Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Nov 2, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #331 of 2,017
The stock pads are too thin and uncomfortable for me (I wear glasses and they press my ears against the frames), so I'm using an extra set of ZMF Cowhide pads that came with my ZMF Blackwoods. They're very similar to MrSpeakers Alpha Pads.

The obvious difference between how the pads go on the Mk3 compared to the Mk2 is the pads slot into a gap between the baffle and the cup. What isn't so obvious is that the foam pad on ear side of the baffle also vents out to this gap. If you take the foam pad out and look outwards "parallel" with the baffle, you'll see 8 vents in all for directions. So wrapping pads over this gap "Mk2-style" will effectively block these vents and drastically change the sound signature, in addition to whatever the pads themselves would do (in my experience, huge bass bloat and midrange weirdness). Inserting the rims of the pads into the gap may or may not allow the same venting as the stock pads as this will depend on the thickness of the pad rims.

Since I really want to use these pads, I played around with some damping inside the cups using teased out cotton balls. For me, about 4 small balls laid out inside the cup was enough to compensate for the effect of covering the front baffle "side vents" with the ZMF pads. The highs were also boosted (by the pads and/or covering the vents - I don't know), so 3 layers of 2-ply Kirklands TP over the front of the drivers got the sound pretty much back to stock, but with the super comfy feel of the ZMF pads.

Another difference I found between the Mk3 and Mk2 is the baffle port construction. The Mk2 has a hole at one corner of the driver going through to the back. The Mk3 has 4 holes at the top and bottom with felt covering them on the back side of the baffle. You can see the holes from the ear side the same way you can see the front baffle "side vents" as I described above. Restricting the flow through these ports should increase bass response. I will try inserting some felt circles from the outside of the baffle or taping one of them off to see if I can get some sub-bass increase without affecting mid-bass and mid-range too much, as I like the sound of those as they are.

Felt covering the baffle ports. Photo by JK-47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #333 of 2,017
Has anyone tried the T40RP mk3's yet ? 
My trusty M50's are falling apart and I need something closed/isolating.  

I bought a pair of PM-3's last week and I absolutely love them - to the point where I am not willing to leave them in the office all the time. 

Nov 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #334 of 2,017
ZMF pads have arrived and have been fitted.........and the T50's now sound so smooth. I have had to turn up the volume, they certainly need more poke, but the seal and comfort is now fantastic. They are the angled pads and they form a really solid seal around my medium to large size ears, the extra distance from the ear canal adds a little bass at first, but with longer listening it starts to reveal itself as the recorded sound, if that makes sense.

Nov 3, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #335 of 2,017
  ZMF pads have arrived and have been fitted.........and the T50's now sound so smooth. I have had to turn up the volume, they certainly need more poke, but the seal and comfort is now fantastic. They are the angled pads and they form a really solid seal around my medium to large size ears, the extra distance from the ear canal adds a little bass at first, but with longer listening it starts to reveal itself as the recorded sound, if that makes sense.

This very interesting feedback! Did you see any changes in the mid-range? That is my biggest worry with pad change. I suspect they are much more comfortable than the stock ...
wink_face.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #337 of 2,017
  Anybody using 50mkIII with the iFi iDSD Micro?

Sounds fine out of the micro iDSD (and also the iDAC2), as does my ZMF Blackwood with the Mk2 drivers. Plenty of power to drive them. The XBass feature is helpful in compensating for the sub-bass roll off.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2015-showstopper-fostex-t50rp-t40rp-and-t20rp-mk3-line-refresh

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews/13009

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #338 of 2,017
  This very interesting feedback! Did you see any changes in the mid-range? That is my biggest worry with pad change. I suspect they are much more comfortable than the stock ...
wink_face.gif

Thank you. Straight away there was a huge difference in perceived sq until I adjusted the volume upwards to compensate for the new pads. Once I found the sweet spot volume wise, I use an iFi stack as my home office rig, they began to fly. I began to listen to Bonnie Raitt to check for the mids, her voice really sounds great to my ears in that mid section and her slide playing tends to be mid to highs. I then spun up Dylan's "Blood on the tracks", which is one of my reference albums and the headphones took my breath away. With the mods to date I have spent less than 400 pounds sterling, and yet I feel I have a set of premium headphones that are tuned to my ears; I am very happy with the results...........so far!

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #339 of 2,017

Thank you. Straight away there was a huge difference in perceived sq until I adjusted the volume upwards to compensate for the new pads. Once I found the sweet spot volume wise, I use an iFi stack as my home office rig, they began to fly. I began to listen to Bonnie Raitt to check for the mids, her voice really sounds great to my ears in that mid section and her slide playing tends to be mid to highs. I then spun up Dylan's "Blood on the tracks", which is one of my reference albums and the headphones took my breath away. With the mods to date I have spent less than 400 pounds sterling, and yet I feel I have a set of premium headphones that are tuned to my ears; I am very happy with the results...........so far!

Rearwing, you mention "mods" can you elaborate if you have done other than the pads? I am really looking in getting my first planar experience and these seems to be a good entry door.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #340 of 2,017
  Rearwing, you mention "mods" can you elaborate if you have done other than the pads? I am really looking in getting my first planar experience and these seems to be a good entry door.

Hi, I had the recabling done almost straight away, I didn't like the slot and turn method at all and found that there could be signal dropout if I moved my head in a certain way. I sent them to have a new low microphonic cable with mini xlr jacks and entry at both sides (the pics are further back in this thread), at the same time they were lined with acoustic dampening mat, and repainted in a subtle dark blue.

With these mods and the new pads they are absolutely fantastic.

Nov 4, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #341 of 2,017
Hi, I had the recabling done almost straight away, I didn't like the slot and turn method at all and found that there could be signal dropout if I moved my head in a certain way. I sent them to have a new low microphonic cable with mini xlr jacks and entry at both sides (the pics are further back in this thread), at the same time they were lined with acoustic dampening mat, and repainted in a subtle dark blue.

With these mods and the new pads they are absolutely fantastic.

Yep, the socket on my mk2s is terribad. If I have it plug in slightly differently, or I move a bit, an ear loses volume or drops out

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #342 of 2,017
Adding a mini-XLR socket is not that difficult (if you have a steady hand). See my mods at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10995#post_11321413

I went for a balanced cable, but you could use a single socket if you prefer.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #343 of 2,017
Adding a mini-XLR socket is not that difficult (if you have a steady hand). See my mods at:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/452404/just-listened-to-some-fostex-t50rps-today-wow/10995#post_11321413

I went for a balanced cable, but you could use a single socket if you prefer.

I have some cheap mono-phone 3.5mm jacks for each ear, the cables are separate, then connect at the 1/4" jack.

So dual entry, and separate grounds (up until the jack anyways).

Cost maybe $20 to do including a custom cable with braided cover

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #344 of 2,017
I've read through the thread and didn't notice if anyone had really answered this so I'll just ask...

Given a choice between:
T50RP II at $99
or
T50RP III at $150

and assuming that the mkII would need full mods and the MkIII would at least need different pads, which one would you buy and why?

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #345 of 2,017
I've read through the thread and didn't notice if anyone had really answered this so I'll just ask...

Given a choice between:
T50RP II at $99
or
T50RP III at $150

and assuming that the mkII would need full mods and the MkIII would at least need different pads, which one would you buy and why?

Thanks.

The real difference here is stock performance. MKIII in every aspect, from bass presence and extension, to the strong in your face mids and cleaner more extended treble, performs better than the MKII. Contributing to this preference is the better headband, better earpads (and earpads ridge for putting on other earpads and for aesthetic reasons), and overall slightly more modern and sleek looks and feels of the new MKIII.

Now, once you involve mods, and I own a few MKII and one MKIII T50RP, it's a different story. I hate the stock cable attachment. Also, my personal experience so far is that the MKII was easier to mod. Perhaps I'm just used to the enclosure and what can be done with it more. MKIII has much better driver matching and better driver dampening on its back though.

My belief is that Fostex wanted to release a budget product that could stand on its own, and compete with the mid-fi budget category, while still letting newcomers try planar magnetic headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back