Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
May 26, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #301 of 479
  Is the HP-A8 worth buying as a DAC only device or would I be better off going with something else?

For $1000 or less, yes. But it's slightly limited because it doesn't have balanced outputs. That's fine for me, but might throw a kink in some sound setup designs.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #302 of 479
I actually quite enjoy the HP-A8/TH900 pairing. I still find that the HP-A8's true strength is the DAC. When I talked to the Fostex guys at last years RMAF, they were pushing the HP-A8 as a home audio DAC alternative. I don't know that I'd buy it just for DAC use, but since I have one... I tried it out in this chain:

MacBook Pro, PureMusic, Lossless tracks fed to the HP-A8 via optical, to a few-years old A/V receiver sending 90wpc to a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM5s. 

I'm happy to report lots of detail throughout the audio spectrum. Much, much better than I expected - and frankly, while I'm selling my TH900's (to facilitate the move to a 2.1 channel stereo setup), I'm going to keep the HP-A8 to use solely as a DAC. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #303 of 479
Great to know its strength as a DAC by itself.

However,  as an amp is not slouch. It boosts 700 mw at 35 ohm and even more for the TH900 that are just 25 ohm.

I am very happy with the HP-A8 and the TH900s.....  the amount of detail, 3D imaging and out of this world bass are just mesmerizing.

I am still re-discovering my music.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #304 of 479
Just ordered my HP-A8C from http://www.pro-hifi.co.uk/ , a subdivision of SCV London , which seems to be the UK distributor.
Great service from and extensive contact with these people, and they ordered extra ear pads and headbands for my TH-900 straight from Japan as well.
They're the place to be for Fostex in Europe if you ask me.

Mods, I hope I'm not violating any publicity rules here, if so then feel free to remove this post of course.
Just want to let others know if they need any Fostex parts or service that these people were a great help.
Fostex is hardly available here in mainland Europe it seems.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #307 of 479
^ I think Matvei meant the lack of balanced outputs. 

If you can get a HP-A8 for $700, that'd be a solid deal even if you meant to use it for only DAC purposes. Actually, in my office I have mine setup in direct mode as a DAC only, through an A/V receiver to a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM5's. Lots of great detail... Fostex did a great job sourcing the Asahi Kasei chip. 

At some point I'll try the HP-A8 out in my living room system, which has some articulate Goldenear speakers. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #308 of 479
Has the price of the HP-A8 gone back up?

I recall seeing it at Sonic Sense for 999.99... but right now it's showing $1499.

What is the best place to pick one up?

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #310 of 479
  Has the price of the HP-A8 gone back up?

I recall seeing it at Sonic Sense for 999.99... but right now it's showing $1499.

What is the best place to pick one up?

I just bought a Japanese HP-A8 off of ebay for $990.  They re-listed their remaining stock for $1,280.  Increasing the price by almost $300 after a sale is unfair and hopefully it will go back down quite quickly.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #311 of 479
The best price that I can see right now is $1065 on Amazon.com. Those would come directly from Japan, and probably need a voltage adapter to work in the US… But otherwise be the same unit.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #312 of 479
The price in Japan went up by about $100 new, but there was also a tax increase.

It's 89,800 on Amazon Japan, but a few months ago you could get it off there for 79,800 or so.

I got mine on Yahoo Auctions Japan (i.e. used) but it was like new anyway (the plastic film was still attached and it was complete with the box) so I saved $100 off retail by doing that.

I had my friend in Japan just send it to me and I opened it with a T10 security driver (off ifixit.com, $5) and switched the voltage from 100 (JP) to 120 (US) which can be done just by switching a single plug. It's also clearly labelled inside, so you can't mess it up.

If you don't have a friend in Japan, just use one of the various proxy services. It'll still be cheaper than paying $1499 or whatever.

Note that the Japanese version does not come with a 3 prong plug, only two prong. So you'll want to provide your own power cable if you want it to be grounded. I switched mine with one from Oyaide, but you can probably get something much cheaper.

Amazon Japan also offers a good price for the TH900: 119,000 new. I bought mine off there months ago.

You can also get spare remotes for the HP-A8 on there...it's about 1,500 for a fresh remote should you have lost or broke yours. (Unfortunately, it still is just as big a piece of junk as always...wish they made a better remote with physical buttons).

Jul 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #315 of 479
  Just unboxed mine but too tired to hook it up and run the setup properly. Will be for some night this wek ot this weekend.  :)
Looks the works by the way, purely Japanese, finely crafted!

Indeed, incredibly nice crafted. I love the leds inside. The only thing that does not fit in the picture is the remote control.

Pairs very nice with my TH600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back