Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Aug 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #976 of 3,438
The demo pair are on the UPS truck to be delivered today. 

Will be auditioning them against MD7000, Edition 8 and a couple other phones over the weekend.  System is set up, playlist picked. 

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #977 of 3,438
Hi all

I have a ALO pan am and keen on acquiring the 600. I only have the chance to hear the 600 with the fostex amp. I wish to know if there are any owners having pan am / 600 combo. Much appreciate you sharing your comments.

Thx

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #978 of 3,438
Quote:
Anybody know of a relatively inexpensive amp that would pair well with the TH600? I just received my pair yesterday and on my Lovely Cube they're sounding kind of congested or muffled. I unfortunately don't have the funds for something like a WA7 or WA6SE after splurging for the TH600.

At least it has taught me to not buy expensive headphones again if I can't test them first.

Gilmore Lite. Concero/Gilmore Lite combo is sensational with TH600.

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #979 of 3,438
Hi all

I have a ALO pan am and keen on acquiring the 600. I only have the chance to hear the 600 with the fostex amp. I wish to know if there are any owners having pan am / 600 combo. Much appreciate you sharing your comments.

Thx

I did.

Epic.

Thanks,

:evil:

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #983 of 3,438
Ehhhhh, I'm kind of iffy on it, and the amp's output impedance isn't exactly an ideal match for the TH600 so I'm not sure I'm hearing the headphones as they're supposed to sound. I'm basically looking at a Magni or O2 now as a cheap alternative to test since they're supposed to be pretty much "transparent" in the audio chain, in order to: 1) see if the sound is actually coming through uncoloured on the Lovely Cube, and 2) replace the Cube if it does actually seem to be messing with the sound.

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #985 of 3,438
So I got the HeadAmp audition TH600's last night and spent about three hours listening to a variety of genres, sources and found them to be an amazing headphone.  Comfort is extremely good, both regarding earpads, headband and weight/balance on my head. 

I fed them from my Pioneer rack system from 1978, which has a Spec 1 preamp and Spec 2 amp through the SG-9500 equalizer, sources started with my turntable, then it went to the Sony CD player and finally iPod touch directly into the Aux input via RCA's. 

These headphones are a basshead dream - they will literally take anything you throw at it, and that is plenty of power.  I would bump the loudness switch at times just to see how they reacted and they simply hit harder and deeper.  Astonishing to be honest.  And not a one trick pony either - clean, clear highs and mids that are great for vocals and female voices. 

Playlist included Eagles One of These Nights (drums and cymbal response), Steely Dan Aja (percussion on this song is about as good as it gets with drum solos that simply are the gold standard to me), Dave Koz Whisper in Your Ear (to test separation and low level clarity), Boz Scaggs Lowdown (again with the cymbals "S" response), Zachary Breaux Small Town in Texas (percussion again), Celine Dion Halfway to Heaven (for both her amazing vocals and Kenny G's sax response).  That's the highlights but I literally went back and forth for three hours last night listening to different songs on these and my Denon D7000's literally one after the other back and forth.

I'm sold.  These are amazing headphones - funny though, the box calls them reference headphones.  Flat response headphones they are not - unless you are looking for basshead reference.  That is not a criticism, it's a funny little paradox - I LOVE bassy headphones and these do it all extremely well.

Oh, and the final comment - my Denon MD7000 (full Mark Lawton mods and angle pads) are AS GOOD AS THESE.  In every way.  I could not tell them apart for the most part.  Stock would have been no contest - the D7000 would have gotten curb stomped.

So I won't be getting TH600's but if I wanted another comparable pair to add to my D7000/D2000/D600 stable, these would be it. 

I do love these - the looks are understated in all black with the silver hardware attachments setting off the flat black, and the earpads may be the largest diameter inside in history.  Very, very comfortable. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #986 of 3,438
Quote:
The demo pair are on the UPS truck to be delivered today. 

Will be auditioning them against MD7000, Edition 8 and a couple other phones over the weekend.  System is set up, playlist picked. 

Ooh nice where did u get a demo pair :O

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #987 of 3,438
Quote:
So I got the HeadAmp audition TH600's last night and spent about three hours listening to a variety of genres, sources and found them to be an amazing headphone.  Comfort is extremely good, both regarding earpads, headband and weight/balance on my head. 

I fed them from my Pioneer rack system from 1978, which has a Spec 1 preamp and Spec 2 amp through the SG-9500 equalizer, sources started with my turntable, then it went to the Sony CD player and finally iPod touch directly into the Aux input via RCA's. 

These headphones are a basshead dream - they will literally take anything you throw at it, and that is plenty of power.  I would bump the loudness switch at times just to see how they reacted and they simply hit harder and deeper.  Astonishing to be honest.  And not a one trick pony either - clean, clear highs and mids that are great for vocals and female voices. 

Playlist included Eagles One of These Nights (drums and cymbal response), Steely Dan Aja (percussion on this song is about as good as it gets with drum solos that simply are the gold standard to me), Dave Koz Whisper in Your Ear (to test separation and low level clarity), Boz Scaggs Lowdown (again with the cymbals "S" response), Zachary Breaux Small Town in Texas (percussion again), Celine Dion Halfway to Heaven (for both her amazing vocals and Kenny G's sax response).  That's the highlights but I literally went back and forth for three hours last night listening to different songs on these and my Denon D7000's literally one after the other back and forth.

I'm sold.  These are amazing headphones - funny though, the box calls them reference headphones.  Flat response headphones they are not - unless you are looking for basshead reference.  That is not a criticism, it's a funny little paradox - I LOVE bassy headphones and these do it all extremely well.

Oh, and the final comment - my Denon MD7000 (full Mark Lawton mods and angle pads) are AS GOOD AS THESE.  In every way.  I could not tell them apart for the most part.  Stock would have been no contest - the D7000 would have gotten curb stomped.

So I won't be getting TH600's but if I wanted another comparable pair to add to my D7000/D2000/D600 stable, these would be it. 

I do love these - the looks are understated in all black with the silver hardware attachments setting off the flat black, and the earpads may be the largest diameter inside in history.  Very, very comfortable. 

Nice!!
Thanks for the impressions Frank!
(now I DON'T have to buy them!! lol :wink:)

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #988 of 3,438
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #989 of 3,438
Quote:
Ooh nice where did u get a demo pair :O

HeadAmp does headphone auditions (find their vendor page here and you'll find what I'm talking about).  We sign up and he sends out a pair of headphones and it makes its way around the country, with each person getting a few days with the phones.

I have the TH600 now, HD700 coming soon, he's done others including STAX!  Justin is doing a great service (or looking at it another way, he's costing us $$).

Either way it's a great way to test them out in your environment, your music, your equipment. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #990 of 3,438
Quote:
Glad to help my buddy! 

Price for a D MD7000k compared to the TH 600, and honestly that sounds sexy...  those wooden cups and angled pads... that must be wonderful 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back