Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Nov 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #1,576 of 3,438
Just to clarify, my Single ended amp is the Audio Gd 15.32 DAC/Amp. When I go balanced I use the Audio Gd as a DAC and the speaker Amp as the "amp". The speaker amp doesn't have any other outputs apart from the speaker terminals so I pretty much have to recable to use the speaker amp otherwise I'm running the TH600 out of the Audio Gd by itself.

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #1,577 of 3,438
Got my TH600's yesterday, spending all day listening to them today. Sounded muffled/coarse out of the box, but 5 minutes later perfect. Am I hearing things lol
tongue.gif

Sooo worth the money, don't find them too bright at all out of the M&M. The gulf between the V Moda M100 and this is insane. The imaging on the TH600 is out of the world that is for sure. Enjoying some Juno Reactor right now - currently Bible of Dreams.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,578 of 3,438
  Got my TH600's yesterday, spending all day listening to them today. Sounded muffled/coarse out of the box, but 5 minutes later perfect. Am I hearing things lol
tongue.gif

Sooo worth the money, don't find them too bright at all out of the M&M. The gulf between the V Moda M100 and this is insane. The imaging on the TH600 is out of the world that is for sure. Enjoying some Juno Reactor right now - currently Bible of Dreams.

Yup, my M100s sounded muffled by comparison when they arrived, they shouldn't be compared lol.
Both fun in different ways but the th600s are worlds better and better than a lot of cans in their price range, enjoyable for every genre under the sun, and definitely worth the money

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,579 of 3,438
I sold my Fostex TH900 last night. Having compared them side by side with the TH600 recently, I felt that I would prefer to "downgrade" to the TH600 in order to free up more funds for a HD800. I felt the gap was quite small, at least for the music I enjoy.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #1,581 of 3,438
$1250 AUD ~ they are 1800 new here, I got it 3 months ago. Sold it to friend, who has been gushing over it for a while. I can probably find a TH600 eventually. I now have $122 more dollars I need for a HD800, which I'll buy next week.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #1,583 of 3,438
I sold my Fostex TH900 last night. Having compared them side by side with the TH600 recently, I felt that I would prefer to "downgrade" to the TH600 in order to free up more funds for a HD800. I felt the gap was quite small, at least for the music I enjoy.

That was exactly my thought when I bought the TH600 2 months back. Having literally A-B ing the 900 and 600 for almost 2 hours at the local store, I decided that I can live with the "shortcomings" of the 600. To me, the 900 excels in the high frequency but the 600 won me in the mids. But the types of music that I'm listening too, the 600 serves me better.
Recently I traded my AK120 for a 6-month old HD800, so the fund I set aside initially for the 800 will go for better amplification. With my current rig, even my wife prefers the 600 over the HD800. She keeps on pestering me to buy better amp to power the 800, without realising that I'm waiting for the WA7 from the recent M***drop :p

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #1,584 of 3,438

Woohoo they arrived so quickly. Pity I don't have a 1/8 adapter to try it out on my portable setup

Nov 29, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #1,587 of 3,438
Whoa. The mids are more recessed and the highs are much more extended than the HD600s. There's so much bass its like a hammer to my head.

Are these cans improved by burning in? I'm not used to this much bass from a can. Sounds like the mid bass is boosted somewhat

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #1,588 of 3,438
That was exactly my thought when I bought the TH600 2 months back. Having literally A-B ing the 900 and 600 for almost 2 hours at the local store, I decided that I can live with the "shortcomings" of the 600. To me, the 900 excels in the high frequency but the 600 won me in the mids. But the types of music that I'm listening too, the 600 serves me better.
Recently I traded my AK120 for a 6-month old HD800, so the fund I set aside initially for the 800 will go for better amplification. With my current rig, even my wife prefers the 600 over the HD800. She keeps on pestering me to buy better amp to power the 800, without realising that I'm waiting for the WA7 from the recent M***drop
tongue.gif

HD800 is too much for the iCan indeed, tried the combo at Stereo before.

Bought the TH600 recently at local shop after seeing the price drop, love the full black design... I suppose you bought online right? Local price at that time was hmm, well...

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,589 of 3,438
Whoa. The mids are more recessed and the highs are much more extended than the HD600s. There's so much bass its like a hammer to my head.

Are these cans improved by burning in? I'm not used to this much bass from a can. Sounds like the mid bass is boosted somewhat

They do require some burn in to get used to and to settle in. The HD600 for the most part is neutral/warm. You are basically flipping that response to a U shape. I would allow your brain to get used to the sound, as they are almost opposite sounds. Bass did tighten up some with burn in as well. 

Nov 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #1,590 of 3,438

They do require some burn in to get used to and to settle in. The HD600 for the most part is neutral/warm. You are basically flipping that response to a U shape. I would allow your brain to get used to the sound, as they are almost opposite sounds. Bass did tighten up some with burn in as well. 

You're right. Some notes on the TH600:

- I'm getting used to it already although the mids sound thinner than all my other cans.
- The treble seem to extend further than all my other cans.
- It sounds clearer than all my other cans.
- The bass extends futher than all my other cans.
- They sound like they are made for EDM music which is 80% of what I listen to so I'm liking it.
- I thought they'd be more comfortable, the pads don't hold my head the way I expected similar feeling to my HE500s but they aren't unconfortable. 
- Looks like I might sell off my Mad Dogs after all.
- They sound like the an un-dark version of the Mad Dogs with the treble and bass extending further.
- The cable is not really flimsy like others have described and is quite thick and not really prone to kinking
- They are quite light (I'm used to my orthos)
- Wow, the bass. I've never heard bass like this before. Bass that is deep, extended and does not eat up into the mids at all. It'll take some getting used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back