Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Nov 26, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #181 of 1,448

Quote:
Got my HP-P1 and it charges my iPod Nano (shows charging when plugged to HP-P1).Finally a great on the go rig!
I like the sound of Earsonics SM3 through this, very detailed. Couldnt listen to it through the HM602

Cool, could I please ask what firmware/hardware versions your HP-P1's on?

Cheers

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #182 of 1,448

Quote:
Hi everybody, 

All right at this point. It's been weeks and I still haven't plugged in my ipod into anything other the Hpp1. So I don't care what the literature says, it's charging the iPod. When everything's on battery, the iPod battery goes down, significantly if I use wifi. But, when I plug in the Fostex, the ipod charges back up too. I haven't updated the firmware. I contacted Fostex and the say it hasn't been released yet publicly and when it is it will take an authorized site to flash the unit. Right now I'm at:

firmware 1.1.0
hardware 1.1.2

Hope that helps. 

Same here...

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #183 of 1,448
My iPod Nano shows the HP-P01  version as  1.1.0

I am very happy with this feature as  I may be able to use the HP-P01 to recharge my iPod several times during long flights. I almost bought an external battery during my last flight.

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #185 of 1,448
Hi, 

Not to dampen the euphoria, but I feel I should offer a couple quick caveats. 

1) The HPP1 does not act like a charger exactly. It keeps the ipod "topped off." I think if the ipod gets too low, I'm not sure if the HPP1 can charge it. Others maybe can chime in with their experience. 

2) This ability to "top off the ipod" has its pluses and minuses. The positive is that you only have to plug in one device essentially. I love that. The negative is that the HPP1 has to now power both the ipod and itself, where, fully mobile, it would be better to have the ipod power the ipod and the HPP1 power itself, gaining the full storage capacity of both batteries.

You only have to plug in one cord, but "off-cord" you'll run down the HPP1 faster (and battery life is not that great to begin with). Then you have an ipod that was kept fully charged but the HPP1 is dead. That might be what some of you want, but going from the HPP1 to just the ipod on a long flight is... disappointing. 

In the end, I'll still take it, but wanted to make sure you had all the facts.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #186 of 1,448

The top off aspect mentioned above is an interesting and important one.  I noticed that when I left my iPod Touch plugged into the HP-P1 and neither had been used for about a week, the battery on the iPod drained as it normally would have- about half-way.  When I started to use the combo, the iPod would charge very slowly- less than one 'bar' or segment an hour.  (Note: When I first turned the HP-P1 on, the battery indicator flashed the 'charging' sign for about a second and then went back to the normal usage indicator.)  The iPod did not charge at the same rate as it would have if it were plugged into a powered USB jack.  This trickle charging is good for keeping the iPod 'alive' and then some; but keep in mind the HP-P1 will still drain at its normal rate plus whatever extra power it is using to trickle charge the iPod.

All of this leads me to believe two things (so far):

1) The HP-P1 effectively trickle charges the iPod when the two are being used together or when the HP-P1 is turned on.

2) Fostex also managed to lower the power consumption of the iPod when it is used in the USB digital output mode.  This is a big 'maybe' and purely a guess on my part.  Without knowing exactly what the drainage is on the HP-P1 as a result of this trickle charging, it could well be that the HP-P1 is just supplying the extra power that the iPod is using in this mode, plus a little bit more.  So instead of gained efficiency in it's operation, all we are seeing is the HP-P1 taking over the powering duties of the iPod with no actual gain in overall efficiency(?).  In either case, the end result would seem to be almost the same until we find out just how much impact this has on the runtime of the HP-P1.

So as a traveler being away from power, this whole thing would really have little benefit unless you forgot to charge your iPod but had a fully charged HP-P1.  No matter how you look at it, the combo will only run ~7-8 hours, and once the HP-P1 is dead it will no longer be able to charge the iPod.  The upside is that if you started with both units fully charged, you could run the HP-P1 until it dies and then go iPod only for the 30-40 hours that you would normally get out of it; whereas before the iPod would be close to dead at the same time as the HP-P1.  As a desktop user (me), this is just perfect.  If anything, it means that I might have to purposely drain the iPod a few times a year to keep it's battery from going dead.  However you look at this, it's definitely a plus over the way it was and over the CLAS- unless it also happens to do the same thing now and I am not aware of it.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #187 of 1,448
I have a 90min (max) commute each way to work, the 3-4 days a week I'm in, and do a 12 hour day there. When I'm doing nights or weekends, I'll probably be able to get away with listening to stuff, and given I have access to plugs at work, it seems like I'd be able to listen to the HP-P1 from waking to sleeping, rather than for the 7-8 hours. That would be a huge plus and something you can't do with the CLAS, currently.

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #191 of 1,448
A challenger appears! http://www.head-fi.org/t/583448/ibasso-dx100-reference-dap-es9018-inside/30

Quote:
I have a 90min (max) commute each way to work, the 3-4 days a week I'm in, and do a 12 hour day there. When I'm doing nights or weekends, I'll probably be able to get away with listening to stuff, and given I have access to plugs at work, it seems like I'd be able to listen to the HP-P1 from waking to sleeping, rather than for the 7-8 hours. That would be a huge plus and something you can't do with the CLAS, currently.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #192 of 1,448

Quote:
Hi, 

Not to dampen the euphoria, but I feel I should offer a couple quick caveats. 

1) The HPP1 does not act like a charger exactly. It keeps the ipod "topped off." I think if the ipod gets too low, I'm not sure if the HPP1 can charge it. Others maybe can chime in with their experience. 

2) This ability to "top off the ipod" has its pluses and minuses. The positive is that you only have to plug in one device essentially. I love that. The negative is that the HPP1 has to now power both the ipod and itself, where, fully mobile, it would be better to have the ipod power the ipod and the HPP1 power itself, gaining the full storage capacity of both batteries.

You only have to plug in one cord, but "off-cord" you'll run down the HPP1 faster (and battery life is not that great to begin with). Then you have an ipod that was kept fully charged but the HPP1 is dead. That might be what some of you want, but going from the HPP1 to just the ipod on a long flight is... disappointing. 

In the end, I'll still take it, but wanted to make sure you had all the facts.

It tops off my iPod Nano 2010 model pretty fast.Must be that the two batteries level off when connected.  I guess it can do so several times before the HP-P01 drains off completely, probably as the iPod nano battery consumes/stores less power than a touch/iPhone due to smaller size.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #193 of 1,448
question about the Fostex and the iPod...

I have an older "regular" 80GB iPod and it works with the Fostex in that it sends digital audio out the USB to the d/a of the Fostex and makes (nice) music. The problem is that when the Fostex USB is connected, my iPod's interface is disabled so that it just "keeps playing" whatever song/playlist was playing before the Fostex was turned on. Not exactly ideal for on-the-go portable music while your jogging where you'd naturally like to skip a track or two or repeat a favorite etc.

Is this a problem because of the age of my iPod? Are the newer iPods explicitly supported (classic?) able to keep their interfaces active while the Fostex is connected and turned on so that the iPod can be used normally to select playlists/songs etc.?

Thanks!

-dave

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #194 of 1,448

Quote:
question about the Fostex and the iPod...

I have an older "regular" 80GB iPod and it works with the Fostex in that it sends digital audio out the USB to the d/a of the Fostex and makes (nice) music. The problem is that when the Fostex USB is connected, my iPod's interface is disabled so that it just "keeps playing" whatever song/playlist was playing before the Fostex was turned on. Not exactly ideal for on-the-go portable music while your jogging where you'd naturally like to skip a track or two or repeat a favorite etc.

Is this a problem because of the age of my iPod? Are the newer iPods explicitly supported (classic?) able to keep their interfaces active while the Fostex is connected and turned on so that the iPod can be used normally to select playlists/songs etc.?

Thanks!

-dave

AFAIUI, you are using an iPod Video, either 5 or 5.5G. The Fostex HP-P1 is fully compatible only with the iPod Classic (6 & 7G), iTouch & iPhone.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #195 of 1,448
Well, what are Christmas Bonuses for?

Just treated myself to an iPod classic (silver). Now I'm in absolute heaven... sumptuous, high-fidelity music *and* the ability to skip songs and playlists. Joy.

Listening right now on my (actually surprisingly decent) Sony earbuds.

WOW. I'm in awe of what this Fostex/iPod combo can do. Finally my years of compression all my music losslessly is paying off, and the thing I've been dreaming about for years... portable high-end d/a conversion/amplification for on-the-go listening is in the palm of my hand.

Ok folks, what's next? What headphones should I be considering to audition to really get the most out of this?

By the way on the earbuds I hear *obvious* differences between filter 1 and 2 on the d/a section. Filter 1 sounds a little brighter, a little more colorful with a tad more "bite", but also there's a sibilant edge to many female vocals... the usual "digital audio" sound many of us are used to. But filter 2, while slightly tamer and more laid-back (at first can sound a little less invigorating) really opens up with natural, non-fatiguing vocals that have no sibilance or "ring" and just sound smooth and silky. The difference is subtle, but obvious, and one that makes a difference with any listening session lasting longer than 5 minutes.

Ready for some headphone suggestions folks. Oh, and keep in mind I want to use the Fostex as the amp section... no need for suggesting high-end phones that need beefy desktop amplification (or another amp). Also, I'd like to jog with the headphones, so they need to be light enough to work with jogging (had a pair of Grado 80's which were ok for jogging IMO, if that gives you an idea of how big is probably at the upper limit).

thanks!

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back