Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Apr 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #2,161 of 3,438
Could someone with the TH900 and/or TH600 confirm whether or not they use the same earpads?

I find the TH600 in stock configuration to sound "better" than the early D7000, but I seem to prefer the late-model D2000 directly.

Vis-à-vis the D2000, I find the TH600 to have noticeably tighter bass and superior fundamentals. Its main issues are relative stridency in the 6KHz region and a very noticeable midrange suckout. While the Fostex certainly produces more technical finesse, I prefer the D2000 for its fuller sound signature.

One aspect I found curious was that the D2000 appears to have superior sub-bass response. We know that the Denon drivers are masters of distortion (in the bad sense) below 50Hz, so I did some playing around. When I swapped the pads, I noticed that the D2000 sounded noticeably thinner than with their stock pads -- sub-bass response was weakened and bleeding as well.

I'll have to experiment more with the D2000 pads on the TH600 just before I ship them out. I'm a little curious why Fostex ditched the superbly-fitting later Denon earpads for this less-contoured (albeit lighter and more comfortable) eggshell leather jazz.

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,162 of 3,438
  Could someone with the TH900 and/or TH600 confirm whether or not they use the same earpads?

I find the TH600 in stock configuration to sound "better" than the early D7000, but I seem to prefer the late-model D2000 directly.

Vis-à-vis the D2000, I find the TH600 to have noticeably tighter bass and superior fundamentals. Its main issues are relative stridency in the 6KHz region and a very noticeable midrange suckout. While the Fostex certainly produces more technical finesse, I prefer the D2000 for its fuller sound signature.

One aspect I found curious was that the D2000 appears to have superior sub-bass response. We know that the Denon drivers are masters of distortion (in the bad sense) below 50Hz, so I did some playing around. When I swapped the pads, I noticed that the D2000 sounded noticeably thinner than with their stock pads -- sub-bass response was weakened and bleeding as well.

I'll have to experiment more with the D2000 pads on the TH600 just before I ship them out. I'm a little curious why Fostex ditched the superbly-fitting later Denon earpads for this less-contoured (albeit lighter and more comfortable) eggshell leather jazz.

Have you heard a D2000 with the Lawton mods?  Bass gets quite tight..................

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,163 of 3,438
I'm comfortable with the bass response of the D2000 as-is. I fear that additional damping would muck up its tonal balance, which I feel to be more fun than the D7000 (earlier revision) or TH600.

Bear in mind I don't find much enjoyment in v-shaped sound signatures, so the perceived midrange flatness (relatively, as opposed to a dip) is something I find very appealing about the D2000.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #2,164 of 3,438

I've owned both and am fairly certain the earpads are the same. They're both protein leather and feel the same to my ears, but there might be subtle design differences regarding angle and whatnot that I didn't notice when putting them on my head.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #2,165 of 3,438
I've owned both several times and they aren't the same. The TH-600 have fairly conventional lambskin leather pads, while the TH-900 have egg-protein leather pads. I believe the egg-protein pads are bit more luxurious due to the fact that they whether more gracefully and keep their shape longer. Dimensions and angle slant seem to be the same though. 

Note: IMO, YMMV

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #2,166 of 3,438
Interesting with the different viewpoints.

Fostex advertises the TH600's earpads as being of the same eggshell protein-derived material: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-600.shtml

I can confirm the earpads definitely feel much more lighter and breathable than traditional lambskin.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,167 of 3,438
Interesting with the different viewpoints.

Fostex advertises the TH600's earpads as being of the same eggshell protein-derived material: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-600.shtml

I can confirm the earpads definitely feel much more lighter and breathable than traditional lambskin.

It is possible that they have changed since I compared them which was several months ago. If they say they are using egg-protein they are more than likely the same. I could have been crazy and just thought they were different, although I did have them side by side.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #2,168 of 3,438
  I see. Less weighty is good. And the reverbs that I spoke about. Does it ring a bell? Could be just my ears.

On higher volume, I can get the sub bass rumble to be powerful enough to feel and rumble on your head a fair bit - but only on specific songs that are very powerful down low. So in that regard they eclipse my other headphones bass power and are very weighty. The Signature DJ seemingly like the description of the FAD has more punch impactful bass as opposed to weight or rumble.

Apr 29, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #2,169 of 3,438
Thats the problem I have with the th600 it needs juice/boost to get the rumble I like. But it is very satisfying when I get it. More so than any other can. I have to juice/boost it to get the impact i want. That is the case with most hp's for me but more so with the th600.

Apr 29, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,172 of 3,438
Does anybody know where to get replacement ear pads for these? My pair are already flaking after having them for less than a year.
Try the HM5 pads from MP4nation. It fits well and IMO more comfy. They're cheap too at $8.50 each or $17 a pair delivered

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,173 of 3,438
Try the HM5 pads from MP4nation. It fits well and IMO more comfy. They're cheap too at $8.50 each or $17 a pair delivered

Yes, that is a great earpads lead. I paid $45 shipped for what are effectively the same earpads

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #2,175 of 3,438
  On higher volume, I can get the sub bass rumble to be powerful enough to feel and rumble on your head a fair bit - but only on specific songs that are very powerful down low. So in that regard they eclipse my other headphones bass power and are very weighty. The Signature DJ seemingly like the description of the FAD has more punch impactful bass as opposed to weight or rumble.

Hmm, thanks for that! Food for thought. The FAD at around €500 is my upper limit to spend on a headphone so.. it could work out pretty soon. The Sig DJ though, Sick DJ? Such ugly looking device. No way no how.

What about changes to the way it sounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back