Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,081 of 2,017
  Thanks for the quick update. I went to best buy and listened to Momentum 2.0 for 10 minutes. I really liked them. The bass seems to be very solid and firm with out sacrificing mid range. I am using T50RP MK3 with out any modification.  Would you tell me what kind of modification we could in MK3 to have weightier bass?

I found a little EQing to bring the peaks in treble down darkened them up enough to bring the bass out more. This allowed me to increase volume which in-turn pushed out meatier low-end without becoming irritable in treble.

May 20, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,082 of 2,017
I came accross a sale for Beyerdynamic 770 pads, wondering if anyone knows if they would fit the T50RP.

May 20, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,083 of 2,017
Thanks for the quick update. I went to best buy and listened to Momentum 2.0 for 10 minutes. I really liked them. The bass seems to be very solid and firm with out sacrificing mid range. I am using T50RP MK3 with out any modification.  Would you tell me what kind of modification we could in MK3 to have weightier bass?

I closed 4 baffle vents and the cup vents and changed the pads to Alacantara pads. Result is a weighter sounding headphone.

May 20, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #1,084 of 2,017
Just got word Dekoni Audio is planning to release ear pads for the RP series.

May 20, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,085 of 2,017
i didnt like the t50rp mk3, liked it in the beginning, still its probably a headphone you listen to and go on, after that

the bass is too weak, even with different pads, it has clarity still mostly, many add those for an added element, to make it sound better
or for studio use

and they are hard to drive, even using a very strong amp
when you amp it neutral or to dull, it doesnt sound good

and a lot of tracks are not good mastered so, they will flaw them very often

still this is made as a studio headphone

its very analytical, and doesnt show any emotions, not satisfying

how large are the driver? 40mm or less?

May 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #1,086 of 2,017
Early results with the Fostex T-40RPMK3 are excellent. Plenty of good fast bass,nice vocals/midrange and no annoying upper frequency problems. I enjoy them in stock form and don't see a need to rush purchasing any earpads/headband cushions/cables,ect.
 They do need POWER......,maybe more than the T50/T20's according to specs. I just got finished comparing them to my Hifiman HE400's and will compare them with my Audeze LCD-2f Fazors and report later on of my results of the 3 headphones. 

May 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,087 of 2,017
So I found the treble a bit harsh on the T50RP MK3, and it became worse with my Valhalla in the mix. I ended up "fixing" this completely with EQing in foobar2000. I used the response graph below as a starting point.

As shown, there is a spike that begins around 3-5khz, and another one between 9-10khz. After several hours of experimenting I ended up with the following.

It's really simple (-2db at 2.5khz, -6db at 3.15khz, -8db at 4khz, -2db at 5khz, -5db at 10khz). That dealt with the spikes and became much more tolerable. If anyone else has this issue give these settings a try and let me know what you think. Works great for me, now I can really crank them!

Those are uncompensated measurements that show all ear-related gains of the HATS apparatus, there is supposed to be a large hump around 3 KHz (~12 dB) because that's where the main ear resonances lie, and you don't really want to cancel those because that's the way we hear everything. The other headphones in the graph actually have a large dip in there, so the mk3 revision is flatter in that area. However, the driver does produce a peak around 10 KHz of varying amplitudes depending on the earpad.

May 20, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #1,088 of 2,017
Those are uncompensated measurements that show all ear-related gains of the HATS apparatus, there is supposed to be a large hump around 3 KHz (~12 dB) because that's where the main ear resonances lie, and you don't really want to cancel those because that's the way we hear everything. The other headphones in the graph actually have a large dip in there, so the mk3 revision is flatter in that area. However, the driver does produce a peak around 10 KHz of varying amplitudes depending on the earpad.

Thanks for the input. So would you suggest I leave it all flat and just apply the adjustment to 10khz?

May 20, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #1,089 of 2,017
Tune to taste, not everyone experiences a ~15 dB gain @ ~3 KHz because of anatomical differences, keeping in mind you might be used to darker headphones. The treble peak needs to be addressed in my opinion, I'd broaden the compensation to the 8 and 12 KHz bands with the stock pads.

May 20, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,090 of 2,017
I'm not an eq fan but those deserve a generous bass boost which they can handle nicely if you have the power.
Makes them like a portable version of my audeze LCD2. Better and cheaper than the Sines.

May 21, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #1,091 of 2,017
i didnt like the t50rp mk3, liked it in the beginning, still its probably a headphone you listen to and go on, after that

the bass is too weak, even with different pads, it has clarity still mostly, many add those for an added element, to make it sound better
or for studio use

This is the exact opposite of my experience. I love my t50rp mk3!
I am driving it using a modded topping nx1 and I am really impressed with the sound.
The lows are there and clearly presented.. The mids are smooth and the highs are not harsh. These also what I felt when I auditioned it with the fostex a8c amp.

These phones are not that hard to drive actually, my nx1 can drive these using high gain @ 3 o clock volume level.
For the price, nothing is better.

May 21, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #1,092 of 2,017
This is the exact opposite of my experience. I love my t50rp mk3!
I am driving it using a modded topping nx1 and I am really impressed with the sound.
The lows are there and clearly presented.. The mids are smooth and the highs are not harsh. These also what I felt when I auditioned it with the fostex a8c amp.

These phones are not that hard to drive actually, my nx1 can drive these using high gain @ 3 o clock volume level.
For the price, nothing is better.

Just as a reference in the below $200-250 range I've heard: momentum 1 & 2, fidelio X2 and L2, grados, fad iv, beyer dt770, and I even like this more than the HD6xx

May 21, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,094 of 2,017

or for studio use

Hm. That's not my experience with it at all. They take more power than typical headphones to run, but they're not impossible to drive... you can get pretty good sound even out of a portable setup. Different strokes I guess.

Then again, I like headphones that don't color my music. If I wanted heavy bass I could have it for less money.

May 21, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #1,095 of 2,017

Hm. That's not my experience with it at all. They take more power than typical headphones to run, but they're not impossible to drive... you can get pretty good sound even out of a portable setup. Different strokes I guess.

Then again, I like headphones that don't color my music. If I wanted heavy bass I could have it for less money.

With stock MK3s there's a roll off in the lower bass frequencies, so really they're misrepresenting your music just as much as a slight boost in the lower bass would, they're just misrepresenting it in a different way, which you might prefer. There are headphones out there that offer more extension in the lower bass without necessarily being bass heavy headphones, but really it's personal preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back