Fostex HP-P1 Portable Amplifier and DAC for iPod/iPhone (Short REVIEW and Impressions Thread)
Jun 19, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #511 of 1,448
Has anyone had a chance to compare the HP-P1 to the V-Moda Vamp?

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #513 of 1,448
Quote:
VAMP's probably too new for anyone to have a good impression?

The VAmp is primarily a VentureCraft Go-DAP with OPA1612 OpAmp, 2200mAh battery, and a slight change to the ASR feature to V-Moda's V-Tune.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #516 of 1,448
Well I had a quick listen and switch from the piccolino to the stock fostex (and back again, and back again) and there is definitely a quite sizeable difference in body and clarity.

i was going to get (two) a copper usb/lod and a silver usb-lod (cheaper but not cheap), but decided to go the whole hog for a piccolino and be done with it, or I would always wonder about the piccolino.

I am very happy with my new cable.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #517 of 1,448
haha, love the Patrick82 image, I wonder if he knows exactly how much that meme gets around these forums.

what a legend

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #518 of 1,448
Lol, yeah definitely noticed enhancements with the LOD but I am skeptical that there is anymore improvement between the silver one over piccolino... *ducks for cover*

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #519 of 1,448
Just got my hp p1 unit from a normal electronic store in Japan ( vacation here). Also got Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii from the same store - rumored to be the best compatible headphone in the market, with 70 ohm imp. Has tried the Beyer dt1350 with 80 ohm in the store, not impressed though. What I also bought was the iPod classic 160GB, on the same day, to make a whole set. I was most impressed, however by the quality of the iPod unit with the HD25 directly, compared with the SQ from the Fostex. When my partner did a blind test with me, iPod + HD25 and iPod + HD 25 + Fostex ( source was wav files ripped from albums "stripped", "american life"), I could tell that the Fostex won the test by a more powerful, balanced, clearer and "rounder" sound.

Have seen in the store of a dock cable made by Alo, priced at 26,000 JPY (330 USD)! Another was at 10000 JPY (125 USD), by Carbon cable. Not sure whether the SQ by using those two will be sig. better... Anyone has experience with those?

P.s.

Have iBasso D12 at home. Can't wait to get home to compare the new set with the old iBasso D12 + iPod video (rockboxed).

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #520 of 1,448
Quote:
Lol, yeah definitely noticed enhancements with the LOD but I am skeptical that there is anymore improvement between the silver one over piccolino... *ducks for cover*

this helps you sleep at night?
wink_face.gif

nah I cant and wouldnt claim one, havent heard the fostex with any of my cables, let alone spotted a specific difference between 2 upgraded OTT ones. i'll leave that for you guys. hopefully i'll get to hear the fostex at the upcoming meets; you going to be at the Sydney meet Lillie?

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #521 of 1,448
Quote:

this helps you sleep at night?
wink_face.gif

nah I cant and wouldnt claim one, havent heard the fostex with any of my cables, let alone spotted a specific difference between 2 upgraded OTT ones. i'll leave that for you guys. hopefully i'll get to hear the fostex at the upcoming meets; you going to be at the Sydney meet Lillie?

By silver I meant your cable Qusp. Isn't it silver? Let me rephrase to be clear:

I noticed definite improvement using Qusp's aftermarket cable compared to the stock cable, but I am skeptical that there is a big difference between Qusp's regular silver(?) cable that he made for me or his Piccolino cable.

That is what I meant. Duck for cover was referring to avoiding the "cables make a difference for digital output" debate.

What Sydney meet???

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #523 of 1,448
Quote:
Have seen in the store of a dock cable made by Alo, priced at 26,000 JPY (330 USD)! Another was at 10000 JPY (125 USD), by Carbon cable. Not sure whether the SQ by using those two will be sig. better... Anyone has experience with those?

I haven't tried those.

I got one of the custom cables at Amazon Japan (look up thread) and it's worked well for me.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #524 of 1,448
Before spending some big money check out Moon Audio's IEM Silver Dragon doc to usb that I used for my HP-P1. I thought it was a great value and gets away from the stock cable which has been known to produce some volume imbalance.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #525 of 1,448
ha ha, I know your all jealous of my piccolino cable..... *ducks for cover also*.... and are now wondering,...
...`should I have spent more cash?-maybe it does sound magically awesome`, or more likely `look at that stupid guy spending all that cash on a cable`.

atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back