Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jun 23, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #2,731 of 3,438
I wouldn't say the TH600s have bad build quality.  But there is a Achilles heel to speak of.  The headband has a weak point at the cup pivot that you should pay attention to.  The 2 screws are prone to loosening, and once apart are very difficult to get together.  That's an "if", and not necessarily an issue for everyone, and not for me.  This "design flaw" goes back to the Denons that Fostex made as well....
Oh i see, but i carriyng my headphones like babies:). Never put my phones on hard surface, maybe everything will be okay when i buy th600. Thanks for the answer mate:)

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #2,732 of 3,438
Thanks friend, i can loose a bit of soundstage, but dont want to lose bass. I compare dt990 vs my hd 8 dj and 8 dj totaly destroys dt990 when it come to bass on movies! Much beter sub bass and much more impactull! Open headpones in general dont have that rumbling bass that is needed for me in movies. Show me headpones that has bass as hd 8 dj, clarity and oppenes similiar to dt990. Cant find any besides Fostex line:frowning2:.

Have you tired the X1?  Has some good bass for an open headphone and the sound stage is not bad either, also fairly easy to drive.
The DT-990 has good bass IMO but it needs to have a good amp, an OTL like BH Crack seems to work best that I've found.
HE-400 has great bass, better than the TH-600 IMO for an open headphone but the sound signature is not that great, you also need to consider a good amp to get the bass.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2,733 of 3,438
Oh i see, but i carriyng my headphones like babies:). Never put my phones on hard surface, maybe everything will be okay when i buy th600. Thanks for the answer mate:)

As someone who has owned 5 different Denon's and both Fostex of the same chassis model/design over the past three years, though I am aware of the issues with the screws, I have not had this problem.  I hope it's a matter of being gentle and careful with the headphones and not just luck.  :) 

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #2,734 of 3,438
Have you tired the X1?  Has some good bass for an open headphone and the sound stage is not bad either, also fairly easy to drive.
The DT-990 has good bass IMO but it needs to have a good amp, an OTL like BH Crack seems to work best that I've found.
HE-400 has great bass, better than the TH-600 IMO for an open headphone but the sound signature is not that great, you also need to consider a good amp to get the bass.
I know that bass of he 400 is better, but quantity and impact is much better on th600 from that i gather. By the way i have fiio e10k + fiio e12 it is not enough for dt990 premium 250ohm version?

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #2,735 of 3,438

As someone who has owned 5 different Denon's and both Fostex of the same chassis model/design over the past three years, though I am aware of the issues with the screws, I have not had this problem.  I hope it's a matter of being gentle and careful with the headphones and not just luck.  :) 

It has not happened with my TH600 but it did happen with my D2000. One screw fell out but I used Loc-Tite when I replaced it, and it never happened again.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #2,736 of 3,438
I know that bass of he 400 is better, but quantity and impact is much better on th600 from that i gather. By the way i have fiio e10k + fiio e12 it is not enough for dt990 premium 250ohm version?

The reason some might say the TH-600 has more bass quantity and impact is that they are easy to drive so its easy to get great sound out of them.  The HE-400 is much harder to drive correctly so some may not hear what they can do.  I've found that the HE-400 sounds best on either my Lyr2 or Project Ember and changing the stock ear pads to either the velour or focus.
I've never heard a fiio e10k + e12 so I can't comment on them as being powerful enough for the DT-900/250ohm but my experience of trying them with my fiio X3 and X3ii they didn't sound anyway near as great as with the BH Crack.  I tried the DT-990 on my Lyr2 and Ember but they still don't compare to how they sound with the BH Crack.  I think its what many call a great pairing where the amp and headphone have good synergy together.

Jun 25, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #2,737 of 3,438
IME the TH-600 has more bass than the HE-400, and holds together better at stronger volumes, maintaining control and detail. An amp helps the HE-400 gain in extension and punch, but won't change the balance.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #2,738 of 3,438

I wouldn't say the TH600s have bad build quality.  But there is a Achilles heel to speak of.  The headband has a weak point at the cup pivot that you should pay attention to.  The 2 screws are prone to loosening, and once apart are very difficult to get together.  That's an "if", and not necessarily an issue for everyone, and not for me.  This "design flaw" goes back to the Denons that Fostex made as well....

If it is "just" a loose screw, couldn't you just apply some at loctite on the threads never have to worry about it coming loose?

I could be wrong, but from what I remember with the Denon headphones, it was the screw outright breaking; not loosening.

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #2,739 of 3,438

It has not happened with my TH600 but it did happen with my D2000. One screw fell out but I used Loc-Tite when I replaced it, and it never happened again.

Would you recommend Loc-Titing it in advance before the screw starts to loosen?

I have both the D2000 and TH600 and wonder if I should pro-actively do this to avoid any future issues.

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #2,740 of 3,438
  Would you recommend Loc-Titing it in advance before the screw starts to loosen?

I have both the D2000 and TH600 and wonder if I should pro-actively do this to avoid any future issues.

That would be a great idea for the D2000 except the screws are very difficult to install and easy to lose. They use tiny spring washers which are intended to apply pressure to the screw to keep it in but they don't work very well, if you are using the Loctite you will only need one flat washer. Make sure to use Loctite 242 which allows for later removal of the screw if necessary.

My TH600 has shown no signs of loosening screws, it may use a different construction?

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #2,742 of 3,438
Hi everyone. I have fiio x5ii and i ordered fostex 600. Should i get amp for better sound or x5ii is enough? Thx

smily_headphones1.gif

Just tried my TH-600 with X3ii, sound is pretty good, not quite like when driven by the Ember but pretty good for portable listening.  I think you can go without an amp but it you want to get the most out of the TH-600 then an amp will be needed, YMMV.

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #2,743 of 3,438
Just tried my TH-600 with X3ii, sound is pretty good, not quite like when driven by the Ember but pretty good for portable listening.  I think you can go without an amp but it you want to get the most out of the TH-600 then an amp will be needed, YMMV.

Thx a lot. What amps should look at? Cause im very new to it. And i listen to club music and jazz, depends on the mood :)

Jun 28, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #2,744 of 3,438
Thx a lot. What amps should look at? Cause im very new to it. And i listen to club music and jazz, depends on the mood
smily_headphones1.gif

Depends on your budget, the Project Ember is one of the most versatile amps that I have used, it has adjustable output resistance/impedance which lets it pair with almost any headphone and only has one tube so its easy to get different tubes which are not to pricy.  They will work quite well with the TH-600 which are fairly easy to drive and will also work with hard to drive headphones like the HE-400i and high impedance headphones like the HD-650/600.

Jun 28, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #2,745 of 3,438
Depends on your budget, the Project Ember is one of the most versatile amps that I have used, it has adjustable output resistance/impedance which lets it pair with almost any headphone and only has one tube so its easy to get different tubes which are not to pricy.  They will work quite well with the TH-600 which are fairly easy to drive and will also work with hard to drive headphones like the HE-400i and high impedance headphones like the HD-650/600.

Does it make sense to look at portable amps cause most of the time i will use it on the go. Thx again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back