Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jan 5, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #17,131 of 18,765
I have Lawton’s copper, it’s fine. My favorite high end cable maker is dhc, the prion 4 tho is more than the hp.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #17,132 of 18,765
For those of you using your TH-900's regularly with different cables, what's been your experience overall in terms of the cable that best enhances the TH-900's sound? On Moon Audio, I'm considering either the Silver or Black Dragon cables - but not sure how they compare with the stock cables overall. I basically want to keep the powerful bass, but I'm hoping to tone down that treble a bit more to reduce sibilance, and bring out that mid-range just a wee bit more. Or, is this whole cable thing just a load of snake oil and BS? lol

I think if I go with the cable route, I might get the new pearl headphones that just came out too (might as well go all the way) that have the same tuning as the Sapphires.
I had the same doubt when purchasing the White Pearls, which I expect to audition by the end of the week.

@jmills8 is an expert with these cans and his recommendations took me to the silver dragon path because I'm looking a more linear sound, less v-shaped, less treble and more mids. Time will tell.

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #17,133 of 18,765
I don't believe that cables change sound unless they're defective. I use a customcans.co.uk cable, but for handling qualities, not because I think I can change the sound of anything with cables.

The Sapphires are a great headphone with no sibilance using the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #17,135 of 18,765
I don't believe that cables change sound unless they're defective. I use a customcans.co.uk cable, but for handling qualities, not because I think I can change the sound of anything with cables.

The Sapphires are a great headphone with no sibilance using the stock cable.

Wow, so the tuning was that dramatic? How's the bass on the Sapphire tuning?

Jan 5, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #17,136 of 18,765
I had the same doubt when purchasing the White Pearls, which I expect to audition by the end of the week.

@jmills8 is an expert with these cans and his recommendations took me to the silver dragon path because I'm looking a more linear sound, less v-shaped, less treble and more mids. Time will tell.

Really curious to what you think about the White Pearls once you give them a spin. Are you planning to use the silver cables with the White Pearls? Or stock? Looking forward to your findings! :)

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #17,138 of 18,765
Wow, so the tuning was that dramatic? How's the bass on the Sapphire tuning?
I don't know. I never heard any other model of TH900. I have a pair of drop TR-X00 and they have so much V signature I can't use them for most of what I listen to. With EQ out of the RME they're very nice, but they need a lot of help. I was expecting the TH900 to be better but still have a big V. I was really amazed to listen to all kinds of music on the Sapphires and I don't need EQ for anything. The vocals are maybe very, very slightly recessed if I concentrate very hard but sometimes I think they're not at all. I am loving this set of cans and consider it an amazing headphone for everything. Probably not classical but I didn't try, maybe they are.

Music comes alive, everything sounds engaging with no brightness, no fatigue. The bass thump and slams, the whole sound of the headphone is impactful and totally enjoyable. The only things I don't like are the headband, hurts my head, and I hate fake leather earpads and think for the price they should have come up with leather that delivers the sound they want. Other than that, totally recommended. If the whites have the same tuning, definitely grab a pair if you like the Fostex sound. Great speed, good slam, clarity, engagement, wonderful set of cans!

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #17,139 of 18,765
Do you find the Lawton's to improve the bass and reign in some of that ear-piercing treble vs. the stock?
Yes , but you can try another ear pad like fostex 610. I also eq a bit when needed.

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #17,141 of 18,765
Yes , but you can try another ear pad like fostex 610. I also eq a bit when needed.

Gotcha, so basically two things from Lawton: 1) The tune up? (worth it?) and 2) Which cable did you end up going with? Black Scorpion or Black Hornet?

Don't really want the wood cups because I love the red ones too much, lol. From what I remember you said, the stock pads were just fine, right?

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #17,142 of 18,765
lawton cups, dampening, ear-ads, and cable was worth it for me.. I hate to use the word worth but i could have left th900 as it was but why not. The only reason i didn't go DHC was it needed to be soldered and send the HP in to be cabled. My thoughts you have to want to find out, to much bass for your genres? want wider stage? But its been years so who knows why or what i did, happy tho.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #17,143 of 18,765
Jan 5, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #17,144 of 18,765
lawton cups, dampening, ear-ads, and cable was worth it for me.. I hate to use the word worth but i could have left th900 as it was but why not. The only reason i didn't go DHC was it needed to be soldered and send the HP in to be cabled. My thoughts you have to want to find out, to much bass for your genres? want wider stage? But its been years so who knows why or what i did, happy tho.
DHC are great.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #17,145 of 18,765

Which cable did you end up going with? Black Scorpion or Black Hornet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back