Fostex TH600 Dynamic Headphones
Nov 22, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #1,486 of 3,438
I've already mentioned this. The TH-900's price can only be justified if you're willing to spend (at least) 2x TH-900 money on amplification, and even then you'll only have a few offerings that synergize (ie; Bakoon or ZDSE) in a fashion that appeals to your preferred sound signature. Driven by a Burson or Violectric - great "general practitioner" amps in their own right, no doubt - and you'll feel the TH900's overpriced against it's little sibling due to only marginal advantages.

If you've got around $2K to spend, a $800 TH-600 + $1200 for amp and source would be a much wiser investment.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #1,487 of 3,438
By that logic there's no merit to buying the D7000 over the D2000. The TH900 looks a lot nicer and sounds better too. Besides, I'm not convinced the TH600 would sound any better than my D7000, but I know the TH900 does.

Its been proven that the D2000 has a different driver to the D7000 - that's why.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #1,489 of 3,438
I've already mentioned this. The TH-900's price can only be justified if you're willing to spend (at least) 2x TH-900 money on amplification, and even then you'll only have a few offerings that synergize (ie; Bakoon or ZDSE) in a fashion that appeals to your preferred sound signature. Driven by a Burson or Violectric - great "general practitioner" amps in their own right, no doubt - and you'll feel the TH900's overpriced against it's little sibling due to only marginal advantages.

Personally, that is not my experience. To me anything from the Rx Mk3 to a Zana Deux the TH-900 doesn't change that much. But I'm the kind who is willing to spend a lot more in the amp just to squeeze the last few percentages out of the TH-900.

The TH-600 on the other hand to my experience benefited from different amp electronics. With Fostex own HP-A8, I felt the TH-600 matched its price with respect to the TH-900 pricing. On the other hand when I changed to a different DAC/Amp the TH-600 sounded much closer to the TH-900, that made the TH-600 better value than it's priced.

In other words to me the TH-600 is able to scale more than the TH-900, and the TH-900 doesn't need expensive amps to achieve it's capabilities.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #1,491 of 3,438
Yes, because it's totally been proven that the TH600 and 900 use the same driver. I doubt it, especially with the price difference being so much.

Did I say that? Price is arbitrary when it comes to business models. You people forget that at the end of the day this is a company out to make profits even if it is at the expense of your rationality.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #1,492 of 3,438
Why wouldn't they? Its not like they'd be pioneering this approach.

Careful, you're threading on dangerous ground here. If you saying Fostex is lying, you better have proof of it.

I for one had both models in my hand for review earlier this year (and I still have my TH-900) and from the way each headphone performs based on different amps, they scale differently that convinces me they have different drivers.

Did I say that? Price is arbitrary when it comes to business models. You people forget that at the end of the day this is a company out to make profits even if itis at the expensive of your rationality.

And you forget that there are many reputable businesses who make a profit legitimately.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #1,493 of 3,438
Careful, you're threading on dangerous ground here. If you saying Fostex is lying, you better have proof of it.

I for one had both models in my hand for review earlier this year (and I still have my TH-900) and from the way each headphone performs based on different amps, they scale differently that convinces me they have different drivers.

And you forget that there are many reputable businesses who make a profit legitimately.

Fooling people into believing a products monetary value reflects its cost is a legitimate way to make a profit. Just look at Apple.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #1,494 of 3,438
I would like to point out that if you go to fostex's Japanese page, it clearly states the drivers are not the same. The TH600 is rated as 1 tesla. The TH900, at 1.5. I don't know what else you could want, the specs are publicly available and clearly they are not the same headphone

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,495 of 3,438
Fooling people into believing a products monetary value reflects its cost is a legitimate way to make a profit. Just look at Apple.

dryvadeum, I'm stopping you trolling and polluting this thread with your nonsensical conspiracy theories unless you have some proof to your claims. I'm reachable by PM.

I would like to point out that if you go to fostex's Japanese page, it clearly states the drivers are not the same. The TH600 is rated as 1 tesla. The TH900, at 1.5. I don't know what else you could want, the specs are publicly available and clearly they are not the same headphone

matvei, that's not the point. He knows what's advertised in public. He's claiming Fostex is lying. In short, he's trolling without evidence. Nothing to see here, move along with the TH-600 topic.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #1,496 of 3,438

Personally, that is not my experience. To me anything from the Rx Mk3 to a Zana Deux the TH-900 doesn't change that much. But I'm the kind who is willing to spend a lot more in the amp just to squeeze the last few percentages out of the TH-900.

The TH-600 on the other hand to my experience benefited from different amp electronics. With Fostex own HP-A8, I felt the TH-600 matched its price with respect to the TH-900 pricing. On the other hand when I changed to a different DAC/Amp the TH-600 sounded much closer to the TH-900, that made the TH-600 better value than it's priced.

In other words to me the TH-600 is able to scale more than the TH-900, and the TH-900 doesn't need expensive amps to achieve it's capabilities.

I won't disagree, since you're basically agreeing with what I said, in that the TH-600's "ceiling" is much easier to reach. It's always that last tenth that's the most elusive, and usually the most expensive.

I've not heard a ZDSE. I just threw it out there since a lot of posters seem to rate it highly. But I have auditioned the BAkoon HPA-21, and the way TH-900 scales on that thing's low-gain current output is just insane!! I've never heard such a vast difference on any headphone compared to my Burson Soloist. You should get a hold of some of the JDM Bakoons since you live there.

Nov 22, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,497 of 3,438

I won't disagree, since you're basically agreeing with what I said, in that the TH-600's "ceiling" is much easier to reach. It's always that last tenth that's the most elusive, and usually the most expensive.

I've not heard a ZDSE. I just threw it out there since a lot of posters seem to rate it highly. But I have auditioned the BAkoon HPA-21, and the way TH-900 scales on that thing's low-gain current output is just insane!! I've never heard such a vast difference on any headphone compared to my Burson Soloist. You should get a hold of some of the JDM Bakoons since you live there.

Hmmm...wondering if my English has gone so bad that I can't comprehend. I'll re-read more carefully when I get home but I thought you and I were talking about complete opposites. Will check later.

This is where I'm thankful to Head-Fi 'cos I've not even heard of Bakoons despite being a Japanese brand (presumably?) and I've lived here for almost 14 years. Thx for the tip, will look out for that brand.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #1,498 of 3,438
Wow there's some really dumb stuff being said these past couple of pages. 

Quote:
Its been proven that the D2000 has a different driver to the D7000 - that's why.

Can you prove that? I have only seen Tyll claim they are different based on numbers stamped on the drivers on the D7000s. I fully believe you're conspiracy theory
rolleyes.gif
 so I'm not going to fall for Fostex's dumb tactics to simply label each driver with different numbers and fool us. They are surely the same driver, and the numbers are part of the elaborate ploy. The D7000 is surely the same driver as the D2000. 
wink.gif
 I mean, if a company is going to go through with blatantly peddling its already small niche customer base through outright lies and fabrication, some stamped numbers on the drivers are surely part of the hoax. 

Do you actually have reputable magnetic Gauss measurements of the driver's magnets from a fully disassembled D7000 and D2000 driver? Didn't think so.

While we are at it, I guess I might as well throw my own theory out there that I believe the drivers in the HD800 are the same as the HD 280. They are simply encased in different driver shells and painted different colors as not to arouse suspicion...  

Nov 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #1,500 of 3,438
I wouldn't pay the price moon audio is asking for the TH600...it's 300 dollars more than it should be. Why pay 999 for a $650 phone?

They'll probably try and sell the A4 for 600 too

Drew at Moon Audio said that he'll have the HP-A4 in stock within 30 days or so, and it will be selling for $499. Not shabby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back