Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #15,421 of 18,764
Or you just wanted to buy something new. You had the TH900 for how long? After that amount of time with it then you realused it had too much bass? You could have just gotten a Hugo.

I've had TH900s for about 3 years now. I currently use them with Chord Mojo.
Before I got Mojo about a year ago, I used them with Schiit Bifrost Uber and the Bakoon. Before Bakoon, I had a Schiit Asgard 2 I listened to the TH900s with.
I used the Uberfrost/Bakoon combo maybe 1,5 years before switching to Mojo, because I wanted a simpler and smaller system.

I'll probably go for the Hugo 2 in the future, but before that I'll get another pair high-end headphones. Both are not high priority on my list of future purchases, as I have other things I need/want more.

Sep 2, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #15,422 of 18,764
Sep 2, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #15,423 of 18,764
Sep 3, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #15,424 of 18,764
lol....I haven't been around for a while. Def a blast from the past :beyersmile: I will post again in 1.5 years again.....till then :beerchug:

Sep 3, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #15,425 of 18,764
Sup

Sep 3, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #15,426 of 18,764
Tried out the Lawton mod Level 1.

Initial impressions were good, but then I realized holding the cups to your ears to try out different materials made it sound smoother than it really was. When I screwed the cups on, I noticed this horrible 5-6khz spike that was unbearable. Kept using different combinations (with screwed cups) and even tried all the parts at once, but it didn't seem to help... Took it all off. (D is removable btw)

It definitely made the bass a little tighter and punchier (more mid-bass), but it sounds like it smooths over the upper-treble in exchange for a noticeable spike in the upper-mids / lower-treble...

The Lawton pads with the full mod on, actually sounded pretty good. They were definitely made for the Tune-Up kit. However, they feel cheaper than stock... Much noiser from glasses moving too and the mounting ring is a huge pain to put in.

Overall, the entire mod felt like a bit of a disappointment. Feels like I just wasted $140...

Edit: Going to try reapplying the entire mod again. Feel like I was too harsh. Going to give it a more thorough listen after.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #15,427 of 18,764

Initial impressions were good, but then I realized holding the cups to your ears to try out different materials made it sound smoother than it really was. When I screwed the cups on, I noticed this horrible 5-6khz spike that was unbearable. Kept using different combinations (with screwed cups) and even tried all the parts at once, but it didn't seem to help... Took it all off. (D is removable btw)

It definitely made the bass a little tighter and punchier (more mid-bass), but it sounds like it smooths over the upper-treble in exchange for a noticeable spike in the upper-mids / lower-treble...

The Lawton pads with the full mod on, actually sounded pretty good. They were definitely made for the Tune-Up kit. However, they feel cheaper than stock... Much noiser from glasses moving too and the mounting ring is a huge pain to put in.

Overall, the entire mod felt like a bit of a disappointment. Feels like I just wasted $140...

Edit: Going to try reapplying the entire mod again. Feel like I was too harsh. Going to give it a more thorough listen after.
Yeah, try it for three weeks.

Sep 4, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #15,428 of 18,764
Yeah, try it for three weeks.

I don't really need 3 weeks to get an impression.

To my ears, the full Level 1 mod seems to narrow the V-shape signature. You get more mid-bass impact and lower-treble sparkle. The Lawton pads will take that narrow signature and make it slightly more even / flatter.

I like the modded bass best with the stock pads. This also seems best for lower volume listening as well, which is actually a plus for me. Sounds better for metal as well since guitars and cymbals have slightly more presence and the kick has more oomph without having to switch pads.

The Lawton pads seem best for when I want to EQ up the modded bass, so I get less harsh treble. Else, I would really need to EQ down the treble more than I would before the mod. I think I am just more sensitive to this treble frequency range...

Sep 5, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #15,429 of 18,764
I don't really need 3 weeks to get an impression.

To my ears, the full Level 1 mod seems to narrow the V-shape signature. You get more mid-bass impact and lower-treble sparkle. The Lawton pads will take that narrow signature and make it slightly more even / flatter.

I like the modded bass best with the stock pads. This also seems best for lower volume listening as well, which is actually a plus for me. Sounds better for metal as well since guitars and cymbals have slightly more presence and the kick has more oomph without having to switch pads.

The Lawton pads seem best for when I want to EQ up the modded bass, so I get less harsh treble. Else, I would really need to EQ down the treble more than I would before the mod. I think I am just more sensitive to this treble frequency range...
I just said try. There are no needs but wants in this hobby.

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #15,430 of 18,764

5-6khz spike was there before the mod and still after ?
if yes ,, i think you have to change your amp/dac ,, to more worm one ,
for me the mode killed the treble ,, so i think your amp is very bright ?

don't hold the cups with your hands ,, use duct tape , this way you can try longer without stressing your hands
also give it some time , i think 1 week is enough ,, and try to be relaxed and worm up your amp for half hour before any critical listening ..

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #15,431 of 18,764
5-6khz spike was there before the mod and still after ?
if yes ,, i think you have to change your amp/dac ,, to more worm one ,
for me the mode killed the treble ,, so i think your amp is very bright ?

don't hold the cups with your hands ,, use duct tape , this way you can try longer without stressing your hands
also give it some time , i think 1 week is enough ,, and try to be relaxed and worm up your amp for half hour before any critical listening ..

After some thought, I think it's because I listened to the TH-900 at a louder volume before the mod. The spike was really noticeable at this louder volume with just a partial mod... The full mod is growing on me now though, because I can listen to it at lower volumes and it still sounds satisfying (which is better for my ears as well). I think the AMP3 from the DX200 may have a little spike in that range too, which might be why I never noticed it that much before, and it stacked on each other.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #15,432 of 18,764
After some thought, I think it's because I listened to the TH-900 at a louder volume before the mod. The spike was really noticeable at this louder volume with just a partial mod... The full mod is growing on me now though, because I can listen to it at lower volumes and it still sounds satisfying (which is better for my ears as well). I think the AMP3 from the DX200 may have a little spike in that range too, which might be why I never noticed it that much before, and it stacked on each other.
Ooo boy the DX200 is so bad for the TH900. lacks the power even with its upgrade amp. Horrible matching.

Sep 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #15,433 of 18,764
Ooo boy the DX200 is so bad for the TH900. lacks the power even with its upgrade amp. Horrible matching.

The TH-900 is not hard to drive. AMP3 has more than enough power and sounded better than the Liquid Carbon, which is why I sold it (which also gave it way too much headroom, especially through balanced)...

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #15,434 of 18,764
The TH-900 is not hard to drive. AMP3 has more than enough power and sounded better than the Liquid Carbon, which is why I sold it (which also gave it way too much headroom, especially through balanced)...
Glad you believe that. Im not a numbers guy but no dap and no dap with upgrade amps internal upgrades works for me especially the DX200 the way they used its dual dacs just sounds bright, flat and dead.

Sep 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #15,435 of 18,764
Glad you believe that. Im not a numbers guy but no dap and no dap with upgrade amps internal upgrades works for me especially the DX200 the way they used its dual dacs just sounds bright, flat and dead.

Have you heard the latest AMP3? I could understand what you said if it was AMP1 (since AMP2 is the opposite). It is pretty impressive, even if you prefer warm DAPs, but I won't delve into it too much. Don't want to get too off topic in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back