Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Oct 17, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #2,371 of 3,438
  Urushi is just one name for that treatment used across Asia. Japan does not own the market for that level of finish. It can be just as good in Korea or Thailand.

No, what I meant was that these cups have to be made in Japan for being part of the flagship headphone of a japanese company.

Regarding quality... thats another question. I know there are Katana available made in China... but ask any Iaidoka what they think about them. Yes, I do think that Japan has a culture of refinement of these processes and I understand why Fostex decided to go with other cups (i.e. not a cheap version of their TH900 cups) with the TH600.

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #2,372 of 3,438

No, what I meant was that these cups have to be made in Japan for being part of the flagship headphone of a japanese company.

Regarding quality... thats another question. I know there are Katana available made in China... but ask any Iaidoka what they think about them. Yes, I do think that Japan has a culture of refinement of these processes and I understand why Fostex decided to go with other cups (i.e. not a cheap version of their TH900 cups) with the TH600.

Gotcha !
wink_face.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #2,373 of 3,438
Noticed my new TH600s have a CE sticker on the left side of the headband. A European marking, yes? I am located in Arizona, US and these were purchased from AudioDeluxe (Amazon-fulfilled seller) who is apparently located in Franklin, TN. Why would this sticker be on my pair?

EDIT
Noticed the CE is also on the product box and manufacturer shipping box.

Oct 22, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #2,374 of 3,438
hello! 

ive got a question if you dont mind 

planning to purchase the heads with a 100$ discount 
so what do you people think about the source if im gonna use an ordinary iphone ? th600 will be my upgrade from fidelio x1, and the later has been mostly used with iphone and that was great for me.

yes , ive tried out th600 with ibasso dx90 and ak 120 ll, didnt find a big change compared to banal iphone 
maybe i dont hear the difference, don know 

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,376 of 3,438
Hello I never bothered with this thread because I initially bought them long ago for my basshead son..

I took them to a mini meet when they were relatively new(weeks) and they were just too bassy and kind of shiny exaggerated upper treble,
Yet with very impressive soundstage...
bottom line no one really liked them because of the overdone bass.

Then something happened...
my sone gave them to me to get repaired about 2months later as he treats headphones badly, falling asleep on them and dropping them all the time...

The hinge has a spring pressured srew that got loose and is not accessible to re-tighten..

So before I sent them off to repair (still haven't yet lol) I just by instinct decided to listen...

MY Gawd they did an about face and sounded lovely..
large, realistic and wet/sweet with air and much less sibilance,
with nice bass this time more accurate/controled when it was called for..
Still a bass monster but a far cry from how it sounded before as it is more balanced and very clear.
like a T1 with the bass elevated. ..
So I brought them again to my friends to hear and all like them and agreed this was not the sound it had before. .
I brought them to the last NYmeet as well..

So the change was such that everyone noticed for the better. .
It still has that large bass but the clarity and trebles improved much over stock..
Asked how? My son says he doesn't know...
Which actually means to me he just blasted/beat the crap out of them so I can't say how many hours but I am estimating over 200hrs.

A friend bought a set after hearing mine but now says he dissapionted they don't sound like mine so that's the amount of change we talking about..

Maybe one day I will reterminate the cord to balanced as the driver is very articulate and should benifit the soundstage..

I am hoping when I return that they wont swap out the unit with another because I am guessing a painful burn in process again lol.

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2,381 of 3,438
How hard are these to drive? Will they run from an iPhone/MacBook (not ideal i realise)?

I thought these played pretty well with iStuff. I actually preferred what I was getting out of an iPhone 5s than my MBP, which was not what I expected. But definitely better with a dedicated amp, even a portable.

It was weird to me that these did so well on devices but were equipped with a big plug.

Nov 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #2,383 of 3,438
How hard are these to drive? Will they run from an iPhone/MacBook (not ideal i realise)?

While you may not discover their full potential without an amp, its no problem using them directly out of an iPhone or Macbook. Just get an adapter with a short cable to avoid stress on the jackets:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_tpa_1003_bk.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back