Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #15,406 of 18,761
I have the MKII and the back of the drivers are a little different than the photos on the Lawton site. If I remember correctly, I installed the D part thinking I could reverse it because there is a plastic ring on the back driver that keeps the D part cleanly off the paper diaphragm. I definitely would not have installed it if it touched the paper since I wanted to reverse if the sound was not to my liking. I also think the current D part is not as wide as the one in the photo. However, you definitely want to check your specific mod and if any of the adhesive touches paper, then it is NOT reversible. I also covered any more exposed plastic with left over mod material.

As for sound, I personally don't think the mod lowers the amount of treble, but cleans up the harshness. I still need to lower the upper end with EQ, but not as much as without the mod. I think I needed closer to -5-6 dB without the mod versus the current -3 with mod. This is all personal preference though.

Did you apply the A backing material on the cup (that goes under B)? Is that reversible?

When I get it, I'll see if I can cut D to fit the plastic only (if needed).

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #15,407 of 18,761
Did you apply the A backing material on the cup (that goes under B)? Is that reversible?

When I get it, I'll see if I can cut D to fit the plastic only (if needed).

Nope, no B for me. I'm fairly certain those are not reversible. I decided to wait until I get some Lawton cups since those come with B pre-installed.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #15,409 of 18,761
TH900 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Cable.
20170831_115053.jpg
20170831_115102.jpg

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #15,410 of 18,761
TH900 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon Cable.

20170831_115347.jpg
20170831_115354.jpg

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #15,411 of 18,761
Couldnt contact anybody who can mod my TH900 to make it have detachable cables so I bought five TH900s and had upgrade cables installed on four of them. Here a full Lawton mod with their super heavy thick cable.

20170831_115558.jpg
20170831_115604.jpg

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #15,412 of 18,761
I do not have much experience about EQ settings. As far as I see, it depends on both how you hear and the frequency response graph of the headphone.
What would be the ideal settings for more neutral mids and treble for an unmodified, out of the box, TH900 MK2 ?

Aug 31, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #15,413 of 18,761
I do not have much experience about EQ settings. As far as I see, it depends on both how you hear and the frequency response graph of the headphone.
What would be the ideal settings for more neutral mids and treble for an unmodified, out of the box, TH900 MK2 ?

I would suggest you increase the mids a little and decrease the treble a little. Do this until you get the sound you like.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #15,414 of 18,761

I like to use a tone generator like https://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html to determine the relative perceived loudness of each frequency. I then use this to EQ my headphones flat. Usually I like to boost the bass slightly from this point.

If anyone knows a better tone generator for this purpose, let me know!

(P.S. Based on how everyone was raving about the bass on TH900, some even saying it was too much bass, I was expecting a lot more bass. The bass is very fast and has good extension, but I wouldn't say that it's necessarily a lot. I find myself boosting the bass on my TH900 because it's not forward enough. Thoughts?)

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #15,415 of 18,761
Bass is definitely increased. But I agree, it's not overwhelming. IIRC, the TH-X00 has more rumble but it is more bloated and this eventually became fatiguing so I sold it. I think the TH-900 has the perfect amount for most genres and it's great for movies and TV. The TH-900 is especially responsive to EQ in the bass compared to most headphones so you have the option of making it more bassy without sacrificing much quality. For me, this is fun once in awhile but gets fatiguing.

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #15,417 of 18,761
I have the MKII and the back of the drivers are a little different than the photos on the Lawton site. If I remember correctly, I installed the D part thinking I could reverse it because there is a plastic ring on the back driver that keeps the D part cleanly off the paper diaphragm. I definitely would not have installed it if it touched the paper since I wanted to reverse if the sound was not to my liking. I also think the current D part is not as wide as the one in the photo. However, you definitely want to check your specific mod and if any of the adhesive touches paper, then it is NOT reversible. I also covered any more exposed plastic with left over mod material.

As for sound, I personally don't think the mod lowers the amount of treble, but cleans up the harshness. I still need to lower the upper end with EQ, but not as much as without the mod. I think I needed closer to -5-6 dB without the mod versus the current -3 with mod. This is all personal preference though.
Interesting , for me i think if i remember it correctly .. it is the same as the one in the picture ,, what is the SN# of your TH900mk2 ? mine is (10186)

Aug 31, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #15,418 of 18,761
Interesting , for me i think if i remember it correctly .. it is the same as the one in the picture ,, what is the SN# of your TH900mk2 ? mine is (10186)

I will take a look inside shortly since I will be selling my TH900 soon after upgrading to Utopia. Will post a pic. Probably best to sell with all mods removed as it only suits my tastes.

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #15,419 of 18,761
P.S. Based on how everyone was raving about the bass on TH900, some even saying it was too much bass, I was expecting a lot more bass. The bass is very fast and has good extension, but I wouldn't say that it's necessarily a lot. I find myself boosting the bass on my TH900 because it's not forward enough. Thoughts?

Depends on your source. I used to own the Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 amp, which turned the TH900s into a beast. After listening to Chord Mojo for about half-a-year, I switched back to Bakoon for one last listen before selling it, and I found the bass to be too much even for me - and I love me some bass.

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #15,420 of 18,761
Depends on your source. I used to own the Bakoon HDA-5210mk3 amp, which turned the TH900s into a beast. After listening to Chord Mojo for about half-a-year, I switched back to Bakoon for one last listen before selling it, and I found the bass to be too much even for me - and I love me some bass.
Or you just wanted to buy something new. You had the TH900 for how long? After that amount of time with it then you realused it had too much bass? You could have just gotten a Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back