Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #2,521 of 18,776
double post

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #2,522 of 18,776
Not sure also if the Fostex TH900 is subject to a degree of the Japanese pricing/marketing model I.e. when a new technology/item is release it has a very large price tag then over time that same technology often improved/updated drops significantly in price. These headphones I think came on the market about 12 months ago. I know they are more of a "boutique" item however they are still subject to market forces. In Australia their RRP was.$2000 although most venders would be flexible on price.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2,526 of 18,776
Quote:
There's a $700 difference with SR-009s too, I got mine for $4500 through PriceJapan and they sell for $5200 on most US sites.

Prices for Japanese gear are usually cheaper at PriceJapan. That's the service it offers. However, the prices do fluctuate there depending on the currency exchange rate. Maybe Stax isn't a good example. PriceJapan is currently selling the SR-009 for $4127 USD but the TH900 is listed there for $1814 USD.

Audeze appear to keep a tight grip on the pricing of the LCD3. You'll rarely see it selling for less than the MSRP of $1945 USD.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2,527 of 18,776
Prices for Japanese gear are usually cheaper at PriceJapan. That's the service it offers. However, the prices do fluctuate there depending on the currency exchange rate. Maybe Stax isn't a good example. PriceJapan is currently selling the SR-009 for $4127 USD but the TH900 is listed there for $1814 USD.

Audeze appear to keep a tight grip on the pricing of the LCD3. You'll rarely see it selling for less than the MSRP of $1945 USD.

Yeah, that's about what I paid, plus you add shipping and Paypal fees.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #2,528 of 18,776
I don't really get what's so cheap about PJ.

$1814 US is far from the end price with them.
Of course there is shipping which you have to pay with other vendors as well, but PJ adds a separate shipping insurance, their fee and PP costs on top of that.
I just checked and a shipped TH900 costs $2088.

And then there's import, 30% over here. That would total to $2715 which is €2090 or about €440 more than the lowest price I have found in Europe so far.

Funny thing is when you try to sell them again. Some would then tell you "These cost €1400 at PJ, how much were you looking for?".  :wink:

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2,529 of 18,776
DACport enough for the Fostex TH-900? At the moment, I've only got my DACport (1 ohm mod), HRT Headstreamer, and Audinst HUD-MX1.

Would the DACport probably be the best out of what I currently have? I don't think I can afford anything else at the moment... :D

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2,530 of 18,776
Quote:
DACport enough for the Fostex TH-900? At the moment, I've only got my DACport (1 ohm mod), HRT Headstreamer, and Audinst HUD-MX1.

Would the DACport probably be the best out of what I currently have? I don't think I can afford anything else at the moment... :D

Yup, easily. They are as easy to drive as the Denon/Fostex line.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #2,531 of 18,776
Thanks. Overall, I'm not really sure what to think of the sound of the TH-900 which is probably why I'm coming to questioning my equipment (or "chain"?).

With the HRT Headstreamer, the bass is overpowering. With the Audinst, something sounds a bit wrong, something sounds a bit flat.

With the DACport, everything sounds pretty much balanced but not particularly engaging like my ATH-W1000X and not particularly v-shaped (sparkly and rumbly - which is what I was kind of hoping for, though I guess the TH-900 *are* labeled as "reference" phones) like my D2000.

Maybe I need to give it some more time. Somehow it's like the sound is too calm and too balanced. I wouldn't say that I have the best ears, though it just sounds puzzling.

Is there a certain way that I'm supposed to wear these?
Do you guys like to put the cups slightly forward towards your face or do you just have your ears placed directly in the middle of the cups or some other position?

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,532 of 18,776
Quote:
Thanks. Overall, I'm not really sure what to think of the sound of the TH-900 which is probably why I'm coming to questioning my equipment (or "chain"?).

With the HRT Headstreamer, the bass is overpowering. With the Audinst, something sounds a bit wrong, something sounds a bit flat.

With the DACport, everything sounds pretty much balanced but not particularly engaging like my ATH-W1000X and not particularly v-shaped (sparkly and rumbly - which is what I was kind of hoping for, though I guess the TH-900 *are* labeled as "reference" phones) like my D2000.

Maybe I need to give it some more time. Somehow it's like the sound is too calm and too balanced. I wouldn't say that I have the best ears, though it just sounds puzzling.

Is there a certain way that I'm supposed to wear these?
Do you guys like to put the cups slightly forward towards your face or do you just have your ears placed directly in the middle of the cups or some other position?

I haven't noticed a particular way to wear them, but how you wear them will influence the sound.  How significantly varies on a lot of different factors.  I usually put them on and adjust them until I find both the comfort I am looking for and the best sounding position I can find... but it's never been a big change, just personal preference.

The TH-900s do burn in.  To my ears, the bass did calm down significantly but it never went away.  The TH-900s bring a lot of high quality bass to the table and that will never go away.  I've tried them on multiple amps and the bass is always very present in comparison to other headphones, but it is a nice high quality bass and something I appreciate greatly about these headphones.  However, I have not listened to them with your particular equipment.

I would give them some more burn-in and see how it plays out.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2,533 of 18,776
One month later, I've finally got a tracking number! 
biggrin.gif

So everyone in Europe, they are in stock again atleast in Germany (I used hifi-im-hinterhof.de, they ship everywhere).

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #2,534 of 18,776
I have been listening to the TH900 now for just over a week

My initial impressions:

No huge wow factor when I first listened to them in the shop - noisy environment didn't help - they did sound very good however certainly more impressive IMO to the HD800.

Since I have had the time to listen to them in a quiet environment my appreciation of this headphone has sored.

The most valuable attribute the TH900 have IMO is music is SO enjoyable - something some people may forget in their quest to reach musical nirvana.

I agree with the general consensious regarding fantastic bass control,
This headphone IMO has so well integrated the low.mids,highs it's perceived flaws arnt glaring - like the nasty treble sibilance I experience with a stock HD800.

It leaves so little lacking - the more time one spends with this H/P the more articulate and layers of greatness are revealled.

The TH900 has the ability with many uncompressed recordings to realize just how sublime each piece of music sounds.

The TH900 with the ipodclassic/Algorythum solo and ALO RX mkII sound exquisite - very surprised how good this combo is.

I have tried the TH900 with my Leben CS300XS (NOS Raytheon & Bugle boy tubes) not as satisfying as above combo - however I have only tried for a very short time less than 2 hours- I intend to roll the tubes this weekend.

Also tried the TH900 with my Grace M903 again not quite as satisfying as ALO combo - intend to conduct further testing.

For the price I paid the craftsmanship and sonic signature make this a jewelled prince amongst the flagships.

Enjoy the weekend everyone :wink: Tim

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #2,535 of 18,776
Love it. Love reading those first notes. As phenomenal as a Stax setup is, I'm just not convinced it will yield the greatest musical enjoyment for me at this time in my life. TH900 + LF is truly world class fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back