Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
May 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #286 of 479
Enjoy, the pairing is not for me. For the price, I would expect it to be more than it was.

The TH900 just loses me on the bass presentation, compared to the Mad Dog, despite being the more detailed headphone. On the Mad Dog, the bass is more natural, more pushed back, less bloated. TH900 feels like it has a really well controlled bass hump that was coloring the sound too much for me.

May 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #287 of 479
  Enjoy, the pairing is not for me. For the price, I would expect it to be more than it was.

The TH900 just loses me on the bass presentation, compared to the Mad Dog, despite being the more detailed headphone. On the Mad Dog, the bass is more natural, more pushed back, less bloated. TH900 feels like it has a really well controlled bass hump that was coloring the sound too much for me.

Are you talking about the TH900s with or without the HP-A8 ?

What kind of music do you listen too?

I do not listen to bass heavy electronic music at all.

With jazz, blues , rock and Metal this combo sounds amazing to my ears. It even manages to bring to life old recordings from the 70s.

May 15, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #288 of 479
With the A8. I listen to all kinds of music.

May 17, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #289 of 479
I need help.

My Hp-A8  I  updated to the latest firmware and now I am able to play WAV files through the SD card slot.

Then, II started ripping my cds with JRiver and they came out just with the song name without order #, the result, well they show in alphabetical order and I was able to play them.

Well, since I did not want them this way, I started messing with, name of the song, #  etc...... but unfortunately, the HP-A8  now only reads the folders, not the songs....... Name of the folder/NO FILES

I wonder how to do this properly so I can have my cds ripped and the  songs will show up in the original order.....

May 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #291 of 479
Probably the quickest way to fix this it to just reset the HP-A8.

Menu > System info > scroll to reset.

It works with wav files ripped with Itunes and Ashampoo.

However, it just does not read any files  ripped with JRiver, unless I do not add a number to the tracks.... which means that all the songs will be listed in alphabetical order :frowning2:

I tried all the possible combinations with the same outcome......

It is just that I trust JRiver as a ripper because of the error correction capability and the final report...

Thanks

May 17, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #294 of 479
Is the HP-A8 worth buying as a DAC only device or would I be better off going with something else?

Wonder how it would pair with a tube amp like the WA7.

May 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #295 of 479

I have  tried the HP-A8 (700mw at 35ohm) with the TH900 and it is heavenly match, which is not a coincidence since both are part of the same system.

In addition to that, I tried it with the AKG 550s and the UE TripleFi's.... and it delivered an excellent sound with both as well.

I think that if you are going to use it with the TH900s it is worth a try since you can purchase it under $1000 nowadays.

Also, you will have the flexibility of multiple connections, pre-amp, etc...

May 18, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #297 of 479
A Man Eating Duck,  you originally asked me if I was using   %Track#% %Title%?

Well, no because I did not have that one under the choices,  and all the available ones did not even include %.....they only included  [   instead.

Well guess what....., I tried your fomula under the CUSTOM  mode and YEAH !!!!  it worked !

THANK YOU so much!

May 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #299 of 479
Can you play dsd from usb connection?
I save all my dsd files in my laptop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back