1 should be up to speed.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #8,822 of 18,763

Slap in 6xMUSES01 into LFP&I/V, 2xMUSES02orMUSES01 into amp section and you're E1 should be up to speed.

Yeah I have been thinking about getting MUSES opamps, last time i checked one went for $50, wonder if they're available for cheaper now.

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #8,824 of 18,763
  Just received my TH900 today, loving the sound so far! :D
Now onto my next goal.... DNA Stratus to drive HD800 and TH900. I feel like my poor old Xonar Essence One isn't doing them the justice.

Don't knock your Essence One around too much mate, throw some Muses opamps in and the thing will sing.....  I still think its better then some other dac/amp combos which are 4 times the price, I just wish I still hadn't gotten rid of mine....

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #8,825 of 18,763
Just wondering if anyone in this thread has ever tried the Kennerton Magister. It looks like it might be receiving a Massdrop soon, and it got at least one extremely glowing review from a guy who bought it instead of the TH900.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #8,826 of 18,763
  Just wondering if anyone in this thread has ever tried the Kennerton Magister. It looks like it might be receiving a Massdrop soon, and it got at least one extremely glowing review from a guy who bought it instead of the TH900.

Kennerton Magister, a very nice looking headphone with an antique looklike cups, :)
Just be careful the review on youtube, not sure if he owns it or received to test drive, there are people who give a positive review when they get to test drive for free.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #8,827 of 18,763
Hello guys and gals.  I have been catching up reading the TH-900 thread for the past few weeks.  I stopped reading Head-Fi for a few months while I was looking for gainful employment.  You know how it goes.  Reading leads to wanting. Wanting leads to buying.  Buying while in career transition is not a good thing.  Plus, you should spend your time on job boards and not on headphone boards.  That is your public service announcement for the day.  Suffice it to say that I am back on track making some dollars to fund my addiction.  

Over the course of reading months worth of posts, there were plenty of things I wanted to comment on, but I'm not going to run back and find the specific posts.  So over the next few hours to days, I'm going to throw you my input on some things that I remember.

I would like to start with the transportable topic.  I don't say portable, because I definitely don't wear the TH-900 out and about.  But I do transport them to and from work every day.  I use a Pelican 1300 case.  Fits perfect.  I believe that it is similar in size to the Audeze case and is about 1/3 less.  It fits in my Sandpiper of California (Military style backpack).

I have been using the RSA Intruder as my amp.
Here is a picture of my cans in the case.  And a link to the case and the backpack I mention.
Enjoy...
Howlin' Fester...

TH900%20in%20case.jpg
TH900%20in%20case.jpg
TH900%20in%20case.jpg

Pelican 1300 Case:  
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1300-Case-Foam-Camera/dp/B00009XVKT/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421770038&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+1300

Sandpiper Backpack: 
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NX966Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RS9KSD7TBX0W&coliid=I2A8XR0HAVPN4V&psc=1

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #8,828 of 18,763
  Hello guys and gals.  I have been catching up reading the TH-900 thread for the past few weeks.  I stopped reading Head-Fi for a few months while I was looking for gainful employment.  You know how it goes.  Reading leads to wanting. Wanting leads to buying.  Buying while in career transition is not a good thing.  Plus, you should spend your time on job boards and not on headphone boards.  That is your public service announcement for the day.  Suffice it to say that I am back on track making some dollars to fund my addiction.  

Over the course of reading months worth of posts, there were plenty of things I wanted to comment on, but I'm not going to run back and find the specific posts.  So over the next few hours to days, I'm going to throw you my input on some things that I remember.

I would like to start with the transportable topic.  I don't say portable, because I definitely don't wear the TH-900 out and about.  But I do transport them to and from work every day.  I use a Pelican 1300 case.  Fits perfect.  I believe that it is similar in size to the Audeze case and is about 1/3 less.  It fits in my Sandpiper of California (Military style backpack).

I have been using the RSA Intruder as my amp.
Here is a picture of my cans in the case.  And a link to the case and the backpack I mention.
Enjoy...
Howlin' Fester...

TH900%20in%20case.jpg
TH900%20in%20case.jpg
TH900%20in%20case.jpg

Pelican 1300 Case:  
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1300-Case-Foam-Camera/dp/B00009XVKT/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421770038&sr=8-3&keywords=pelican+1300

Sandpiper Backpack: 
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NX966Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RS9KSD7TBX0W&coliid=I2A8XR0HAVPN4V&psc=1

Did you make that hole in the case's foam or did it come by default?

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #8,829 of 18,763

I have the exact case, Pelican, you basically make your own holes, but it's easy, they are little cubes, 

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #8,830 of 18,763

The Pelican cases come with "Pick and Pluck" foam.  (Or at least you should purchase one that includes the foam.  They do sell ones that are sans foam.)

What you see are two layers of the pick and pluck foam in a pattern that I call a Spartan Helmet with Maynard 3rd Eye.  Think I will trademark that...  
wink_face.gif

Bottom layer has an area for the cups and creates a shelf for the band.  Also Inserted the cable termination in the middle area (3rd Eye).
Top layer is an oval shape with particular care at the bottom for the rubber strain relief.

One thing I saw someone commenting on was the rubber strain relief.  I don't seem to have a problem with mine so far.  I keep them in the case when not in use.  Purchased in march of 2014, so almost a year.  When I put them in the case, I bring the two individual cables to the top of the helmet (loosely - don't pull tight) then I loop them around in a circular motion.

I also have to point out that my cable has been shortened to about 5.5 feet, so the entire cable is not curled up in that picture.  I just reattached the truncated section, and it adds 2 more loops to what is shown in the picture.  

Pic of Spartan Helmet with Maynard 3rd Eye...  Otherwise known as TH-900 foam pattern.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #8,831 of 18,763
Hmm, niiice :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #8,832 of 18,763

Kennerton Magister, a very nice looking headphone with an antique looklike cups, :)
Just be careful the review on youtube, not sure if he owns it or received to test drive, there are people who give a positive review when they get to test drive for free.

Interestingly enough it was sent to him for a review and he ended up buying it. But temper that with the fact that when I contacted him he offered to sell it.

Either way, I'm interested enough to be keeping an eye on this Massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back