Fostex TH-900 vs Stax SR-009
Jan 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
Jude is saying in a new video that the TH-900 is his favorite headphone of all time. It use to be the SR-009 with the WES amp. Times change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbwud5vqdHc

Does the TH-900 really compete with the SR-009? What are the opinions here, who likes SR-009 more, who likes TH-900 more?

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
Jude is saying in a new video that the TH-900 is his favorite headphone of all time. It use to be the SR-009 with the WES amp. Times change?

Does the TH-900 really compete with the SR-009? What are the opinions here, who likes SR-009 more, who likes TH-900 more?

Would you mind pointing to the point in the video where he says it's his favorite headphone of all time? I watched it fairly quickly, but must have missed it. (I heard him say a couple times that it's "one of [his] favorite headphones of all time," but of course those are significanly different assertions). I've heard both (but own neither), and think the Stax is much better.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
Would you mind pointing to the point in the video where he says it's his favorite headphone of all time? I watched it fairly quickly, but must have missed it. (I heard him say a couple times that it's "one of [his] favorite headphones of all time," but of course those are significanly different assertions). I've heard both (but own neither), and think the Stax is much better.

At 4:35, yeah I noticed he actually says "one of my favorites of all time". Still would like to have some opinions on TH-900 vs SR-009.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Quote:

At 4:35, yeah I noticed he actually says "one of my favorites of all time". Still would like to have some opinions on TH-900 vs SR-009.

These two bolded statements don't equate each other :wink:.

Anyway, I have both, and both being driven by their standard amps (the SR-009 by the SRM-727a, the TH-900 by the HP-A8). As much as I love my TH-900s, if environment permitting I'd still put on the SR-009s more. However, I do use my TH-900s quite a bit when the wife wants a little peace and quiet - or is watching TV.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Its not a contest.  The headphones use different technologies (stat vs dynamic), are made differently (open/closed) and have different design goals (bassy vs neutralish.)  Different people would prefer different models, some people can appreciate both for what they are.  Some people would find the bass of the TH900 distracting, some are distracted by the ethereal nature of the 009's.  Some people just need to be assured that they bought "the best."

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
Radio_head sums it up nicely.

Two very different headphones for different needs and tastes. They don't really compete, nor do they need to compete.

Agreed. The TH-900s are among the best closed headphones I've heard (along with the W3000ANVs). If they isolated better, I might be more tempted to pick up a pair. They are a wonderfully rich and technically proficient headphone (though quite coloured...like the ATs). The SR-009s are simply the best headphones I've heard (and FWIW, Jude's made the same comments too).

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #9 of 18
They're both flat out amazing. I've heard both on my own rigs at home at the same time and comparing the 2 is like apples and oranges. 

The 009 is about absolute transparency and detail where as the TH900 is about fun. 

They're both (again) fantastic. Now that I've sold my 009 rig (which would be my pick between the 2) and am 'downgrading' I'm seriously considering a pair of TH900s to just rock out with late at night.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
They're both flat out amazing. I've heard both on my own rigs at home at the same time and comparing the 2 is like apples and oranges. 

The 009 is about absolute transparency and detail where as the TH900 is about fun. 

They're both (again) fantastic. Now that I've sold my 009 rig (which would be my pick between the 2) and am 'downgrading' I'm seriously considering a pair of TH900s to just rock out with late at night.

The TH-900s are indeed fantastic headphones. I'm on hour 2 with them since I got home from work and I'm really enjoying what they bring to the table. But that said, the SR-009s are in a league all unto themselves. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 18
Echoing the comments made here. Having been fortunate enough to listen to TH900s and SR-009s both on the same day, it truly is an apples to oranges comparison. In fact I'd go as far as saying that among the best of the best headphones, I can't really think of another two that (although both easily among the elite) have so many differences between them, making a direct comparison almost moot.

Edit- bottom line, if you can afford to hang out in Summit-fi and actually plan purchases around the collected knowledge herein, you should own both.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
I circle thru 009s, TH900s, LCD3s, HE500s, and Grado GS1000is depending on mood and can't really decide which is best, as all have their charms and I love'm all.

Yep that's me too. The multiple headphone guy who chooses based on mood, genre, and past experience with particular songs. Too bad it's obscenely expensive to be that guy...Meanwhile my inner voice says, "Yeah, you know it's worth it 
size]
. You have an insatiable music addiction with an accompanying fetish for unusually high quality sound and can't have a speaker system anyway, because you always need your music to be loud and you know your neighbors will continue to harass you and eventually call the police. Yep, totally justified 
size]
"

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Yep that's me too. The multiple headphone guy who chooses based on mood, genre, and past experience with particular songs. Too bad it's obscenely expensive to be that guy...Meanwhile my inner voice says, "Yeah, you know it's worth it 
size]
. You have an insatiable music addiction with an accompanying fetish for unusually high quality sound and can't have a speaker system anyway, because you always need your music to be loud and you know your neighbors will continue to harass you and eventually call the police. Yep, totally justified 
size]
"

Lately, with everything settling in and stable for some time now (the better part of a year) I find myself turning to the LCD3s for the nicest overall sound, for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back