Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Feb 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #347 of 2,832
Sorry to post it again, but does anyone know of a source for the proper cotton?  I've tried everything in the stores in my area and none seem to really do it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #348 of 2,832
Quote:
Sorry to post it again, but does anyone know of a source for the proper cotton?  I've tried everything in the stores in my area and none seem to really do it.

Rite Aid "First Aid Rolled Cotton" works if prepared. See the preparation guide in Post #1 of this thread, following Graph 55.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #350 of 2,832
Quote:
Can't find that stuff either, except in 1lb rolls for more than I'm willing to pay shipped :frowning2:

pretty sure than any chain pharmacy store's first aid rolled cotton is going to be the same exact thing or very close. try cvs, walgreens, or what have you  

Feb 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #353 of 2,832
Quote:
pretty sure than any chain pharmacy store's first aid rolled cotton is going to be the same exact thing or very close. try cvs, walgreens, or what have you  

I've tried everything from the only store within 30 miles...Dollar General.

I'll eventually be in a civilized area at some point and remember to try something else from a Walgreen's or CVS.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #355 of 2,832
Quote:
This thread was infinitely helpful for my mods. Thanks.

Would anyone care to describe what adding plasticine does to the sound? OP's graph depicting it also included the felt and acoustipack.

Compare Graphs 28 and 31, or any pair of graphs using the same pads. Their FR graphs and Waterfalls are very similar. You can subtract Graph 28 from Graph 31 to see if there is an appreciable difference in their FRs. If so, this may offer some clues about the effects of Newplast, alone. The difference, however, may not exceed the "standard error of measurement."

Adding Newplast or similar putty unequivocally reduces the internal chamber volume and increases internal chamber pressure which may effect sound quality. I think adding Newplast or similar putty enhances sound quality by reducing vibration-induced distortion. The same may be said for Dynamat installed on the ear side of the baffles around the drivers. I have no "proof" but not all perceived sound effects are readily measurable. Try each both ways and let your ears be your guide.

BTW, I'm happy to hear this thread was helpful and appreciate the feedback.   
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #356 of 2,832
Quote:
How are you finding the EF2A with the T50RP?

I like it, but I have a Magni/Modi combo on the way.  Just want to try something new and from what I've read the Schiit will pair better.

I don't have a lot to compare to though.

Feb 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #357 of 2,832
I'm tempted in purchasing and modding a pair of T50RP, but I have absolutely no experience modding headphones. I'm paranoid that I'll botch it half way as DBV #3 seems to require careful, precise steps. How hard is it to mod this pair of headphones?

I'm curious, do experienced modders on head-fi sell their modding services to other members? If so, how much does it cost for the service and material to mod these to DBV #3?

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #358 of 2,832
There are... but if you're paying for shipping back and forth plus materials, you're probably going to start considering buying a premodded one (of which there are at least three makers here off the top of my head who do it commercially). 

I don't want to throw out names or prices in the interest of staying neutral, but you can find those on your own or send me a pm if you like. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #359 of 2,832
If you are careful, it's really not hard at all. The main risks are breaking the wiring (be careful removing the baffle and handling it while modding) and stripping the screws/screw holes over time. It does require a lot of work, research, and patience, though.

Feb 20, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #360 of 2,832
Thanks for the replies!

I feel that headphones being modded reflect the modder's skill, to an extent. It's possible some newbie can replicate an experienced modder's work if they had the knowledge, but not likely given the lack of experience (in terms of listening and modding).

I love to tinker with and mod things myself, but headphones are more responsive to minute changes done to it than say modding a computer case or tailoring clothes. With computers and clothes you either get them right or wrong, but with headphones you can get a whole range of varying results, sounds, and user error. At the moment, I can't risk breaking a set. If I had the time and resources, I would definitely try this myself.

These headphones get a lot of praise, especially after modding. I've looked into modding these once before a couple years ago, but actually doing so never happened. Ideally, I would end up with a (properly) modded set of T50RP that produces sound quality very similarly to headphones that cost a heck of a lot more than it. Right now, I feel paying a little bit more to get it done right, by someone else, would be the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back