Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Jul 20, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #316 of 479
Three questions about "Amp Gain".

- When you put the output to direct mode (fixed output), does amp gain influence the volume level? Can't test that myself at the moment.

- In your opinion, does amp gain have a negative impact on SQ?

- Again in your opinion, how does the amp sound different if you use more amp gain and less volume control?

Jul 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #317 of 479
  Three questions about "Amp Gain".

- When you put the output to direct mode (fixed output), does amp gain influence the volume level? Can't test that myself at the moment.

- In your opinion, does amp gain have a negative impact on SQ?

- Again in your opinion, how does the amp sound different if you use more amp gain and less volume control?

first, why cant you test it, do you not have one. This will answer your own question with one playing with the amp gain.

does amp gain effect quality, NO

Yes it does sound different and will pertain to the genres of music you prefer and your own tastes. The higher the amp gain the more forward the sound imaging and with th900 will let the base rip a bit. I prefer higher gain, while say a classical listener with full orchestra may like it back a bit to present more distinct sound acuity at the instrument level.....

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #318 of 479
  first, why cant you test it, do you not have one. This will answer your own question with one playing with the amp gain.

does amp gain effect quality, NO

Yes it does sound different and will pertain to the genres of music you prefer and your own tastes. The higher the amp gain the more forward the sound imaging and with th900 will let the base rip a bit. I prefer higher gain, while say a classical listener with full orchestra may like it back a bit to present more distinct sound acuity at the instrument level.....

Yep I have  the HP-A8 but just sold my speaker amp two weeks ago and am waiting for the new one to arrive, which is why I can't test it and why I asked it here.

My opinion on how the amp gain affects the sound is similar to yours if I understand correctly though I'd word it differently.
Increasing the amp gain seems to define the bass less, make it bloated.
It also reduces the soundstage for me even without taking classical music into account.
This is only after a few nights of listening with only the TH-900 though, so given some time and burn-in my opinion might be tweaked somewhat.
But for now amp gain remains at a strict 0db for me as reducing soundstage and bloating bass is a loss in SQ IMO.
Without it though the TH-900 + HP-A8 combo sounds really right to me, something I had been missing for a while.
Still, I wouldn't mind other opinions on how people perceive the effect amp gain on the HP-A8 has.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #320 of 479
Out of curiosity, how high do you guys have to crank up the volume?

I know this depends on a lot of parameters but here's what I'm doing:

USB input from a Mac (iTunes with BitPerfect), no volume used in software (iTunes, BP or AM Setup), no volume equalization between tracks as well, everything off thus.
No amp gain and low impedance cans (TH-900). I do like to listen loud.
I have to crank up the volume between -20db and -10db.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #322 of 479
Tried -30db for an hour or so but I feel I do need a bit more volume, certainly for rock/hardrock.
20 seems about right to me or does that sound crazy?
My wife does prefer around 30 though.
Any opinions or experiences would be much appreciated. It bugs me a bit that the first 60-70% of the volume control is not usable for me.

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #323 of 479
Amp gain 15 and db at 26

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #324 of 479
Amp gain 15 and db at 26

Thanks, good to know someone listens a little louder than me still.
Of course, the way files were converted still have something to do with it as well, but I don't apply gain or equalise the volume of the tracks when converting them. I use XLD for conversion and just started using DSD master to try out DSD tracks with iTunes.

Aug 28, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #326 of 479
While I still consider the A8+TH900 a nice pairing I mainly use the A8 as a DAC now, feeding the Beyerdynamic A2 for my T1 and T90 or the Phonitor for most of my other headphones. To me these amps offer better detail retrieval than the A8 amp part. I'm missing XLR out though... not that I need it, but it feels nicer (and more familiar :wink:

Regarding the CCK compatibility: the A8 works fine with the Apple CCK.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #327 of 479
Yes, I've finally given up on the headphone amp part of the unit. I did a side by side with my old Magni and the Magni opened everything up immensely.

The DAC part is still fantastic and has a ton of flexibility. I added the Audiophilleo 2/Pure Power to my computer as a source and that really helped clean everything up. I'm really liking my set-up now.

And yes, I can confirm the CCK compatibility, although I found the iPad/A8 (DAC) pairing a little too bright.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #328 of 479
Anyone tried hd800 on hpa8, good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back