Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
May 19, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #1,066 of 2,017
Anyone know if the Sure 1840 pads (HPAEC1840) would fit? For $25 I would take a chance on them. Should be better than my HM5 velour ones I think. The 1540's are just too hard to find, especially here in Canada.

May 19, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #1,067 of 2,017
  Anyone know if the Sure 1840 pads (HPAEC1840) would fit? For $25 I would take a chance on them. Should be better than my HM5 velour ones I think. The 1540's are just too hard to find, especially here in Canada.

They'll fit

May 19, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,068 of 2,017

Originally Posted by eeagle 

I am totally enjoying my T50RP mk3's, reaching for them more frequently than my HE400i's that were my first venture into planar HPs.  I think I may keep an eye out for a set of Fostex TH500RP's which should elevate the comfort level, they are said to have the same driver as the T50RP so would expect a similar sound signature that I like a lot better than the HiFiMan..

May 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,069 of 2,017

Thanks, I had seen the Z review for the TH500RP....interesting the reviewer did not try the Shure 1540 Pads recommended for the T50RP mk3 or other alternatives on the TH500RP...instead of being totally negative.  As he admits he just may have been sent a bad set;

I have seen several positive reviews for the TH500RP and in fact one comparing to the HE400i where the reviewer sold the HE400i set and kept the TH500RP

It does appear the ear to driver distance needs to as close as possible.  So far my only complaint is in the stock pad comfort, looks like the 1540 pads will pretty much make the T50RP perfect.

May 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,070 of 2,017
I think the isolation/seal of the earpad is just as important as the distance from ear to driver. The 1540 pads are actually thicker than my HM5 velour pads (also memory foam). So technically the ear would be farther away with the Shure pads. But the alcantara material is denser and isolates better than velour. Who knows maybe the foam is denser also.

May 19, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,071 of 2,017
Those are always subjective things yes, some will like them, some not. I just want to inform you in case you didn't see video. Apparently you did. I'm just not convinced, that almost same driver in better housing is worth 3x money of t50 or t20. Buyer apparently pay big premium for design and material and not so much for sound quality. Lets face it, that pretty piece of aluminium is not cheap.

May 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,072 of 2,017
  Those are always subjective things yes, some will like them, some not. I just want to inform you in case you didn't see video. Apparently you did. I'm just not convinced, that almost same driver in better housing is worth 3x money of t50 or t20. Buyer apparently pay big premium for design and material and not so much for sound quality. Lets face it, that pretty piece of aluminium is not cheap.

I agree on the cost differential.  All the bad, and so so reviews of the TH500RP have the price tumbling it was $279 for a short time a couple weeks ago which got my attention.

I am really satisfied with the T50RP mk3 ; a true bargain for sure, especially when it sounds so GOOD !

May 19, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,073 of 2,017
  I agree on the cost differential.  All the bad, and so so reviews of the TH500RP have the price tumbling it was $279 for a short time a couple weeks ago which got my attention.

I am really satisfied with the T50RP mk3 ; a true bargain for sure, especially when it sounds so GOOD !

Hmmm, at a much more attractive price than MSRP, I might be cajoled into adding TH500 into my collection, bad reviews notwithstanding. Enjoying the heck out of my T50 Mk3's, and eagerly awaiting my backordered 1540 pads for them :)

May 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,074 of 2,017
Just received the Fostex T40RPmk3 from B&H today.....WOW!!!!!!
I'm surprised at the style,quality and sound so far. I will do some  further listening/comparing to my Hifiman and Audeze cans and give a detailed report later.

May 19, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,075 of 2,017
  Just received the Fostex T40RPmk3 from B&H today.....WOW!!!!!!
I'm surprised at the style,quality and sound so far. I will do some  further listening/comparing to my Hifiman and Audeze cans and give a detailed report later.

I'm keen on hearing your comparison to your Hifiman and Audeze cans.  I have the T50RP Mk3 but curious about the closed T40RP Mk3 variant.

May 19, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #1,076 of 2,017
So I found the treble a bit harsh on the T50RP MK3, and it became worse with my Valhalla in the mix. I ended up "fixing" this completely with EQing in foobar2000. I used the response graph below as a starting point.

As shown, there is a spike that begins around 3-5khz, and another one between 9-10khz. After several hours of experimenting I ended up with the following.

It's really simple (-2db at 2.5khz, -6db at 3.15khz, -8db at 4khz, -2db at 5khz, -5db at 10khz). That dealt with the spikes and became much more tolerable. If anyone else has this issue give these settings a try and let me know what you think. Works great for me, now I can really crank them!

May 20, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #1,078 of 2,017
T50 sound is variable, depending on mods.

In stock form, it has a good sound and has a treble bite that the Momentum doesn't have. The Momentum is rolled away in the treble and has a mid bass hump with the lower bass also rolled away. It's quite mids focused and gives the impression of a weighty bass because of that hump.

The T50 in stock form at least (as I remember it) had an edge in the top that I occsionally found a bit sibilant with again, a rolled away bass.

Modded, the T50 is different. Mine now has less edge and a weightier bass, so the tonal balance has shifted down towards the bass.

I's saythat the Momentum has a smoother sound if both are stock though.

May 20, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #1,079 of 2,017
Thanks for the quick update. I went to best buy and listened to Momentum 2.0 for 10 minutes. I really liked them. The bass seems to be very solid and firm with out sacrificing mid range. I am using T50RP MK3 with out any modification.  Would you tell me what kind of modification we could in MK3 to have weightier bass?

May 20, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #1,080 of 2,017
  Thanks for the quick update. I went to best buy and listened to Momentum 2.0 for 10 minutes. I really liked them. The bass seems to be very solid and firm with out sacrificing mid range. I am using T50RP MK3 with out any modification.  Would you tell me what kind of modification we could in MK3 to have weightier bass?

Unless I'm mistaken closing the cup vents, adding the padding inside the cup, and the modeling clay will improve bass; The only problem is that closing the cups means you'll reduce the soundstage; to my ears the taped vents doesn't make a huge difference in soundstage. All those mods are outlined well here, and there's a YouTube video with a few as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back