Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Dec 9, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #511 of 2,017
I love my t40rpmk3s. Also got the TH-X00s but they're like two weeks away. My brand new Mojo is charging as we speak and the first cans I am trying are the Fostex. You're right about the pads but that's easily fixed with some Alpha Dog doughnuts

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #514 of 2,017

I found changing the jack input made a huge difference. The stock connection can be pants!

That's not simple, but I agree 120%

I'm enjoying the Mk3 so far... definitely not comfy though. I've never done any modding before, but I'm curious if there are any simple mods I could try to improve the sound.

Stuff the cups with cotton balls. Simple easy mod, h elps the Mk2s, not sure how much it will help the Mk3s. For comfort, get some shure 840 pads, super cheap and great. They will change the sound as well

I found changing the jack input made a huge difference. The stock connection can be pants!

Heh not sure if that's a "simple" mod, but oooohhhhh yes.

Fostex "made the wiring much better because many users were complaining about the stock wiring" when in fact its that freaking single socket that's awful

Dec 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #515 of 2,017
Well the angled velours arrived today finally! Took quite a bit of effort to get them on mk3 style but got there in the end. First impressions are that they have widened the soundstage nicely as expected. Comfort has drastically inproved as well of course. The sound has not been massively affected. They remain well balanced, the bass is well controlled and they are still very detailed.
All I need to make these perfect is a bit more impact in the bass and a bit less treble which can be a little sibilant on some tracks. Has anyone got any advice on how I could achieve this?

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #516 of 2,017
All I need to make these perfect is a bit more impact in the bass and a bit less treble which can be a little sibilant on some tracks. Has anyone got any advice on how I could achieve this?

Seal the baffle vents for more bass (below the foam), you can use one or more 'plys' of toilet paper, craft felt, wool felt over the driver to tame the treble, you can also block the center square of the driver with foamie, dense felt, akasa paxmate, etc...

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #518 of 2,017

Hi, You can do it yourself, you just need to be careful when soldering. Or, you can do what I did and send it to a guy who did it for me; I had mini xlr connectors fitted in each cup with a new braided cable.

If you are going to be brave, follow the instructions on the T50rp modding thread.

Good luck

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #519 of 2,017

Hi, You can do it yourself, you just need to be careful when soldering. Or, you can do what I did and send it to a guy who did it for me; I had mini xlr connectors fitted in each cup with a new braided cable.

If you are going to be brave, follow the instructions on the T50rp modding thread.

Good luck

I don't think I could solder it myself, shaky hands and I live in an apartment. There's a place near where I live that does headphone repairs so I'll check with them.

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #520 of 2,017
I don't think I could solder it myself, shaky hands and I live in an apartment. There's a place near where I live that does headphone repairs so I'll check with them.

It's not so hard, you don't need to be a surgeon, the pads are quiet big. But yeah it's hella nerve racking.

Shouldnt be to expencive 3rd party, I hope. It's fairly simple to do, Esspecially if yo provide the wire and plugs and such

I went with magomi w2799 cable. (Casper reccomendation) cheap good, 4 wires.

RadioShack 1/4 connector for the amp end, and dual entry using RadioShack 3.5mm mono jack and plugs. Like $20 in total heh.

If you have a bit more money go with some mini xlr's or something, I wouldn't reccomend a mono plug again.

There's tons of people documenting cable making and cable modding the t50s on the forums

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #521 of 2,017
New Fostex dynamic HP are coming soon!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/790970/new-fostex-tr-70-tr-80-tr-80#post_12156768

Users who are viewing this thread

Back