Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Jan 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,771 of 3,438
@cCasper TFG - That looks sweet, I need to look up plasti-dip now...

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,773 of 3,438
If anybody wants to know about how this th600 is against the so called bass cannon Ultrasone Pro900:
The Fostex th600 totally destroys it and reduces it to a crying rubble of senseless mud in all frequency spectrums.
Picture the Pro900 a crying mess of mud while the th600 hovers high over it majestically like the Sun and drying it out.
It is utterly embarrassing to play the Pro900 along side it.
I know because I have it next to me :frowning2:
Edit:
I don't disagree with what little if any positives the Pro900 may have over others (lol),
Its just that the th600 is so good it warrants keeping every time I think of downsizing.. (!)

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,775 of 3,438
^I want closed back bass with open back air/hear through sound... I don't care if it leaks or how its curves look.
I already had the dark lcd2 with its small soundstage and the bass was good but I wanted a little more impact
very_evil_smiley.gif
, he500 was the closest in balance preferred but the bass to me was mehhh(maybe good quality but impact nope). I like this JVC dx700 here but its decay is a bit slow and it is dark again, also detail is not that great... I may just save up little by little for this th600..

it may be a long term (some months) goal but sometimes you need more than one phone to do what you want. and the th600 seems promising with its depth and width in soundstage and bass. 

Right now the dampened yamaha with alpha pads is the closest i can get to it...I hope to be blown away but that never happens so I will settle for being satisfied. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,776 of 3,438
If anybody wants to know about how this th600 is against the so called bass cannon Ultrasone Pro900:
The Fostex th600 totally destroys it and reduces it to a crying rubble of senseless mud in all frequency spectrums.
Picture the Pro900 a crying mess of mud while the th600 hovers high over it majestically like the Sun and drying it out.
I know because I have it next to me
frown.gif

Edit:
I don't disagree with what little if any positives the Pro900 may have over others (lol),
Its just that the th600 is so good it warrants keeping every time I think of downsizing.. (!)

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #1,777 of 3,438
I know because I have it next to me
frown.gif

Edit:

until you have to actually use a headphone in a rough environment for portable use without having to worry about its fragility..

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #1,778 of 3,438
  until you have to actually use a headphone in a rough environment for portable use without having to worry about its fragility..

In this scenario, the Pro900 then becomes a beast.  :wink:

Jan 4, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #1,779 of 3,438
  In this scenario, the Pro900 then becomes a beast.  :wink:

That's one of the only reasons I still have it around after getting Denons and looking into the TH900. It's just one headphone that can hold its own in the real world as well as deliver impressive sound quality. Few headphones are in that category (the Alpha Dog being another off the top of my head).

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #1,780 of 3,438
  That's one of the only reasons I still have it around after getting Denons and looking into the TH900. It's just one headphone that can hold its own in the real world as well as deliver impressive sound quality. Few headphones are in that category (the Alpha Dog being another off the top of my head).

That's interesting I bought the Th600 as my travelling version of my Th900's, ended up liking them more, but to my mind the 600's are not really fragile, having said that I don't know how fragile they are in relation to the Ultrasones, and as for Denon well I have the DH7100's and you cant take them anywhere, that plastic would snap so easily.Besides you kind of look like a prick wearing those things outside.

I am not afraid with my 600's though, I feel fine chucking them in a carry on bag etc....

I am impressed with their build quality for sure, maybe not military grade, but robust things. The finish on the Th900's would get ruined very quickly if one traveled with them.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #1,781 of 3,438
  That's interesting I bought the Th600 as my travelling version of my Th900's, ended up liking them more, but to my mind the 600's are not really fragile, having said that I don't know how fragile they are in relation to the Ultrasones, and as for Denon well I have the DH7100's and you cant take them anywhere, that plastic would snap so easily.Besides you kind of look like a prick wearing those things outside.

I am not afraid with my 600's though, I feel fine chucking them in a carry on bag etc....

I am impressed with their build quality for sure, maybe not military grade, but robust things. The finish on the Th900's would get ruined very quickly if one traveled with them.

I was talking about the old Denon line made by Fostex. They share the same fragility of the Fostex line. I don't mean they will absolutely break. They are indeed built well and use very high quality parts, but I would think twice about throwing them in a travel bag or taking them anywhere where even moderate exercise is being done (forget the size for a sec, just speaking in terms of how they'd hold up). Perhaps it's better to say that these types of headphones are cans that you should care for rather than abuse. Calling them fragile and easily broken are probably not correct. Even Tyll wrote that the frames used to make these phones don't exude confidence in taking abuse. The Pro 900 however, I could literally chuck at a wall many times and would not doubt they'd still be in one piece. 

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #1,782 of 3,438

The Denon Dx000's frames aren't anything like the Denon DH7100, in any way. The Dx000's are made of a metal frame, the only parts that are plastic on the whole headphone are a couple gaskets where the headphone swivels and 2 little pieces inside the headband adjustment that hold the bearing balls to hold the headband size setting. The one thing I will say about the older Denons is that the paint scratches very easily. I don't know if the THx00 headband parts are painted the same, but I assume they are. These headphones will wear very quickly being tossed around in bags, rubbing against their own cables, etc.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,783 of 3,438
  ..... and as for Denon well I have the DH7100's and you cant take them anywhere, that plastic would snap so easily. Besides you kind of look like a prick wearing those things outside.

Hah. Beats by Denon =P

As for using the TH series cans while on the move, I dunno. Never done it before. The cable length alone would probably bother me enough (I already find the cable too long for desktop use, tbh). There are a few members that use them (TH600, in particular) while commuting, so it's definitely doable. They're well finished and the internals are reliable, but I doubt they were designed with mobile use in mind.

Jan 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #1,784 of 3,438
  The Denon Dx000's frames aren't anything like the Denon DH7100, in any way. The Dx000's are made of a metal frame, the only parts that are plastic on the whole headphone are a couple gaskets where the headphone swivels and 2 little pieces inside the headband adjustment that hold the bearing balls to hold the headband size setting. The one thing I will say about the older Denons is that the paint scratches very easily. I don't know if the THx00 headband parts are painted the same, but I assume they are. These headphones will wear very quickly being tossed around in bags, rubbing against their own cables, etc.

Yeah, I suppose I am different with stuff, it isn't like I don't take care of it, but I don't expect my 500GBP Th600's to last forever, it is like watches or something, I wear a very expensive one on my wrist, people often exclaim that they are surprised that I wear it. Well that is what it is designed for, use...

Sure it has a few scratches now, but that is what happens to everything....

It is like my motorcycle, it is one of the most expensive on the planet, but I ride it every day and I have dropped it a few times...

It is either that or keep it in my living room as a sculpture :)

Like my iPhone 5, I wouldn't dream of putting a rubber case around it, that isn't how it was designed to be used, so what if i drop it, it is insured, and even if I don't want to claim, I will just buy the latest version .... I understand that some people are not in a position to do this, but it is all relative....

A bit of wear a and tear can sometimes look cool, showroom fresh has no personality :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,785 of 3,438
I remember my pro900s had bad isolation and were hard to drive well for portable use, sounded terrible and muddy out of an iPhone. Ofc you ideally want a portable amp anyway though; but having since had dt1350 and now vmoda m100s which are both equally indestructible, isolate better and sound great out of anything, I wouldn't call the pro900s portable.

Anyway off topic.. Would never take my th600s out, whats the point they also don't isolate, leak and look silly on the head (huge). I'm still interested in trying some Signature Pros or Sig DJs because I see them as being potentially the ultimate in portables. But the Focal Spirit Pros have got my attention too atm as being great studio mixing cans. Don't need any of these though, so content with the th600s at home and will be for quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back