Fostex or Solo
Apr 11, 2012 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Rancid Badger

New Head-Fier
Please let me start by apologising, it's my first post (post lurking post that is) & I don't doubt that this is a subject which has probably been done to death. Unfortunately the more posts I read on the subject, the more my head wants to explode!

I've decided to ditch my Sony NWZ-X as it wasn't getting much use since getting an iPhone 4s, my Fiio E7's battery will no longer hold much charge & my Klipsch Custom 3s have seen better days.

I'm pretty much decided on Westone 4Rs as replacements for my Custom 3s, but am failing miserably to make a decision on a new DAC/AMP.

As I understand it, due to Apple encrypting the digital output from iDevices, if you want an external DAC, you have two choices: Fostex HP-P1 or Algorythm Solo (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I like the idea of the HP-P1 as it seems like a nice neat self contained unit which isn't massively bulky (my main use is when riding & I don't want too much bulk in the pocket of my leathers). However, the rated run time on the battery is a shockingly poor 7hrs - is this really correct? The other being that it is iDevice only - making the whole unit redundant if I were to switch away from Apple.

Alternatively, the Alo Solo (which still only quotes 9hrs), would give me more options as to pairing it with an amp of my choice and I'd be able to use it with non-Apple products, but at the expense of bulk (iPhone+DAC+Amp= fat pocket).

So my questions are:
Which would you choose HP-P1 or Solo?
If you opt for the Alo Solo, which amp would you pair it with (I am feeling the love for Ray Samuels' amps)?
Would an Alo Solo + an Amp be much bulkier than the HP-P1?
Alternatively, do I keep the Sony NWZ-X1060 & pair it with a RSA Predator?

Once again my apologies for my first post, but I really do feel a cranial haemorrhage comming on!

All assistance will be greatly appreciated.

John

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 24
I recently had to make a similar decision. I decided to purchase the CLAS and ALO Rx MK2. I thought the Fostex looked like a great standalone solution, but the reviews and comparisons I read seemed to point to better SQ and better amp functionality from the MK2. I purchased the CLAS/ALO Rx MK2 from ALO directly and they give you a 14 day return period. So you could demo and decide after using it for a few days Good luck

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 24
I decided on the HP-P1 over the CLAS and one of the factors is the flexibility it affords.  The HP-P1 works brilliantly as a stand-alone for those times I only want to bring it and an iPod.  I already had an RSA SR71-A, which is a first rate portable amp, so I can squeeze out a little more performance by adding this to the equation.  Although the RSA is great, the amp section of the HP-P1 is no slouch either.  The mere fact that the CLAS cannot work as a stand-alone made it a less appealing option for me.  

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 24
I sympathise. This is why I'm on the lookout for a used Solo to compare to the HP-P1.
I too read the reviews around the amp section of the Fostex and couldn't disagree more with those who found it underwhelming. It compared very favourably with my PICO and Continental.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
 I purchased the CLAS/ALO Rx MK2 from ALO directly and they give you a 14 day return period. So you could demo and decide after using it for a few days Good luck

Thanks for your resply, unfortunately, living in the UK this isn't really an option for me. We don't exactly have a plethora of high end audio shops here where I can try anything before I buy, so any decision I make is really going to be a bit of a shot in the dark.

The only good thing here is that anything ordered "mailorder" falls under the "Distance Selling Regulations" which means that you can return it for a refund within 7 days. I'm just not really happy messing people about & ordering one product after another if I don't intend to keep it. I run my own business & always try to treat people the way I'd like to be treated.

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 24

Quote:
Well I've pulled the trigger on a pair of Westone 4Rs & a Fostex HP-P1  - hopefully I'm not going to regret spending £800!

Congratulations. Very nice combination to my ears -- the 4R's and DT1350's plugged into the HP-P1 are my favorites for long haul travel.The HP-P1 also makes a nice front end paired with demanding phones and a more powerful amp, so you can get a lot of mileage out of it.  The family of AKM chipsets that Fostex is currently using are excellent. I am thinking of picking up an A3 for a USB transportable/desktop setup later this year.  

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
Well I've pulled the trigger on a pair of Westone 4Rs & a Fostex HP-P1  - hopefully I'm not going to regret spending £800!

I've got a pair of 4Rs coming to try with my HP-P1 and Continental V2. I was tossing up between the 4Rs and getting the TF10s custom shelled. Not having easy access to an audiologist on Ice Station Zebra to take holds of my ears I settled on the 4Rs and may get the TF10s shelled later if I don't just opt for customs.

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 24
If you consider that any iPod and an HP1 or CLAS will get you more stable firmware and hapless playback, etc., etc., yes it will be better. The output of a CLAS for instance betters a high end CD player from in most instances, and with digital, performs better than CD quality. There is nothing at all wrong with its output.

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
Congratulations. Very nice combination to my ears -- the 4R's and DT1350's plugged into the HP-P1 are my favorites for long haul travel.The HP-P1 also makes a nice front end paired with demanding phones and a more powerful amp, so you can get a lot of mileage out of it.  The family of AKM chipsets that Fostex is currently using are excellent. I am thinking of picking up an A3 for a USB transportable/desktop setup later this year.  

My Denon AVR-4311ci has the AKM DAC's in it and I have been very pleased with their performance. Nice to see them in a portable unit as well.

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

I've got a pair of 4Rs coming to try with my HP-P1 and Continental V2. I was tossing up between the 4Rs and getting the TF10s custom shelled. Not having easy access to an audiologist on Ice Station Zebra to take holds of my ears I settled on the 4Rs and may get the TF10s shelled later if I don't just opt for customs.

IceClass, are you enjoying the Continental as a tube variation next the the Fostex as an All-in-one solution? Do you notice a power difference or simply a SS vs Tube?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
IceClass, are you enjoying the Continental as a tube variation next the the Fostex as an All-in-one solution? Do you notice a power difference or simply a SS vs Tube?

Thanks!

I'm enjoying the Continental V2 considerably.
It has both more power and a distinctly tubey sound compared to the HP-P1. I also very much like the HP-P1's amplifier output but yes, it is solid state sounding but is in my opinion highly underrated.

Jul 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

I'm enjoying the Continental V2 considerably.
It has both more power and a distinctly tubey sound compared to the HP-P1. I also very much like the HP-P1's amplifier output but yes, it is solid state sounding but is in my opinion highly underrated.

Just to make sure I understand how you connect everything. i-Device via 30 pin to HP-P1 USB Type A input, then to the Continental via the HP-P1 analog out next to the S/P Dif, then to your HP's via the Continental Headphone jack? I would love to see a picture of the portable stack!

Thanks for the feedback.   
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back