Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 26, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #15,391 of 18,759
I recently bought a pair of the Grado SR225e, and enjoy them very much. The only change I've made to them is putting a cheap knockoff pair of G shock pads on them for comfort. The normal pads weren't bothering my ears so much, as they were pushing them kind of hard back onto my glasses ear pieces. I really like the sound of them. To me they have a very full, articulate sound. I plug them into my iFi Micro Black Label, turn the Bass boost switch on, and drool slightly. The Black Label works nicely with the TH900s too.
When I had 225s and the RS2e, I learned to place the pads on my ears more forward than one normally would. It was a little odd at first, but it centered the pads on ear way better, which meant less rubbing and better sound. I think I saw a you tube on it or read about doing that in a grado thread here.

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #15,392 of 18,759
When I had 225s and the RS2e, I learned to place the pads on my ears more forward than one normally would. It was a little odd at first, but it centered the pads on ear way better, which meant less rubbing and better sound. I think I saw a you tube on it or read about doing that in a grado thread here.
Yeah, I did a lot of shifting the pads around on my ears. Now with the larger pads they don't push in the same place. BTW, have never had a comfort issue with the Fostex :darthsmile:

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #15,393 of 18,759
Pretty minor adjustments (dB):

Pre input - 2

170 Hz +1,5
6 KHz - 3
12 KHz - 2

Did some comparement with this chart
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.p...=10&graphType=-1&buttonSelection=Update+Graph
And this one
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

170 Hz - i do not understand
7 kHz ok
12 Khz - i miss nothing

I additional took at 580 Hz with Q 1,6 a level of +3 dB

This calculator is a great help therefore
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-cutoffFrequencies.htm

Aug 27, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #15,394 of 18,759
Yeah, I did a lot of shifting the pads around on my ears. Now with the larger pads they don't push in the same place. BTW, have never had a comfort issue with the Fostex :darthsmile:

my Alessando MS1i's came with the S Grado pad.. switched it out for the L pad (not the massive G) and a big difference there. Grado's also weigh next to nothing, so after an hour or so, i cant even tell i am wearing them.

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #15,395 of 18,759
Did some comparement with this chart
http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=3841&graphID[1]=&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=10&graphType=-1&buttonSelection=Update+Graph
And this one
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexTH900.pdf

170 Hz - i do not understand
7 kHz ok
12 Khz - i miss nothing

I additional took at 580 Hz with Q 1,6 a level of +3 dB

This calculator is a great help therefore
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-cutoffFrequencies.htm

I forgot to mention I have Lawton mods and pads which I find to tighten up the low end. Just a tad too clean for my tastes hence just a touch of oomph at 170. The EQ built into JRiver has non-standard frequencies for some reason too.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #15,396 of 18,759
I'm interested in trying out the level 1 Lawton mod mainly for the tighter bass (since the treble sounds fine from the DX200 AMP3 module). I don't know if should just buy the damping material or also the pads. What do the pads add to the sound? How do they affect the bass?

EDIT: I just realized Lawton Audio is having a 10th anniversary sale. Guess my timing is perfect!

http://www.lawtonaudio.com/news.html

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #15,397 of 18,759
I'm interested in trying out the level 1 Lawton mod mainly for the tighter bass (since the treble sounds fine from the DX200 AMP3 module). I don't know if should just buy the damping material or also the pads. What do the pads add to the sound? How do they affect the bass?

EDIT: I just realized Lawton Audio is having a 10th anniversary sale. Guess my timing is perfect!

The upgrade wood ear cups also tightens the bass.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #15,398 of 18,759

First I would say Mark Lawton is an awesome person to discuss your particular needs. I ended up getting the Lawton pads and level 1, minus the swapping of the stock cup backing. I wanted to keep things 100% reversible and I don't think the the Lawton damping material is easily reversible.. Bass is definitely tighter and the highs are more crisp and accurate, but still a little hot for me, hence my EQ settings. The pads were probably the biggest change to my ears - reducing some of the energy of the lows and highs.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #15,399 of 18,759
First I would say Mark Lawton is an awesome person to discuss your particular needs. I ended up getting the Lawton pads and level 1, minus the swapping of the stock cup backing. I wanted to keep things 100% reversible and I don't think the the Lawton damping material is easily reversible.. Bass is definitely tighter and the highs are more crisp and accurate, but still a little hot for me, hence my EQ settings. The pads were probably the biggest change to my ears - reducing some of the energy of the lows and highs.

Thanks. Sent him an email.

So the pads basically make it less V-shaped? What about the soundstage?

Aug 28, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #15,400 of 18,759
Yep, less v shape and ewual sound stage. I like stock and Lawton pads.

20170812_192356-1.jpg

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #15,401 of 18,759
Thanks. Sent him an email.

So the pads basically make it less V-shaped? What about the soundstage?

Yes, more U shaped instead of V. A little wider soundstage imho.

Aug 28, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #15,402 of 18,759

Lawton pads give lesser sound stage with more forward sound with some increase in bass and more smooth treble ,,
its a nice addition and good to try ,, i recommend it (and the Dekoni TH900 pads if you want same but less effect)

regarding the damping material i did some of it (trying and testing) until i came up with the best to my taste -
i did some of the (E) half the (F) and all the (A) , didnt use the (B,C,D) parts (btw the D is irreversible)
if you do it all ,, it will kill the treble and suck the life out of your 900 , unless you are bothered too much with the treble.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #15,403 of 18,759
Lawton pads give lesser sound stage with more forward sound with some increase in bass and more smooth treble ,,
its a nice addition and good to try ,, i recommend it (and the Dekoni TH900 pads if you want same but less effect)

regarding the damping material i did some of it (trying and testing) until i came up with the best to my taste -
i did some of the (E) half the (F) and all the (A) , didnt use the (B,C,D) parts (btw the D is irreversible)
if you do it all ,, it will kill the treble and suck the life out of your 900 , unless you are bothered too much with the treble.

That's concerning. I didn't want to lose that much treble. I placed an order for the tune-up kit and pads. I'll probably avoid the dampening on the cups themselves, especially since it says B has a strong adhesive.

Why is D irreversible? It'll rip the white diaphragm?

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #15,404 of 18,759
That's concerning. I didn't want to lose that much treble. I placed an order for the tune-up kit and pads. I'll probably avoid the dampening on the cups themselves, especially since it says B has a strong adhesive.

Why is D irreversible? It'll rip the white diaphragm?
Not concerning at all except the D part ,, if you put it , it is very hard to remove because It will rip the white diaphragm
(or u could cut horizontally in half and try to apply it to the outer part , far from the white paper )

other parts are easy to remove , the adhesive is very good quality which stick and re-stick easily .

the B part could be tested with out adhesive, if you like it , stick it :) for me i used it with my TH-X00 (though i didn't use the adhesive)

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #15,405 of 18,759
I have the MKII and the back of the drivers are a little different than the photos on the Lawton site. If I remember correctly, I installed the D part thinking I could reverse it because there is a plastic ring on the back driver that keeps the D part cleanly off the paper diaphragm. I definitely would not have installed it if it touched the paper since I wanted to reverse if the sound was not to my liking. I also think the current D part is not as wide as the one in the photo. However, you definitely want to check your specific mod and if any of the adhesive touches paper, then it is NOT reversible. I also covered any more exposed plastic with left over mod material.

As for sound, I personally don't think the mod lowers the amount of treble, but cleans up the harshness. I still need to lower the upper end with EQ, but not as much as without the mod. I think I needed closer to -5-6 dB without the mod versus the current -3 with mod. This is all personal preference though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back