Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #1,546 of 3,438

Come on jib, don't over hype this the cable. One of the few caveats I have regarding the Denon and Fostex headphones is the cable. Now, I typically always end up upgrading the cable, but in this case it requires a hardwire, or a cable mode to be able swap out aftermarket cables. The stock cable IMO is not good. It kinks very easy, super long for portable situations, and doesn't consist of any of the high quality dielectrics or wire that most aftermarket cables have. After I had my TH-900 hardwired, I asked that the stock cable be returned to me, just to have another spare cable to butcher for interconnects or adapters if I needed. I found cheap OFC wire that was 28-32 awg, and also only foil wrap. Don't let the cotton jacket fool you. Anyone can make a cable look nice on the outside.

PS: Loved my TH-600 and TH-900, so I'm not bad mouthing either. Just not happy with the cable in general. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,547 of 3,438
  Kurochin ...LOL awesome description! I agree as I own the LCD-2 as well. I am enjoying the TH600. It has great bass.... tuneful, weighty, impactful, punchy. I was listening to Mahler 1 yesterday and was actually startled when an extremely deep powerful portion of the symphony kicked in at a rather high volume. The TH600 swallowed this blast with ease and never came unglued. The bass and blast of the percussion went really deep and the phoned nearly jumped off my head...lol. My AH-D7000 has great bass as well but can get a little loose sometimes. The treble on the TH600 is good.It's smooth and articulate. However compared to my D7000s the midrange is lacking. The D7000 has more delicacy and articulation of detail in the midrange. Not by a huge margin but it is there. Overall thought the TH600 is a great headphone. I may order the TH900 to see if can beat the D7000. I am trying out these new Fostex in hopes of finding a worthy successor to the awesome D7000. Nothing lasts forever and i wanna be ready if my D7000s wear out or blow up or something. comments?

This is a worthy discussion.  I have a Lawton modded D7000 with Alpha pads and my newly purchased TH900 and for the life of me I can't tell them apart.  That is due in part to my 52 year old "NON-golden ears" I'm sure but it's also a tribute to Foster making a heck of a headphone, and to a lesser extent (but still definitely meaningful) Lawton mods.  I say this because I had the D7000 bone stock and the after mod phone was considerably tighter in the bass.  Takes away that looseness you mentioned above. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #1,548 of 3,438

This is a worthy discussion.  I have a Lawton modded D7000 with Alpha pads and my newly purchased TH900 and for the life of me I can't tell them apart.  That is due in part to my 52 year old "NON-golden ears" I'm sure but it's also a tribute to Foster making a heck of a headphone, and to a lesser extent (but still definitely meaningful) Lawton mods.  I say this because I had the D7000 bone stock and the after mod phone was considerably tighter in the bass.  Takes away that looseness you mentioned above. 

Excellent news Oregonian and thanks for your feedback! So you feel that the TH900 retains all the magic of the D7000 and maybe betters it?
I've made arrangements to demo the TH900 next week. So after direct comparison to the TH600 and stock D7000 I will decide which one to keep. But after hearing your descriptions Im sure I'll be dropping some more coin...lol
If the I feel the TH900s equal or surpass the D7000 I may sell the D7000 to recoup some of the cost.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #1,549 of 3,438
@Fido2
If you've still got your D7000 and reckon it's in decent condition - meaning the drivers haven't been decimated from continuous play at loud volumes over many years - and are already planning to spend some serious cash, you could get Lawton Audio to give your cans the full 3 level upgrade. Driver placement, roomier pads and larger cups can do a lot more than most people realize, and I reckon the type of wood also plays a small part in the final sound. Higher-end cables and furutech add a bit of robustness to the package.

It'll end up costing a pretty penny (I have no idea how much the total sum will come to) and you'll still technically be using the same old headphone, but if done right they'll sound exactly how you want them and have a unique finish. Sometimes, all the driver tech in the world can't replace an "older" sound that's been fine-tuned. Just look at the Mad/Alpha Dogs, also based on Fostex drivers, ironically enough.

You should be able to contact Mark via his site (I assume there's an email address somewhere) and discuss the extent of personalization/tuning and related costs. Not pushing you in any sort of direction here. Just providing food for thought.. It's what I was considering for my D7000 before I discovered the TH900.

Nov 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #1,550 of 3,438

I guess I have been bamboozled.
eek.gif
 Still I have seen much worse at least aesthetically and ergonomically on planars.

Agreed, HFM is probably the worst in this department. I'm just picky when it comes to cables so don't mind me. I admit it is better than other stock cables I've come across. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,551 of 3,438
@Fido2
If you've still got your D7000 and reckon it's in decent condition - meaning the drivers haven't been decimated from continuous play at loud volumes over many years - and are already planning to spend some serious cash, you could get Lawton Audio to give your cans the full 3 level upgrade. Driver placement, roomier pads and larger cups can do a lot more than most people realize, and I reckon the type of wood also plays a small part in the final sound. Higher-end cables and furutech add a bit of robustness to the package.

It'll end up costing a pretty penny (I have no idea how much the total sum will come to) and you'll still technically be using the same old headphone, but if done right they'll sound exactly how you want them and have a unique finish. Sometimes, all the driver tech in the world can't replace an "older" sound that's been fine-tuned. Just look at the Mad/Alpha Dogs, also based on Fostex drivers, ironically enough.

You should be able to contact Mark via his site (I assume there's an email address somewhere) and discuss the extent of personalization/tuning and related costs. Not pushing you in any sort of direction here. Just providing food for thought.. It's what I was considering for my D7000 before I discovered the TH900.

Yes I have thought about this avenue. We'll see. So you feel the TH900 obviously betters the D7000 while yet retaining all of the D7000s charm?

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,553 of 3,438
@Fido2

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #1,555 of 3,438
I've got a TH600 coming in the mail. I previously bought a mad dogs 3.2 so I could have a closed can. Should I let the mad dogs go?

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #1,556 of 3,438
I've got a TH600 coming in the mail. I previously bought a mad dogs 3.2 so I could have a closed can. Should I let the mad dogs go?

The TH600 will leak sound so if you need a truly sealed can the Mad Dog will fill that bill. 

Myself, I like having multiple cans to give some variety to my music listening.

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #1,558 of 3,438
I eventually got the TH600s for $624usd from ebay. It's a little more than I was expecting but hope it's still an ok price

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #1,559 of 3,438
I eventually got the TH600s for $624usd from ebay. It's a little more than I was expecting but hope it's still an ok price

Lol, its a bargain. They were used though. My friend (Melbourne) wanted those as well and was going to bid but he just have had a low maximum Haha.

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #1,560 of 3,438
I think spurxiii meant usd = us dollars, not used. So yes $624USD is a very good price. These TH600s really are a great phone....very powerful weighty sound and the detail is good as well...maybe theyre breaking in or Im adjusting....but they really jam and are not fatiguing...and theyre comfy!! If the 900 is noticably better...wow...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back