Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jun 6, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #2,706 of 3,438
As someone who is looking for a closed HP, I feel it is Fostex loss not the consumer. There are a lot of people that would spend the $599 but not $1300 for the TH900. 
The headphone market is very competive right now, so I am sure someone will come along with a mid-priced closed HP that will fill the void.
The old not going to be in production any more, get'em while you can, is just that, getting a little old.

Jun 6, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,707 of 3,438
  As someone who is looking for a closed HP, I feel it is Fostex loss not the consumer. There are a lot of people that would spend the $599 but not $1300 for the TH900. 
The headphone market is very competive right now, so I am sure someone will come along with a mid-priced closed HP that will fill the void.
The old not going to be in production any more, get'em while you can, is just that, getting a little old.

Sad to see it discontinuted. I am looking for a good closed back in this range and I don't have many options. Was considering Sony Z7, Shure 1540, mad dogs or TH600. Mad dogs are discontinued and looks like Th600 is as well. That sucks :/

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #2,708 of 3,438

Sad to see it discontinuted. I am looking for a good closed back in this range and I don't have many options. Was considering Sony Z7, Shure 1540, mad dogs or TH600. Mad dogs are discontinued and looks like Th600 is as well. That sucks :/

TH-600 is not completely closed, it will leak sound in and out while the others you mention are much better at blocking outside noise.  Heard the mad dogs and 1540, the TH-600 is the best IMO.  Also heard the TH-900, its better than the TH-600 but not by much, highs are a little more extended, mids are slightly more forward, and bass is a little more dynamic, but these are not quickly or easily noticed depending on your setup.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,710 of 3,438
Headphones that I own:

K7XX, better sound stage, bass not as present as TH-600, mids and highs a little more forward than TH-600

DT-990 premium 250 Ohm, more balanced sound, can be amp picky (using BH Crack), less bass kick (dual removable cable mod)

HD-700, great sound stage, a different kind of bass that goes low, highs can be sibilant to some, amp dependent (using Ember), not forgiving of subpar recordings.

HE-400i, bass is extended and tight, mids and highs are just about right IMO, needs a good amp (using Lyr2) grill mod done

SHR-1840, most balanced sound signature of these, best on Ember

EL8 open, sound can change (most say it does) with burn-in, can be bass lite, mids a little to forward, highs are extended but can get sibilant, very easy to drive (Galaxy S5, Fiio X3) give good results.

HD-650, very balanced sound, very amp dependent (using BH Crack)

SennGrado, I have built 3 and they all sound different but the best has the bass that goes low with impact, the mids are smooth like most grado's and the highs are extended and clear.  they cost about $120-170 to build, depends mostly on the wood cup.

Hope this short ramble helps.

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #2,712 of 3,438
Jun 6, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2,713 of 3,438
  TH-600 is not completely closed, it will leak sound in and out while the others you mention are much better at blocking outside noise.  Heard the mad dogs and 1540, the TH-600 is the best IMO.  Also heard the TH-900, its better than the TH-600 but not by much, highs are a little more extended, mids are slightly more forward, and bass is a little more dynamic, but these are not quickly or easily noticed depending on your setup.

I was planning to use them at home mostly so as long as it isolates some, it should be good to go! Thanks for the details :) TH600 looks to be a good buy, considering you are getting much of the TH900 performance for significantly less money.

Headphones that I own:

K7XX, better sound stage, bass not as present as TH-600, mids and highs a little more forward than TH-600

DT-990 premium 250 Ohm, more balanced sound, can be amp picky (using BH Crack), less bass kick (dual removable cable mod)

HD-700, great sound stage, a different kind of bass that goes low, highs can be sibilant to some, amp dependent (using Ember), not forgiving of subpar recordings.

HE-400i, bass is extended and tight, mids and highs are just about right IMO, needs a good amp (using Lyr2) grill mod done

SHR-1840, most balanced sound signature of these, best on Ember

EL8 open, sound can change (most say it does) with burn-in, can be bass lite, mids a little to forward, highs are extended but can get sibilant, very easy to drive (Galaxy S5, Fiio X3) give good results.

HD-650, very balanced sound, very amp dependent (using BH Crack)

SennGrado, I have built 3 and they all sound different but the best has the bass that goes low with impact, the mids are smooth like most grado's and the highs are extended and clear.  they cost about $120-170 to build, depends mostly on the wood cup.

Hope this short ramble helps.

Oh wow thank you. Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was thanks so much :) Problem is I wont be able to use open backs too often as I listen at night when everyone else is sleeping. There don't seem to be too many really high quality warm or somewhat bassy headphones at this price. I have my share of neutral and balanced sounding gear so I want to get something that is really refined while being warm and musical and fun. This was near the top of my list so I will be looking at other alternatives :)  However if I see a used pair in F/S section I might consider that too!

Am just looking for something that goes well with top 40 music and EDM and the like but still very refined.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #2,714 of 3,438

Am just looking for something that goes well with top 40 music and EDM and the like but still very refined.

Try a Momentum 2 over-ear or Sony MDR1A, these are the two that I currently use.  I also have M50x and MDR-7506 which are very good for the price and are not far behind the Momentum and MDR1A IMO.  These four have almost the same quantity of bass as the TH-600 but not the quality, but at 1/5 to 1/2 the cost its hard to complain.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #2,715 of 3,438
  Try a Momentum 2 over-ear or Sony MDR1A, these are the two that I currently use.  I also have M50x and MDR-7506 which are very good for the price and are not far behind the Momentum and MDR1A IMO.  These four have almost the same quantity of bass as the TH-600 but not the quality, but at 1/5 to 1/2 the cost its hard to complain.

I don't want to take it OT PMed you :)  Thanks again 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back