Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jan 4, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #1,786 of 3,438
  Yeah, I suppose I am different with stuff, it isn't like I don't take care of it, but I don't expect my 500GBP Th600's to last forever, it is like watches or something, I wear a very expensive one on my wrist, people often exclaim that they are surprised that I wear it. Well that is what it is designed for, use...

Sure it has a few scratches now, but that is what happens to everything....

It is like my motorcycle, it is one of the most expensive on the planet, but I ride it every day and I have dropped it a few times...

It is either that or keep it in my living room as a sculpture :)

Like my iPhone 5, I wouldn't dream of putting a rubber case around it, that isn't how it was designed to be used, so what if i drop it, it is insured, and even if I don't want to claim, I will just buy the latest version .... I understand that some people are not in a position to do this, but it is all relative....

A bit of wear a and tear can sometimes look cool, showroom fresh has no personality :)

And that was the moment cCasper TFG remembered he was in a Fostex thread. He quickly excused himself back to his mid-fi slums..

Jan 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,788 of 3,438
http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/fostex-th-600-review.html
google worked fine for me buddy
cool.gif
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,789 of 3,438
  http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/fostex-th-600-review.html
google worked fine for me buddy
cool.gif
wink.gif

Yeah, sorry.  I already read that.  I am looking for more opinions or experiences from members here as well. 

I'm trying to figure out if I should sell my D7000 and purchase the TH600 or, if feasible, try and get the TH900.  The D7000 are my favorite headphones that I have ever owned but if I can do better, with the same "house sound", why not go for it?  Just trying to figure out if it's worthwhile.

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,790 of 3,438

Yeah, sorry.  I already read that.  I am looking for more opinions or experiences from members here as well. 

I'm trying to figure out if I should sell my D7000 and purchase the TH600 or, if feasible, try and get the TH900.  The D7000 are my favorite headphones that I have ever owned but if I can do better, with the same "house sound", why not go for it?  Just trying to figure out if it's worthwhile.

Having heard both the Denon D7000, TH600, and TH900 I think it's only worth the hassle of going through the looking, buying, selling, and waiting game if you're going to go up from the D7000 to the TH900. The TH600 is slightly better than the D7000 almost across the board, but if you have the means and want a real upgrade, just go full force unless you like how the TH600 looks or some other non-sound factor. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #1,791 of 3,438
  Having heard both the Denon D7000, TH600, and TH900 I think it's only worth the hassle of going through the looking, buying, selling, and waiting game if you're going to go up from the D7000 to the TH900. The TH600 is slightly better than the D7000 almost across the board, but if you have the means and want a real upgrade, just go full force unless you like how the TH600 looks or some other non-sound factor. 

I agree with this. Although I will add that if the hot treble on the D7K bothers you, opt for the TH-600. They are much better in that regard. They also have a more balanced bass response. Other than that, they are similar in most other aspects with small, but noticeable improvements. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,792 of 3,438

Hah. Beats by Denon =P

As for using the TH series cans while on the move, I dunno. Never done it before. The cable length alone would probably bother me enough (I already find the cable too long for desktop use, tbh). There are a few members that use them (TH600, in particular) while commuting, so it's definitely doable. They're well finished and the internals are reliable, but I doubt they were designed with mobile use in mind.

So I put the Colorfly in my back pocket of my jeans, the loop of cable of in my front pocket, and then have the cable coming up from my front pocket. Admittedly I do have to take the C4 out of my back pocket when I sit down, however that thing is the really cumbersome item in this "portable" set up. Yet I am fine on trains planes and .... well just trains and planes actually .... well a couple of trains and loads of planes ...

I do totally understand that some cans can look really ridiculous, see my comments about my 7100's, I would never wear them out in public, they look like they have been designed by the same people that design those teeth braces that you only wear at night, massive Frankenstein'esque contraptions that look as far from cool as it can get. They make your head look like Norman Foster has had a crack at it, and F'ed up.

The Th600's, yes they are quite big, and maybe I do look like a prick walking around with them, but no more so than someone with some neon pink Beats.

Besides, I was at Schipol and was standing on one of its many moving walkways and coming towards me on the opposing side was a dude with a pair on too. We did that thing that VW Beetle owners do when they see another one on the road, we didn't have horns to honk, so a smile and a nod of recognition it was.

I am sure warrenpchi would be most disappointed that I didn't throw the HeadFi gang sign :)

For me, there is another dimension to having hi end stuff on the go. It is of course the same with all music on the go, kind of, I find though that with hi end kit and the SQ that comes with it just makes the cocoon that one walks around in even more special. Everything might be grey and dreary, people might be rushing to work, all kinds of madness can be going on around you, you might have just bumped onto the runway in Bogota, but whatever is going on, you have this amazing SQ sound track to all of it. 7100's are an outlier, they are that ugly, aside from them, I don't really care too much for how I look with any cans on. I mean I have the Custom One Pro and those things are certainly deeper than these and don't have as good SQ, no way.

Yeah these are deffo my travelling companions for a while. However the hunt will never be over, which I think is what I love the most. I can collect headphones and they don't cost that much really in comparison to some of my other hobbies.

They really satisfy me too, I am lucky in so much as I bought the 7100's as my first pair of non Grado closed back hi end headphones. I thought that they were great and came on here to read about how great they were after buying them. That is not what I read :)

Then I got really lucky and instead of trawling through masses of reviews and threads, I simply listen to one guy now, who knows my tastes and tells me what to buy, he never gets it wrong, ever.

He throws gang signs too...

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,793 of 3,438
  And that was the moment cCasper TFG remembered he was in a Fostex thread. He quickly excused himself back to his mid-fi slums..

Sorry mate. I work and have worked my bollocks off for every penny of it, didn't mean to come over as giving it the big one, I am no "silver spooner".

Jan 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,794 of 3,438
OK, I see talk of angled pads and these already having slightly angled pads. Here is the thing, when I took mine out of the box, the pads were angled different ways. It is just a question of spinning them .... ummmm .... which way are they supposed to be? Thick bit front or thin bit front ... hahaha...

Jan 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,795 of 3,438
  OK, I see talk of angled pads and these already having slightly angled pads. Here is the thing, when I took mine out of the box, the pads were angled different ways. It is just a question of spinning them .... ummmm .... which way are they supposed to be? Thick bit front or thin bit front ... hahaha...

Spin them, thick in the back. 

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #1,797 of 3,438
The TH600 is the denon AH-d7000, almost identically. Got the d7000 a few feet away from me. The differences are there, but barely perceptible - if someone fooled you into thinking you had one or the other on, it'd come down to changes in the earpads, and if those were the same? eh.

Jan 9, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #1,799 of 3,438
  Peeps, someone said that the earpad depth is more shallow than the pad depth of the Fidelio X1. I'm warming up to the Fostex so can anyone who has (auditioned) both speak on that please?

Just for reference, happy and relieved to say that my ears are no way touching the TH-600 drivers where the X1 did. One step closer to a keeper.

First impressions vs D5000 with some electronic music: very similar sounding. Yes, I do hear a difference which I would describe as the Denon being a bit more laid back (not as tight in the punchy area) and slightly less detailed. This only started to be obvious when playing more complex music. Cool stuff! For now the softer Denon pads have my preference. The Fostex's are a bit harder but not uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back