Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2,551 of 18,765
Quote:
What's the URL for the listing?

Looks like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-900-/300825951470?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item460a9fbcee

Making me regret the one I've been waiting for from Moon for a month and a half, I thought 10% off was a good deal.  Still, I'd rather support Drew, as long as he can actually get these things in.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #2,552 of 18,765
Quote:
Looks like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fostex-TH-900-/300825951470?pt=AU_headphone&hash=item460a9fbcee

Making me regret the one I've been waiting for from Moon for a month and a half, I thought 10% off was a good deal.  Still, I'd rather support Drew, as long as he can actually get these things in.

well, plus the customs postage thing can potentially be an issue - its always easier to buy in the states, saving an extra 5% wouldn't be worth it (for me). I think 10% off is still a great deal on the TH900s.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,554 of 18,765
Now that I have enough budget, I am seriously considering purchasing the Zana Deux SE for my TH900. From what people have said, it seems like one of, not the best headphone amp for the TH900 with exceptional clarity and an expansive soundstage, sounding more like an ideal solid state albeit being an OTL tube amp with unbelievably low output impedance to drive this low impedance headphone effortlessly.

Could anyone elaborate on their thoughts? This would probably be the end-game for me so I need to choose carefully.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2,556 of 18,765
Quote:
well, plus the customs postage thing can potentially be an issue - its always easier to buy in the states, saving an extra 5% wouldn't be worth it (for me). I think 10% off is still a great deal on the TH900s.

It would be roughly an extra 10% off-  $1800 as opposed to $1600.  Not a big deal, Australia just has a lower MSRP for it, as they do at random for some products (while having really high prices for others.)  America generally doesn't get the short straw with pricing - I guess this is one of those times.  

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #2,557 of 18,765
Quote:
It would be roughly an extra 10% off-  $1800 as opposed to $1600.  Not a big deal, Australia just has a lower MSRP for it, as they do at random for some products (while having really high prices for others.)  America generally doesn't get the short straw with pricing - I guess this is one of those times.  

Austalia's economy is booming by the Chinese demand for their mined exports, however, you have to also take under consideration the shipping fee from Japan to Aussie, perhaps it's cheaper, and the strong Australian dollar. We are in a recession so spending $2000 on a headphone is something only a few people can do, and if they can why not reap the profits from it by the vendors? I still think the TH900 is worth it but the astronomical prices for headphones is increasing too much for my taste (and wallet).

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2,558 of 18,765
Quote:
At 1600 Canadian  delivered, I can swallow customs costs.At 2 grand with tax they would cost 2300

It would be diff for us in the states.. as long as the seller is out of state we don't pay the sales tax 
biggrin.gif
 (at least for CA) but I can understand where you're coming from..

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #2,559 of 18,765
Quote:
There's a pretty interesting TH900 review at:
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com.au/

thanks for the share - i always enjoy reading reviews of headphones i own / or want.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:35 AM Post #2,560 of 18,765
This would probably be the end-game for me so I need to choose carefully.

Once the game ends... a new beginning is just round the corner, no one shall rest in peace in headfi, Internet gurus and elderly claims the 009 smoke my end-game combo and blow it out of space. I just awoken from my deep sleep and back into the headphone existence.

People call it reincarnation in the east.. :D

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #2,561 of 18,765
TH900 Candy for your ears

I've had the TH900 for 3 days now, they are every bit as good as everyone has said, just beautiful in every way....  I'm kind of new to audiophile equipment so I'm no expert.... that said, here's my take on the Fostex TH900.

As many have pointed out they are indeed a work of art.  I went outside to take a closer look in natural light, the workmanship is incredible and the can's are sexy as all hell.

When I first started listening to them it was kind of weird, not what I expected, it was like my ears had to have time to adjust or something... weird.... However when they did it was pure magic, and continues even as I type this post. 

The sound detail is outstanding, so is the sound stage which was surprisingly wide. Bass is strong, tight, and rounds off nicely. Highs are great but could be better,  two possible reasons, the burn-in period for both essence one amp, and TH900, which should improve overtime.  Midrange is where it's at though, for me the TH900 has the best midrange I've ever heard, just glorious.

TH900 Sound stage was the big surprise being a closed headphone and all.  This was the thing that worried me the most, however I would not even call them a closed headphone, sure they look closed, but I've had open headphones with more isolation then these.  If I had to guess TH900 block less than 5% of outside noise and bleeds about 10% with average volume levels.  I consider this a unexpected good thing which I also know some may not.

All music sounds fantastic on the TH900 I'm really enjoying music more left-of-centre than what I normally listen too, like Jazz, Big Brass Bands, folk, and Dub-step.  Right now I'm listening to The Gypsy Queens, self title album.  Just beautiful

As you can probably tell by now I really like the Fostex TH900 and would recommend to anyone who enjoys good music.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #2,562 of 18,765
Quote:
TH900 Candy for your ears

I've had the TH900 for 3 days now, they are every bit as good as everyone has said, just beautiful in every way....  I'm kind of new to audiophile equipment so I'm no expert.... that said, here's my take on the Fostex TH900.

As many have pointed out they are indeed a work of art.  I went outside to take a closer look in natural light, the workmanship is incredible and the can's are sexy as all hell.

When I first started listening to them it was kind of weird, not what I expected, it was like my ears had to have time to adjust or something... weird.... However when they did it was pure magic, and continues even as I type this post. 

The sound detail is outstanding, so is the sound stage which was surprisingly wide. Bass is strong, tight, and rounds off nicely. Highs are great but could be better,  two possible reasons, the burn-in period for both essence one amp, and TH900, which should improve overtime.  Midrange is where it's at though, for me the TH900 has the best midrange I've ever heard, just glorious.

TH900 Sound stage was the big surprise being a closed headphone and all.  This was the thing that worried me the most, however I would not even call them a closed headphone, sure they look closed, but I've had open headphones with more isolation then these.  If I had to guess TH900 block less than 5% of outside noise and bleeds about 10% with average volume levels.  I consider this a unexpected good thing which I also know some may not.

All music sounds fantastic on the TH900 I'm really enjoying music more left-of-centre than what I normally listen too, like Jazz, Big Brass Bands, folk, and Dub-step.  Right now I'm listening to The Gypsy Queens, self title album.  Just beautiful

As you can probably tell by now I really like the Fostex TH900 and would recommend to anyone who enjoys good music.

Great post Gandah, your impressions mirror mine. I am actually happy with the treble and the fact that it isn't bright like the HD800, but it still manages to retrieve the same amount of detail.

Dec 9, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #2,563 of 18,765
Thanks Dukeske, appreciate it. I haven't yet tried the HD800 it will be very interesting to see how revealing they are with what I've read and heard so far.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #2,564 of 18,765
Capturing the pattern on the cups is hard. The following was a quick hand-held effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back