Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 19, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #3,121 of 18,776
Not sure if this has been said before; while his earcups do look great and are a nice upgrade looks wise over the D7000s, they are a drastic downgrade to the TH-900's earcups in that regard IMHO.

That I agree. Mark says he'll introduce new, better wooden cups for the TH900 in 2013 Q1, but I'm not sure if they will rival the TH900's cups in terms of quality.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #3,123 of 18,776
Quote:
That I agree. Mark says he'll introduce new, better wooden cups for the TH900 in 2013 Q1, but I'm not sure if they will rival the TH900's cups in terms of quality.

in terms of quality and cosmetics.. the th900 cups get a lot of compliments from people who see them.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #3,124 of 18,776
There's nothing I've seen on any can that trumps the TH900 cups. Of course opinions differ... and the wood on other great cans is great... but for me, the Urushi cups are an incredible bonus to the fact that they sound so great. I don't need it, but damn, it's fine looking. 
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #3,125 of 18,776
Quote:
Actually, Mark Lawton posted in this thread a couple months ago to clear any misunderstanding for people like you. He won't keep your stock cups and sell them for profit, he will return them to you as they are.

That must be a new policy, because in the past he would most definitely keep your Denon cups unless you paid extra to get them back. Think about it: he sells packages of the D5000 / D7000 cups and cables to D2000 owners. How would he get those parts?

It's good to know he's not charging TH900 owners to get their cups back however. Echoing others in this thread: the TH900 cups are better than the current Lawton cups (in my opinion of course). It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with next. I imagine it'll start to get very costly if he tries to do anything remotely like the TH900 lacquer treatment, however.

I have nothing against the Lawton mods, by the by. I really like the LA2000 I own and have been impressed by the LA7000s I've heard. I just cringe when I think of changing anything about the TH900.

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3,126 of 18,776
Quote:

That must be a new policy, because in the past he would most definitely keep your Denon cups unless you paid extra to get them back. Think about it: he sells packages of the D5000 / D7000 cups and cables to D2000 owners. How would he get those parts?

It's good to know he's not charging TH900 owners to get their cups back however. Echoing others in this thread: the TH900 cups are better than the current Lawton cups (in my opinion of course). It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with next. I imagine it'll start to get very costly if he tries to do anything remotely like the TH900 lacquer treatment, however.

I have nothing against the Lawton mods, by the by. I really like the LA2000 I own and have been impressed by the LA7000s I've heard. I just cringe when I think of changing anything about the TH900.

I love my LA7000 , and have nothing but good things to say about the work Mark has done with them.The TH900 is a different beast compared to the D7000 IMO,I can hardly wait to hear opinions of his TH900 mod results.I just think replacing a cup that is such a part of making the TH900 special , makes no sense , nor does not returning your original cups free of charge.You paid for them originally, or maybe I'm missing something? I am aware now of the new policy, but IMO it  should have never been thus

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #3,128 of 18,776
Quote:
Not sure if this has been said before; while his earcups do look great and are a nice upgrade looks wise over the D7000s, they are a drastic downgrade to the TH-900's earcups in that regard IMHO.

Completely agree. I appreciate the LA7000 very much, but LA mod completely destroys the TH900 IMO.
I tried the Angle pads for TH900, it isolates better but sounds worse, the focus and imaging is lost.
It make more sense to keep the stock cups and pads, just do the recable mod only.

I am looking forward to the LA600 however.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #3,129 of 18,776
Quote:

Completely agree. I appreciate the LA7000 very much, but LA mod completely destroys the TH900 IMO.
I tried the Angle pads for TH900, it isolates better but sounds worse, the focus and imaging is lost.
It make more sense to keep the stock cups and pads, just do the recable mod only.

Was the LA recabling beneficial in sound quality? I believe they used Jena Lab's copper wire.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #3,130 of 18,776

Thank you for the info. I was curious on the pads since they were only $99 & looked like they were better for isolation (and therefore possibly outdoor use). I thought that I may lose soundstage but didn't occur to me it losing focus.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #3,132 of 18,776
I don't know, I  thought of recabling TH900 but it is such a beauty and I decided to keep it intact.
I guess the TH900 has the same cable with D7000 which itself is pretty high quality, but probably not as good as Jena.

Normally recablers offer a direct vs socket option but for some reason with the TH-900's I see only direct? I guess cos the current exit hole out of the cup is too small to place a socket?

Then one could use the original cable & some other 3rd party cable too.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #3,133 of 18,776
Quote:
Thank you for the info. I was curious on the pads since they were only $99 & looked like they were better for isolation (and therefore possibly outdoor use). I thought that I may lose soundstage but didn't occur to me it losing focus.

With the Angle Pads there is better isolation, the bass echos inside and increase the perceived bass.
However the soundstage just doesn't sound right to me.
In terms of comfort it is not as good as the stock pads but still great, not an issue at all.
I believe there's somebody who like the sound presentation of the Angle pads.

There is not enough space for the TH900 to add a socket.
You can however do something like this.
Can be done by BTG audio/Double Helix.
But if I ever recable my TH900 I will do hardwire for the best quality.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #3,134 of 18,776
Other then the cable if you only had a balanced out amp, why would you want to change anything, the TH900 is a work of art with looks and sound.

This just my own opinion :)

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #3,135 of 18,776
got HD650 it is really good for what i need yet one big problem is they do leak the sound that even the one who is outside the room can hear it, i listen to music on the PC with 52% vol and even the player is 50% too! and the amp/dac less than 50% still this massive leakage.

will the TH900 solve this problem? also from reading i know that the TH900 will serve my need of music so for now i need to know about the leaking level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back