Fostex T50RP Incremental Mods and Measurements
Oct 21, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,277 of 2,858
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,279 of 2,858
Thanks, I needed a chuckle! Nothing like a little modest understatement. :relieved:

Btw,sir I hope to see you at the NYC meet next month. :wink:

Yup!  See you there...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 21, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,280 of 2,858
Hey Mr. Speakers, just out of curiosity do you have anything on your Alpha Dogs or Mad Dogs that would distinguish your pairs from other people's? Like paint, branding, or maybe even internal differences(probably no to that)? I'm big into personalization of headphones.

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,282 of 2,858
  New chapter in Post #1 of this thread.

Click on --->  16b. Shure 840 Pad Modification and Measurements

HI BMF,

Thanks as always for the ongoing updates / improvements to the encyclopedia that is this thread.

I see the drop of the bass "hump"...looks like a consistent drop of the entire bass/sub-bass region.

I also noticed an unexpected new steep crevasse at about 7500 Hz. What are your thoughts about that?

thx again!

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,283 of 2,858
Another source for decent very fine cotton is vitamin/supplement bottle fillers.
Unsure if this was mentioned before at least here over various things it seems uniform and the same product.
Nice work on the updates.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #1,284 of 2,858
HI BMF,

Thanks as always for the ongoing updates / improvements to the encyclopedia that is this thread.

I see the drop of the bass "hump"...looks like a consistent drop of the entire bass/sub-bass region.

I also noticed an unexpected new steep crevasse at about 7500 Hz. What are your thoughts about that?

thx again!

This was a "one-off" quick peek of the effects of venting the pads with no tuning and no smoothing. The crevice is not absolute. I occasionally get this but it disappears by slightly repositioning the headphones and remeasuring. A narrow crevice is less of problem than a similar peak, anyway.

The take home lesson is this: Modifying the pads can help tune your overall modification scheme. By making fewer vents and/or smaller vents, the effect can be reduced, and vice versa.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,285 of 2,858
This was a "one-off" quick peek of the effects of venting the pads with no tuning and no smoothing. The crevice is not absolute. I occasionally get this but it disappears by slightly repositioning the headphones and remeasuring. 

Ahh, a positioning related item. OK, thx. 

A narrow crevice is less of problem than a similar peak, anyway.

Yes, that's been my experience too (that peaks are more of an issue). 
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,290 of 2,858
I wanted to offer a thanks to all people involved in this project. I'm not done, but I just crossed from 'OK' to "Wow!'.

I'm powering the Fostex using a tweaked Panda with 0Ohm output resistance and +3db gain. At home I use a Macbook Pro into a Gamma 1/2 DAC; at work I use an iPhone 5 into a reconfigured grubDAC. My reference headphone is a Lawton L2 Denon AHD2000.

I'm sure it has been done a thousand times before, but here is my mod history and impressions:
T50RP, Stock - Uncomfortable, sensitive to ear position, and all mid-range. Moving on...
T50RP, SRH840 pads - Pads are a touch warm, isolate well, and are much more comfortable than stock. The lows and highs start start to come in, but frequency balance is still mid-heavy.
T50RP, SRH840 pads, RiteAid cotton balls (6 per cup), 1x3mm base port, closed baffle port - Further refinement to the low/high frequencies. While the bass is not big, it is going low. The highs are playing from behind a veil. Overall decent, but the bass is not "fun" and the highs do not sparkle.
T50RP, SRH840 pads, RiteAid cotton balls (6 per cup), 1x3mm base port, closed baffle port, Silverstone in floor wells, ~10g Newplast mass loading - The Silverstone caused a severe sensitivity drop. The bass may have improved, but it is merely there. The veil over the highs is even more pronounced. Don't stay here.
T50RP, SRH840 pads, RiteAid cotton balls (6 per cup), 1x3mm base port, open baffle port, Silverstone in floor wells, ~10g Newplast mass loading - No perceptible change.
T50RP, SRH840 pads, RiteAid cotton balls (6 per cup), 1x3mm base port, open baffle port, Silverstone in floor wells, Creatology adhesive felt in top/bottom of cup, ~10g Newplast mass loading, 19mm treble reflector (shiny magazine cover), 45x52mm (w/ 4x3mm bass holes) Creatology stiffened craft felt over driver - The highs have snapped into place; the bass tight, low, and fairly balanced with the rest of the frequency range. At this point, these cans are no longer decent but quite impressive.

Aesthetic/comfort mods:
V-MODA cable - Hey, the static is gone!
MrSpeakers Leather Comfort Strap - Oh so comfortable! No more headband hotspots!

Next up:
I have Dynamat ready to go around the ear side of the drivers. I also plan on swapping the cotton balls for fiberglass/rolled cotton.

I have REW at home, as well as the Panasonic mics, however I have not built my power supply yet. Eventually I will measure my build and continue to tweak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back