Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #3,211 of 18,765
Quote:
Peter-the ZDSE has been known for years as one of the few OTL amps that pairs exceptionally with both high and low impedance cans. Outputs at both 3 & 12 ohms.Uncle Erik has an incredible write up about why the Zana can do what it does...I'll dig it up sometime. Get on the ball man.
tongue_smile.gif

-Daniel

I guess I've never really looked into the ZD specs that closely.  Just heard it once with the HD800s (300ohms) and never with low impedance cans.
Quote:

I'm looking forward to that imminent pairing myself with the fully-powered GS-X MKII. I know there's historically been a difference of opinion between us as far as gear, but since we seem to share an appreciation for the HeadAmp Dynalo-based amps, I find your comment to be especially encouraging. It seems like there will finally be a combo of gear that we can agree on is good.
wink.gif

I agree about the ZD as well btw - a great amp for both low-impedance and high-impedance headphones. I like the fact that Craig (Eddie Current) personally uses the Audio-Technica AD2K with it (which is a quintessential low-impedance high-sensitivity headphone).

Looks like we're in Bizarro world here...we both completely agree. 
size]
 That said, the GS-X / TH-900 (I've got the upgrade modules in mine) is simply breath taking. You should be very happy with the pairing.

Been meaning to give the AD2K a try, but with the newer version, I've put that off a bit.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3,212 of 18,765
Quote:
What are the differences between headamps GS-X and GS-X MKll, I've searched google but can't find any info

All of the info is spread between these 2 threads in the Amps forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/112029/the-gs-1-thread

The GS-X MKII will have the brand-new Dynalo+ modules plus a beefier PSU (i.e., bigger toroidal transformers) to support the higher power output capability - that is, power output exceeding the capability of an old GS-X upgraded w/ Dynalo+ modules. The MKII is also supposed to have a BHSE-esque faceplate, two TRS combo jacks (to support 3-pin XLR balanced as well as 1/4" headphone plugs), and a 4-pin XLR jack. The Dynalo+ modules plus the PSU upgrade will make the MKII capable of driving pretty much any headphone ranging from ultra-sensitive IEMs to orthodynamic headphones. The MKII is also more expensive than the original was - there was a limited-time intro price that's supposed to increase even more later.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #3,213 of 18,765
Was at NAMM today and had a chance to try the Fostex HP-A8C.. It was pretty noisy around me, but from what I could clearly hear I did like the combo. Soundstage was open and airy, the bass was deep and tight, and the treble was surprisingly smooth. Again not the best conditions to try the combo since the TH900s let a decent amount of noise in, but the fostex dac/amp did seem to pair well with the TH900s (which goes along the lines of other comments on this thread).

*One funny thing about the setup at the Fostex booth at NAMM - they actually had the TH900 flagships on the rinky-dink wire stand that comes in the box (I guess showing you what you get - but it looked embarrassing/made the headphones look un-important).

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #3,214 of 18,765
The stands truly are embarrassing. For a culture that tends to cram extras into enthusiast products, a cheap wire stand with a $2000 headphone was a surprise.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #3,215 of 18,765
Quote:

All of the info is spread between these 2 threads in the Amps forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632948/the-headamp-gs-x-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/112029/the-gs-1-thread

The GS-X MKII will have the brand-new Dynalo+ modules plus a beefier PSU (i.e., bigger toroidal transformers) to support the higher power output capability - that is, power output exceeding the capability of an old GS-X upgraded w/ Dynalo+ modules. The MKII is also supposed to have a BHSE-esque faceplate, two TRS combo jacks (to support 3-pin XLR balanced as well as 1/4" headphone plugs), and a 4-pin XLR jack. The Dynalo+ modules plus the PSU upgrade will make the MKII capable of driving pretty much any headphone ranging from ultra-sensitive IEMs to orthodynamic headphones. The MKII is also more expensive than the original was - there was a limited-time intro price that's supposed to increase even more later.

Thanks Asr, appreciate the info. earlier today I contacted Justin from Headamp and he said "Quote" All new amps shipping are the new version.  I have forwarded your email to Addicted 2 Audio as they are the exclusive HeadAmp dealer for Australia.

So all is good, just have to wait for the new shipment to arrive to addicted 2 audio mid feb. The GS-X is what I want to drive my TH900 now and future Phones after reading lots of reviews, and for what other head-fiers like yourself and MacedonianHero have to say. So it's all good :)

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #3,216 of 18,765
The stands truly are embarrassing. For a culture that tends to cram extras into enthusiast products, a cheap wire stand with a $2000 headphone was a surprise.

X2.. Even a banana hanger from amazon is way better..of course hanging from the wood and not the hook.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3,218 of 18,765
Not to be an enabler or anything 
size]
, but there's an Open Box pair on Headroom (a great company to buy from...and a great Head-fi sponsor) on sale for $1699. Dang, I had to buy mine a few weeks ago at full price. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3,219 of 18,765
can anyone share their impressions/comparisons of the th900 and the denon d7000, especially the mids?
are the mids as recessed as some are saying?

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #3,220 of 18,765
Hey folks, has anyone compared the HD600 to the TH900? I'm looking for a sub-$1K headphone that will be complementary to my TH900. Obviously the TH900, with its several times the price tag, should be a superior headphone overall (although David Solomon thinks otherwise), but I wonder if the HD600 are better than the TH900 in certain aspects that makes them work better for certain genres of music.

The amp I'll be using is Zana Deux SE, which is said to be a great synergy with the TH900 as well as the HD600; I heard Craig personally uses his ZDSE with the HD600.

Feb 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #3,221 of 18,765
Hey folks, has anyone compared the HD600 to the TH900? I'm looking for a sub-$1K headphone that will be complementary to my TH900. Obviously the TH900, with its several times the price tag, should be a superior headphone overall (although David Solomon thinks otherwise), but I wonder if the HD600 are better than the TH900 in certain aspects that makes them work better for certain genres of music.

The amp I'll be using is Zana Deux SE, which is said to be a great synergy with the TH900 as well as the HD600; I heard Craig personally uses his ZDSE with the HD600.

Not sure about hd 600 since I preferred 650 and forgot about big brother sound eon agos. But in case of 650 I preferred slow pace jazz vocal on it to th900. Listening to ne me quitte pas from 650 is an experience I haven't found in any dynamic flagships.

Feb 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,222 of 18,765
Not sure about the HD600, but Craig definitely uses the Audio-Technica AD2K, which is also amped well by the ZD, and complementary to the TH900. If you want a headphone that really has some zing to it, then the AD2K would be up your alley. The HD600 might as well be a casual stroll in the park compared to the AD2K's hell-bent racing streak.

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,224 of 18,765
Quote:
Not sure about the HD600, but Craig definitely uses the Audio-Technica AD2K, which is also amped well by the ZD, and complementary to the TH900. If you want a headphone that really has some zing to it, then the AD2K would be up your alley. The HD600 might as well be a casual stroll in the park compared to the AD2K's hell-bent racing streak.

There's now an AD2000X, which is a bit better too. I agree though -- to me they make other headphones sound asleep in comparison.

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #3,225 of 18,765
It surprises me that people can enjoy cans several tiers below once they're accustomed to high-end. HD600 or even the AD2K after the TH900? For me, they'd hardly get any listening time, though I like both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back