Fostex HP-A4
Jul 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #197 of 324
Very interested in buying this DAC/AMP. How well does it work with the HE-560s? Anyone try them? I just bought a pair of my HE-560s and am replacing my Schiit Vali/Modi stack to buy the Fostex. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #202 of 324
I had a pair of he-400's that sounded great with it, though they have modest power needs and are 92.5 db sensitive. The 560's are pretty close though at 90db sensitivity.

Anyhow, good luck!

Jul 14, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #203 of 324
I just received HP A4 today. I can confirm that this device's sound isn't so amazing and definitely does not worth $400. I'm going to send it back tomorrow.
It sounds certainly a little bit better than the original built-in speaker of desktop / laptop computer. But I would say it doesn't worth $400.
I've checked lots of Classical and soundtrack records in 24 bit/96 khz with this one. The difference was very minimal.
I'm using Shure's SRH1845, the flagship product of Shure. Its sound quality is close to Sony PHA 2 and both of them don't worth $400.
iBasso's R10 still sounds three to four times better than these units.

I'd encourage people to not purchase this unit. It's not worth it. If this unit was around $100, I would keep it.
A professional MIDI / Audio interface around $150 has similar sounding headphone out. Buy one of them.
PCM Chip implementation doesn't do much here. It's certainly not better than Sabre chip.
I'm going to turn this back and get Fiio X5.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #205 of 324
Don't waste your time and money with this unit. It doesn't sound much better than built-in laptop headphone out.
I've checked this with all top quality symphonies, pop, rock records in 24 bit flac files + foobar2000. It sounds 5% better than built-in headphone out of my laptop. Maybe a little bit clearer and It can make your volume higher than what built-in headphone out can but definitely not worth 400 dollars just for that. I wonder what they were thinking when they manufactured this. This doesn't improve anything.

I'd encourage you to buy iBasso R10.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #206 of 324
  I just received HP A4 today. I can confirm that this device's sound isn't so amazing and definitely does not worth $400. I'm going to send it back tomorrow.
It sounds certainly a little bit better than the original built-in speaker of desktop / laptop computer. But I would say it doesn't worth $400.
I've checked lots of Classical and soundtrack records in 24 bit/96 khz with this one. The difference was very minimal.
I'm using Shure's SRH1845, the flagship product of Shure. Its sound quality is close to Sony PHA 2 and both of them don't worth $400.
iBasso's R10 still sounds three to four times better than these units.

I'd encourage people to not purchase this unit. It's not worth it. If this unit was around $100, I would keep it.
A professional MIDI / Audio interface around $150 has similar sounding headphone out. Buy one of them.
PCM Chip implementation doesn't do much here. It's certainly not better than Sabre chip.
I'm going to turn this back and get Fiio X5.

Just wondering which part of the sound do you find not amazing. Could you describe your sound impressions of the HP-A4?

I personally love the sound. Detailed and clear while remaining musical.
Only problem is that it doesn't have enough power to drive a lot of stuff.
Sounds decent without an external amplifier, but can really shine with one.
I love is as a DAC and use it purely as a DAC only.

Pairing is also very important. I also have the DX90 which uses dual Sabres for its DAC implementation.
But I don't use it for my desktop setup even though technically it has a better DAC than the HP-A4. Tried many DACs but the HP-A4 just seems to fit.

At home, I'm using the:
Fostex HP-A4 > Audio Technica AT-HA22TUBE > Audio Technica ATH-A900XLTD
On the go I'm using the:
iBasso DX90 > Alo Audio The Continental V3 > Audio Technica ATH-ESW11LTD | Audio Technica ATH-ES10 | Advanced AccousticWerkes A2H-V

By the way, Shure's flagship is the SRH1840 not SRH1845.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #207 of 324

Just wondering which part of the sound do you find not amazing. Could you describe your sound impressions of the HP-A4?

I personally love the sound. Detailed and clear while remaining musical.
Only problem is that it doesn't have enough power to drive a lot of stuff.
Sounds decent without an external amplifier, but can really shine with one.
I love is as a DAC and use it purely as a DAC only.

Pairing is also very important. I also have the DX90 which uses dual Sabres for its DAC implementation.
But I don't use it for my desktop setup even though technically it has a better DAC than the HP-A4. Tried many DACs but the HP-A4 just seems to fit.

At home, I'm using the:
Fostex HP-A4 > Audio Technica AT-HA22TUBE > Audio Technica ATH-A900XLTD
On the go I'm using the:
iBasso DX90 > Alo Audio The Continental V3 > Audio Technica ATH-ESW11LTD | Audio Technica ATH-ES10 | Advanced AccousticWerkes A2H-V

By the way, Shure's flagship is the SRH1840 not SRH1845.

Sorry, meant to say 1840. This is the best sounding headphone I've heard so far.
Anyways, many of Audio Technica headphones are not for reference. Pro engineers still use AKG and Sennheiser.

It's a bit clearer. 5% more than laptop's built-in headphone out or maybe 10% for some musical pieces. But, if you think it worth $400, something's wrong. 
I have UR22 audio interface from Steinberg. This audio interface is about 150 bucks and it sounds nearly as good as this Fostex HP A4.
I can hear it can emphasize some solo instrument section and give a bit clarity to overall arrangement. However, this is nothing compared to what iBasso's R10 can do.
Fostex HP A4 has virtually no soundstage or distinctive signature sound. It makes the original sound bit different but It's hard to tell if that's a big enhancement.
It can raise overall volume level with gain button yet that feature can be found in gears within 100 dollars of price range.

I see no reason to pay $400 for this unit. I have checked many of my 5.1 surround 24bit 192khz lossless files as well. This one should be sold around 100 dollars. This is not DAC. This is something that sends headphone out sound to USB with a little difference nuance that isn't so better.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #208 of 324

Sorry, meant to say 1840. This is the best sounding headphone I've heard so far.
Anyways, many of Audio Technica headphones are not for reference. Pro engineers still use AKG and Sennheiser.

It's a bit clearer. 5% more than laptop's built-in headphone out or maybe 10% for some musical pieces. But, if you think it worth $400, something's wrong. 
I have UR22 audio interface from Steinberg. This audio interface is about 150 bucks and it sounds nearly as good as this Fostex HP A4.
I can hear it can emphasize some solo instrument section and give a bit clarity to overall arrangement. However, this is nothing compared to what iBasso's R10 can do.
Fostex HP A4 has virtually no soundstage or distinctive signature sound. It makes the original sound bit different but It's hard to tell if that's a big enhancement.
It can raise overall volume level with gain button yet that feature can be found in gears within 100 dollars of price range.

I see no reason to pay $400 for this unit. I have checked many of my 5.1 surround 24bit 192khz lossless files as well. This one should be sold around 100 dollars. 

Agree. Audio Technica headphones are very coloured and not for reference. I just like the colouration.

I'll go have a another listen to the HP-A4 when I'm back home tonight.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #209 of 324
These Fostex and Audio-technica products can't give honest representation of sound.
And they're both so expensive for fun. I sold many of my old Audio-technica headphones. I don't buy their product anymore. They're nothing compared to Sennheiser's HD650 and Shure's SRH1840.
I'd encourage you to send HP-A4 back as well. This is not enhancement. It doesn't have reference quality.  
I'll look up Oppo HA-1. Its features look more promising.

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #210 of 324
  These Fostex and Audio-technica products can't give honest representation of sound.
And they're both so expensive for fun. I sold many of my old Audio-technica headphones. I don't buy their product anymore. They're nothing compared to Sennheiser's HD650 and Shure's SRH1840.
I'd encourage you to send HP-A4 back as well. This is not enhancement. It doesn't have reference quality.  
I'll look up Oppo HA-1. Its features look more promising.

Have tried many headphones (including the HD650 and SRH1840), but don't like their sound signatures.
Doesn't have to be reference quality. If it can't engage me musically, then I won't like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back