Fostex HP-A4
Jul 14, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #211 of 324

Have tried many headphones (including the HD650 and SRH1840), but don't like their sound signatures.
Doesn't have to be reference quality. If it can't engage me musically, then I won't like it.

SRH1840 has incredibly detailed sound. I could hear lots of instruments I couldn't hear with other headphones. I think it's good for both reference and enjoyment. 
In my humble opinion, this Fostex HP-A4 isn't that musically engaging either. It isn't far from the built-in laptop headphone out. 
iBasso's R10 has both musical sound and good sound stage. I'd recommend you this unit. 

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #212 of 324
  SRH1840 has incredibly detailed sound. I could hear lots of instruments I couldn't hear with other headphones. I think it's good for both reference and enjoyment. 
In my humble opinion, this Fostex HP-A4 isn't that musically engaging either. It isn't far from the built-in laptop headphone out. 
iBasso's R10 has both musical sound and good sound stage. I'd recommend you this unit. 

I don't like overly detailed headphones, you end up listening to technicalities rather than enjoying the music.

Like I said, I use the HP-A4 solely as a DAC only. By itself, I feel that it's balanced between technicalities and musicality.

Have not tried the R10. But I don't really like the DX90's sound signature. I find the X5 to be more musical.
But when paired with the V3, I just love the DX90 > V3 setup.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #213 of 324

is ibasso r10 and dx100 same?

google search shows some confusing results.

dx 100 costs much higher I think. you should recommend substitute in same price range.

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #214 of 324

is ibasso r10 and dx100 same?

google search shows some confusing results.

dx 100 costs much higher I think. you should recommend substitute in same price range.

R10 is an improved, price-reduced version of DX100.
R10 sounds better than DX100. It has longer battery life as well. Its sound is the best I've heard so far. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #216 of 324
I don't believe in the "best" setup.
It's like ice cream. Won't having vanilla everyday be boring?
There's so many flavours that taste good.

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #217 of 324
Sorry, but any statements quoting percent improvements regarding music are useless.
Listen, enjoy and accept that everybody hears and especially prefers different things.

Overall the only thing that really counts is having fun with music... the means to that end can be quite different between people, depending on many factors like musical taste, comfort, environment, budget etc. Keeping oneself on the positive side of discussions is quite a timesaver... time that can be utilized better doing other things.

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #218 of 324
I think that the HP-A4 is a very good DAC/Amp for its price. It has great synergy with most of my headphones, and gets even better as a DAC for my Schiit Vali. Plus, its versatility for being able to roll opamps makes it well worth the price IMO.

Jul 15, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #219 of 324
Trying out the HP-A4 with my HE-400. To my ears not the best combo so far. A bit too sibilant and tizzy. But the HP-out from the Fostex might not be burned in yet. Mostly been using the HP-A4 as a DAC with other amps so far (Violectric V200). Hopefully the HP-A4 calms down after burn in, time will tell. Or my ears might just be used to the more relaxed V200 sound =)

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #221 of 324
While I didn't love the hp-a4 + th900 combo, the little hp-a4 did pair with my other headphones very well. I've also used it as a standalone DAC when I sold some stereo speakers, and those that heard it liked it.

I recently sold my he-400's, and during the sale I took the hp-a4 for the prospective buyer to listen to. He seemed to really like that combination.

While I like the hp-a8/th900 pairing a lot better - I find the hp-a4 very capable and use it frequently.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #222 of 324
forget about HP A4, guys. I will going to get iCan Micro. I think this one will sound better than HP A4 which is nothing more than a slightly improved normal laptop headphone out that costs 399 dollars.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #224 of 324
anyone managed to open them up to swop opamps?
found some reviews online. pls use google translate to read it.

http://dsl.seesaa.net/article/390996582.html

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #225 of 324
  anyone managed to open them up to swop opamps?
found some reviews online. pls use google translate to read it.

http://dsl.seesaa.net/article/390996582.html

Yes, I have opened them up to swap opamps as previously posted in this thread. Simply unscrew the 4 screws on the top of the HP-A4 to open it.

After trying out many different opamps on the HP-A4, I've found the MUSES8920 to be simply the best sounding opamp for the HP-A4. At only 480 yen a pop, anyone who's looking to upgrade their HP-A4's sound quality should definitely get it. (it can be bought from Akizukidenshi via Tenso buying service)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back