Fostex HP-A4
Aug 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #226 of 324
  Yes, I have opened them up to swap opamps as previously posted in this thread. Simply unscrew the 4 screws on the top of the HP-A4 to open it.

After trying out many different opamps on the HP-A4, I've found the MUSES8920 to be simply the best sounding opamp for the HP-A4. At only 480 yen a pop, anyone who's looking to upgrade their HP-A4's sound quality should definitely get it. (it can be bought from Akizukidenshi via Tenso buying service)

i see, do you happen to have an extra piece?
i bought some muses01 from them previously

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #227 of 324
  i see, do you happen to have an extra piece?
i bought some muses01 from them previously

Nope I don't have an extra, sorry.

The MUSES01 is also just as good as MUSES8920 for the HP-A4. The difference between them is minimal when used in the HP-A4, although the MUSES01 is much more expensive. Try out your MUSES01 on the HP-A4 and let us know how it goes!

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #228 of 324
Interesting... I should consider getting a OPAMP or two next month when I'm going to Japan to try it out.
Changing of the OPAMP shouldn't affect the line out right? It should only affect the headphone out right?

Aug 6, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #229 of 324
  Nope I don't have an extra, sorry.

The MUSES01 is also just as good as MUSES8920 for the HP-A4. The difference between them is minimal when used in the HP-A4, although the MUSES01 is much more expensive. Try out your MUSES01 on the HP-A4 and let us know how it goes!

i sold it off together with asus essence one dac previously so.. i guess i'll buy one of that 8920 online :p

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #230 of 324
Interesting... I should consider getting a OPAMP or two next month when I'm going to Japan to try it out.
Changing of the OPAMP shouldn't affect the line out right? It should only affect the headphone out right?

Yes, it only affects the headphone out. I'd recommend getting both the MUSES 8820 and 8920 when you're in Japan. 8920 is still better but the 8820 have its merits.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #232 of 324
  I'm also interested in Fostex HP-A4 vs. Teac UD-301 vs. Matrix Mini-i 2014.

Doeas the HP-A4 use the TI TPA6120A as headphone amplifier? The chip near the Fostex HP-A4 lettering looks like it:

im about to buy the TEAC any day now. In Japan its at an all time low. 37,000 yen. A steal for what it does, but I keep coming back to the Fostex. At the end of the day, I think the TEAC has a much a better headphone amp setup. AND it has balanced XLR, it offer more options for upgraiding the system down the line. That being said. I am probably going to buy the fostex for work cause I am just going to pair it with a stronger headphone amp... so the amp section doesnt matter at all... 

Also you guys can consider audio-GD. they make DSD dac/amp for killer prices and the amps they use are much more powerful than the teac or fostex. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #233 of 324
Hi guys!

I've bought the little Fostex and I need your help with the samplig rate led indicators.
I first tried the Fostex Audio Player and depending on the song I listen to (from mp3 to DSD2.8) the led indicators work well and indicates the good sampling rate.
But with Foobar, the indicator led is fixed on 192kHz, even playing a 16/44.1 or 24/96 file. I also tried with VLC and it still the same.

Do you have the same problem? 
Have you changed something in the preferences in Foobar or in the sound parameters of WIndows?

(Win7 Pro)

Nov 14, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #234 of 324
  Hi guys!

I've bought the little Fostex and I need your help with the samplig rate led indicators.
I first tried the Fostex Audio Player and depending on the song I listen to (from mp3 to DSD2.8) the led indicators work well and indicates the good sampling rate.
But with Foobar, the indicator led is fixed on 192kHz, even playing a 16/44.1 or 24/96 file. I also tried with VLC and it still the same.

Do you have the same problem? 
Have you changed something in the preferences in Foobar or in the sound parameters of WIndows?

(Win7 Pro)

BUMP. 
I am curious to hear what the problem/soptionis. 
I looked at foobar options, and I think it should change output options depending on the device you have it hooked up to. i.e., the fostex. 

If I had to guess it would be a driver issue. Bingo! That reminds me. You (might) have to ADD the fostex driver to foobar!!! I think under the componets submenu. 
Google "how to play DSD in foobar" and there is a guide. I think step 1 or 2 tell you how to add your DACs drivers to foobar. 
But this should help with ANY file type not just DSD .

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #235 of 324
There is a setting in the windows sound control panel or somewhere that lets you set the sample rate that gets sent to the DAC.  This could cause what you are seeing.  I have mine set to 384Khz and the DAC shows that for most sound inputs except when I am using the ASIO drivers.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #236 of 324
  There is a setting in the windows sound control panel or somewhere that lets you set the sample rate that gets sent to the DAC.  This could cause what you are seeing.  I have mine set to 384Khz and the DAC shows that for most sound inputs except when I am using the ASIO drivers.

so if he adds the fostex driver to the componetns list of the Foobar, then it should override the windows setting.
I have a new DAC in the mail right now, so I will probably face this same problem too. (I decided on the Martanz HD-DAC1, but still considering the A4 for work) 

BTW. What do you guys think? Is the FOSTEX HP-A4 a worthy enough upgrade over the ODAC?  

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #237 of 324
  BUMP. 
I am curious to hear what the problem/soptionis. 
I looked at foobar options, and I think it should change output options depending on the device you have it hooked up to. i.e., the fostex. 

If I had to guess it would be a driver issue. Bingo! That reminds me. You (might) have to ADD the fostex driver to foobar!!! I think under the componets submenu. 
Google "how to play DSD in foobar" and there is a guide. I think step 1 or 2 tell you how to add your DACs drivers to foobar. 
But this should help with ANY file type not just DSD .

Yess!!!
Thank you, it wors well now! I also add the component to control foobar with my android HTC OneX.
Just need to add the DSD "driver" and it will be perfect!

Thank you all!

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #238 of 324

Yess!!!
Thank you, it wors well now! I also add the component to control foobar with my android HTC OneX.
Just need to add the DSD "driver" and it will be perfect!

Thank you all!

sweet! good to know. 
Control foobar with your phone?! is this android only? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back