Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Nov 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #466 of 2,017

G'luck and love to read your impressions.

Well....I don't have a screwdriver small enough to reach the screws that are sunk in...So I'll get one tomorrow and get to modding after class
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #468 of 2,017
In progress now. Brought the sub bass up but still not to ideal level. Somewhat darker sounding but less harsh as well. Still surprisingly very detailed.

Okay, done modding at least for tonight. 8 small squares of sorbothane in each cup. One small cotton ball pulled apart and placed in each cup. Stiffened felt stuck on top of the ear side foam. Impact / tightness so much better in the bass now. The treble is a bit dark, but I find it just about on par detail wise with my HE400's. Something bumped up the mids, I'm not quite sure why but vocals, especially male, seem a little more prominent than instruments. I tried stuffing cotton under the pads to give them some thickness but that turned out to make the mids sound very thin. Back to stock pads. Amp used was my vintage Pioneer SX 990 on an NAD CD player.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #469 of 2,017
I have found that the source can have a rather significant impact on how these things sound.  Some sources sound a bit thin, and others are bass heavy.  Tuning these things can be a challenge for this reason, if nothing else.

When tuning the mods for one source... have to be careful not to ruin it for others!

IBJamon

Nov 25, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #471 of 2,017
I used my modded HE400's as a reference. After mods, they sound fairly similar. The 400 still has better subbass extension but the mk3 is so much tighter than before. The 400 is certainly brighter up top but I am still able to hear subtleties in the songs I used as references in the mk3 (Hotel California, Get Lucky, Money for Nothing, a few others). Overall, the 400 has a lot better air / instrument separation and better subbass extension / impact down low. However, I like the mk3 so much so for the price that letting the 400 go to clear up funds for Christmas presents won't be as hard as I thought. I apologize if I seem kind of amateur at this, as I pretty much am. I went by my ears alone with no measurement rig so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Nov 25, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #472 of 2,017
I used my modded HE400's as a reference. After mods, they sound fairly similar. The 400 still has better subbass extension but the mk3 is so much tighter than before. The 400 is certainly brighter up top but I am still able to hear subtleties in the songs I used as references in the mk3 (Hotel California, Get Lucky, Money for Nothing, a few others). Overall, the 400 has a lot better air / instrument separation and better subbass extension / impact down low. However, I like the mk3 so much so for the price that letting the 400 go to clear up funds for Christmas presents won't be as hard as I thought. I apologize if I seem kind of amateur at this, as I pretty much am. I went by my ears alone with no measurement rig so take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Good points.

I'm betting most of the differences are due to the 400's being fully open vs. the mk3 (unless you're speaking of the t20rp). Seems the trend is fully open will always have more air, sub-bass, etc. 

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #473 of 2,017
It's really easy to open up the T50s to make them like T20s... I've had mostly good luck with that so far; just leave that bottom part untouched.  Since the 'bass reflex' opening is on the top, you can easily optimize for that while leaving the bottom open.  Seems to work for me anyway.  (Again, not measured, etc.)

IBJamon

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #475 of 2,017
Good points.

I'm betting most of the differences are due to the 400's being fully open vs. the mk3 (unless you're speaking of the t20rp). Seems the trend is fully open will always have more air, sub-bass, etc. 

Yes, I'm sure that's the case. I find it odd how much of a difference having thicker pads makes. Maybe it was just the material (cotton) that I stuffed underneath the pads but it sucked out the mids. Overall, I'm really happy with how the sound from a powerful amp.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #476 of 2,017
Just tried these straight outof my old faithful Sony NW HD5 and on high volumes it drives these quite well. Good to know these can be considered a portable solution without amplification with a suitably powerful source.

Nov 27, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #479 of 2,017
try DeOxit wipes or spray... or if you can't find that some electronics contact cleaner for the TRS end.

I try to leave some slight amounts of spray on the end then put it in and out of the  socket also to get those contact spots too.

Or get a Vmoda aftermarket cable....

Nov 27, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #480 of 2,017
Don't feel like creating a new thread for this quick question, so I'm going to ask it here.
How are these unmodded or with Shure/Beyer pads?
And should I just follow the guides for the MKII?
Going to drive them with E07K, and thought of getting the FiiO X1 as well.

note: These look so cool :3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back