Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jun 2, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #2,686 of 3,438
  Wow, do you think the HE-400 has better bass than the LCD2?

That would surprise me.

When I owned the HE400 I did love the bass, but I wanted a tad more.  If the LCD2 actually has less, then I think a fostex th600 would probably be all that I need?

One thing I've found with the HE-400 and LCD-2 is that the amount of bass tends to change with the amp in use.  The TH-600 will have pretty good bass no matter which amp I use.  Also, the tubes that are installed will have a effect on the amount of and quality of bass produced by the HE-400 and LCD-2.   Its like if the headphone and amp/tube have good synergy the sound can be spectacular, it the pairing is not good then the sound will suffer.  I currently have a Lyr2, Asgard2, and Project Ember that I use with the above 3 headphones, the LCD-2 and HE-400 sound best on the Lyr2 while the TH-600 sounds best on the Ember.  Hope this info helps you.

Jun 2, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #2,687 of 3,438
Hmm well I only have a magni 2 uber and dont expect to buy anything else for a good while.

Is ember a solid state amp or tube amp?

I thought the bass on the HE400 sounded phenomenal through the magni 2 uber

Jun 2, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2,688 of 3,438
One thing I've found with the HE-400 and LCD-2 is that the amount of bass tends to change with the amp in use.  The TH-600 will have pretty good bass no matter which amp I use.  Also, the tubes that are installed will have a effect on the amount of and quality of bass produced by the HE-400 and LCD-2.   Its like if the headphone and amp/tube have good synergy the sound can be spectacular, it the pairing is not good then the sound will suffer.  I currently have a Lyr2, Asgard2, and Project Ember that I use with the above 3 headphones, the LCD-2 and HE-400 sound best on the Lyr2 while the TH-600 sounds best on the Ember.  Hope this info helps you.

^This!

The bass on the LCD-2, LCD-2f, and TH600 are different enough from each other that it really depends on your preferences.

The TH600 on my setup has very tight, controlled bass, but it feels almost never ending. My HE-4s have some of the best bass I've heard, and at times, I feel the TH600s outclass my HE-4s in both quantity and quality... More tactility and tecture.

But, the TH600s driven poorly can sound flabby and bloated with loose, sloppy bass and harsh treble. It really depends on your setup, and realistically, your plan for future gear. It's rare to find a amp that complements both planars and efficient, low-resistance headphone...

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #2,689 of 3,438
  Hmm well I only have a magni 2 uber and dont expect to buy anything else for a good while.

Is ember a solid state amp or tube amp?

I thought the bass on the HE400 sounded phenomenal through the magni 2 uber

The Ember is a hybrid amp, see Garage 1217 site for specs or go to the Project Ember thread, sorry gotta hurry this, girlfriend want to go out, let me know if you need more info, will post back later when we get home if not to drunk.

Jun 2, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #2,690 of 3,438

So, in this analysis, the Asgard 2 does not compliment any headphone best? 

.........That sounds like a piece of Schitt to me.

Jun 2, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,691 of 3,438
  I was pretty surprised with how much bass the TH600 has. It's a good headphone if you like your bass.

I see in your signature that you have both X1 and TH600. Is X1 doing anything better than TH600 by any stretch? How easy is it to justify having both?

Ah, nevermind, I see you put up your X1 for sale, so that probably answers my question.

Jun 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2,692 of 3,438
  So, in this analysis, the Asgard 2 does not compliment any headphone best? 

.........That sounds like a piece of Schitt to me.

I have the Asgard2 on my lanai gaming system and its a really good SS amp IMO, it just does not pair as well with bright headphones like DT-990, HD-700, HD-800, and most Grados.  I use it went I want to do a little gaming late at night and use a either a Fidelio X1 or K7XX.

Jun 2, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,694 of 3,438

I see in your signature that you have both X1 and TH600. Is X1 doing anything better than TH600 by any stretch? How easy is it to justify having both?

Ah, nevermind, I see you put up your X1 for sale, so that probably answers my question.

Both are great for their respective price classes. Still might keep the X1, kind of trying to decide on it. X1 has a great soundstage, is very comfortable, and a warmer sound with non-fatiguing treble. Lacks some detail with the laid back highs, but still a good headphone.

Jun 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #2,698 of 3,438
  do you guys know any IEMs with similar signature as the TH600?

In the very affordable spectrum I think the titans have a similarly U shaped signature, clarity and crispness, but also that thinish mids which gives them that airiness. Both also have great bass and treble extension

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,699 of 3,438
I sold my HE-400 a while ago so its hard for me to say exactly, but IIRC the TH600 has a bit more bass quantity and about the same quality, probably a little looser but more fun IMO. Outside of bass, Id say the TH600 is better in every way. It is just more refined overall and doesnt have any of the HE-400's wonky frequency response problems.

The LCD-2 sounds very, very different. Fuller mids, less treble, smoother and denser. The TH600 is thin in the mids and has more of a crisp, sparkly sound. LCD-2 has great extension and definition in the bass but its not really trying to be a "fun" basshead can IMO. The TH600 has moar boogie.

That said, the HE-400 and LCD-2 can probably take more extreme bass EQ than the TH600 without sounding bloated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back