Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Nov 6, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #346 of 2,017

I've read through the thread and didn't notice if anyone had really answered this so I'll just ask...

Given a choice between:
T50RP II at $99
or
T50RP III at $150

and assuming that the mkII would need full mods and the MkIII would at least need different pads, which one would you buy and why?

Thanks.

The real difference here is stock performance. MKIII in every aspect, from bass presence and extension, to the strong in your face mids and cleaner more extended treble, performs better than the MKII. Contributing to this preference is the better headband, better earpads (and earpads ridge for putting on other earpads and for aesthetic reasons), and overall slightly more modern and sleek looks and feels of the new MKIII.

Now, once you involve mods, and I own a few MKII and one MKIII T50RP, it's a different story. I hate the stock cable attachment. Also, my personal experience so far is that the MKII was easier to mod. Perhaps I'm just used to the enclosure and what can be done with it more. MKIII has much better driver matching and better driver dampening on its back though.

My belief is that Fostex wanted to release a budget product that could stand on its own, and compete with the mid-fi budget category, while still letting newcomers try planar magnetic headphones.

Thanks for the info. I thought I'd ask since the MKIIs are cheap and will be gone soon. I'll probably check out the MkIIs, but I have other things to spend my money on, so I'll probably lurk for a few more months while you guys figure out all the trick mods for the new version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #347 of 2,017
I am absolutely loving my modified mk2's right now so much so that I sold most of my other kit. I've just ordered a pair of the mk3's after reading this thread and am really excited for how good they might be with a few tweaks.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #348 of 2,017
Received my mk3s today from Scan. What an amazing pair of cans for £115! My other headphones are the Sennheiser HD580 and Grado SR60. Both bought in the late 1990s. I'm quite amazed at how well the T50RP mk3 compares to the HD580. 

Quote:
I am absolutely loving my modified mk2's right now so much so that I sold most of my other kit. I've just ordered a pair of the mk3's after reading this thread and am really excited for how good they might be with a few tweaks.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #349 of 2,017
Hi,
I have had the mk3 for a few weeks now and really enjoy the sound.

I do want to change out the stock pads for Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads and was hoping there would be a few brave souls that have already done this and could offer advice over what I would probably have to alter to fix the sq after adding the Alpha Pads.

Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #350 of 2,017
Hi,
I have had the mk3 for a few weeks now and really enjoy the sound.

I do want to change out the stock pads for Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads and was hoping there would be a few brave souls that have already done this and could offer advice over what I would probably have to alter to fix the sq after adding the Alpha Pads.

Any advice?

Thanks so much!

As soon as mine arrive I'll be trying them with HM5 pads which I already have on my mk2's. I think from what I've read in this thread it might overblow the bass but will definitely post back with my findings after they arrive.

Nov 11, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #351 of 2,017
Anyone know how these compare with Oppo PM3? I'm thinking about buying them for office use, intending to leave them there permanently. Pretty annoying having to take the Oppos out of the case every day...

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #352 of 2,017
With the Alpha pads, bass will be more pronounced but taping over the vents in the cup will bring it down. Also mounting the Alpha pads over the cups mkII style rather than in the mkIII slits seems to tame the bass slightly too. Add a touch of cotton dampening and you will almost have a Mad Dog for 2/3 the price.

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #353 of 2,017
Anyone know how these compare with Oppo PM3? I'm thinking about buying them for office use, intending to leave them there permanently. Pretty annoying having to take the Oppos out of the case every day...

The PM-3 is MUCH easier to drive than the mk3 but the soundstage is not as good as the mk3 (at least for the semi-open t50rp I have). I would also say the PM-3's bass quality is a bit better (and more neutral) but its hard to do an A/B comparison when the power requirements are so different.

Nov 11, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #354 of 2,017
Thanks mate. Using a Soundblaster E5 good for 600 ohms to drive headphones so that's not a problem. Good to hear sq is comparable. Will have to go for the closed units though as the office is very quiet and Meshuggah too loud

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #356 of 2,017
E5 has the HIGH GAIN Setting - 300Ω - 600Ω (GAIN: UP TO 15 dB). From what I know, Mk3s are nowhere near that hard to drive to trouble that sort of gain level. What are they rated, 50 ohms?
http://au.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e5
Anyway, we'll find out in a week or so. Just ordered the closed version in UK at Juno. $221 AUD delivered is an absolute steal.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #357 of 2,017
  E5 has the HIGH GAIN Setting - 300Ω - 600Ω (GAIN: UP TO 15 dB). From what I know, Mk3s are nowhere near that hard to drive to trouble that sort of gain level. What are they rated, 50 ohms?
http://au.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e5
Anyway, we'll find out in a week or so. Just ordered the closed version in UK at Juno. $221 AUD delivered is an absolute steal.

50 ohms yes, but the sensitivity is low. They require power, not high gain to drive them to their full potential.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #359 of 2,017
  Also got a Fiio X3 II. Would that drive them properly?

Not even close. I wouldn't really reccomend them as a portable headphone, maybe a Cayin C5 on hi gain as a minumum...

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #360 of 2,017
Don't think there's reason for concern. E5 is driving Hifiman HE5-LE just fine so can't see it struggle with the Mk3s.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/732171/creative-sound-blaster-e5-headphone-amp-usb-dac-with-otg-toslink-aptx-recording-more/210

Users who are viewing this thread

Back