Fostex HP-A4
May 3, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #256 of 324
My library is almost all 44.1@16 with a few 96@24 . Is this still worth getting? I mean if I get it I might start looking into DSD just to see... but still my main source of music is CDs.
My current desktop set up is PC>Swan-D1080iv or PC>Fiio-E12>MadDogs

May 3, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #257 of 324
  My library is almost all 44.1@16 with a few 96@24 . Is this still worth getting? I mean if I get it I might start looking into DSD just to see... but still my main source of music is CDs.
My current desktop set up is PC>Swan-D1080iv or PC>Fiio-E12>MadDogs

I have both the e17k and the fostex, the fostex while more laid back and smooth (which can be good depending on your tastes) is far more muscial and transprent sounding. The dac it has will also probably be an improvment over your speaker and pc, and in time you can add an end game amp to go the i's dac which competes very well with totl dacs on the 1k+ price point.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #258 of 324
i just want to know if it is possible to use the HP-A4 with AC/DC wall power  (like my smartphone wall power with the AP-A4 usb Cable)  and connect it to my source with optical in or if it is only possible to use it connect to the usb port of a computer 

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #259 of 324
  i just want to know if it is possible to use the HP-A4 with AC/DC wall power  (like my smartphone wall power with the AP-A4 usb Cable)  and connect it to my source with optical in or if it is only possible to use it connect to the usb port of a computer 

If you're using the optical in everything should be fine connecting the USB port to a powered hub or USB charger.

Jul 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #261 of 324
  Wanna to get my first amp\dac.
Choosing betveen Beresford Bushmaster MK2 and this Fostex HP-A4.
Which one will be better? Fostex is self-powered, and i don't really like usb powered devices...
Any advices?

It has optical in as well, so you can have the usb part be for just power only.

I haven't heard the bushmaster so i can't comment on it but the fostex does have dsd over it.

As for the dac + amp performance it's mid and treble forward, spacious and very smooth and  musical. Details is a bit smoothed over but it's very clear and realistic sounding though a bit rounded and light. Good sized soundstage with nice layered depth and good width and height.

As for dac only, it will impart a very musical and smooth sound which while won't offer you the best detailing, may make you not care about that. It's a very good dac that can compete pretty well with 1000+ totl dacs.

Also IMO looks better than the bushmaster.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #262 of 324
  It has optical in as well, so you can have the usb part be for just power only.

I haven't heard the bushmaster so i can't comment on it but the fostex does have dsd over it.

As for the dac + amp performance it's mid and treble forward, spacious and very smooth and  musical. Details is a bit smoothed over but it's very clear and realistic sounding though a bit rounded and light. Good sized soundstage with nice layered depth and good width and height.

As for dac only, it will impart a very musical and smooth sound which while won't offer you the best detailing, may make you not care about that. It's a very good dac that can compete pretty well with 1000+ totl dacs.

Also IMO looks better than the bushmaster.

but fostex line out is volume controlled??? that is no one reason why i have not bought it yet. 

i would like to add a further amp down the line and dont want unnecessary clutter in signal path like volume control.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #263 of 324

but fostex line out is volume controlled??? that is no one reason why i have not bought it yet. 

i would like to add a further amp down the line and dont want unnecessary clutter in signal path like volume control.

I added a wa6 to the lineup and it hasn't negatively affected my sound experience.  Like with computer volume, max it out for full transparency.

Jul 19, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #264 of 324
I think the A8 more better than this little baby, especially I have use the A8 two output to drive my hd700, which like much better than the HDVA600 balance out with my hd700.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #266 of 324
the fostex is a bright smooth and airy dac/amp, so it should open up and pair well with the lcd 2.

Even if you don't think it's optimal, you can always grab another amp and use the fostex as a dac only.

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #267 of 324
Hi

i consider getting this dac-amp combo , and i have few questions:

do you must install a driver for this device to work ?
does it work on linux ?

does it considered a good device ?, i am asking since i seen alot of poeple here trying to sell it as a second hand...

how it compare to the asus xonar stx ?

what would you consider getting instead of it for the same price (assuming that you need amp+dac combo) ?

thanks for anyone who would answer any of my questions :)

Sep 12, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #268 of 324
  Hi

i consider getting this dac-amp combo , and i have few questions:

do you must install a driver for this device to work ?
does it work on linux ?

does it considered a good device ?, i am asking since i seen alot of poeple here trying to sell it as a second hand...

how it compare to the asus xonar stx ?

what would you consider getting instead of it for the same price (assuming that you need amp+dac combo) ?

thanks for anyone who would answer any of my questions :)

Yes unless you're on chrome os or mac (as they have universal audio drivers). So it probably won't work on linux.

Definitely though it's dac is far better than it's amp. Probably better then the asus and a couple of steps better than the magni,modi and o2+odac (in sq but power wise it's a step back against said stacks)

I would get it over any internal sound card. Also works as a semi portable dac/amp as it's small and usb powered only. Also a great dac for a high end amp down the road.

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #269 of 324
do you have more information regarding the driver ?,if i getting this device i wish to use it in my linux box as well and i am sure if they indeed using a universal driver then linux probably have it.

i notice that many other devices such as schiit or audioengine are supported without special drivers,why the fostex is a special case ?

regarding the amp of this device , would it be able to power hd598 and maybe hd600/650 or a beyer 250ohm
headphones ?

and again thanks for your input :)

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #270 of 324
  do you have more information regarding the driver ?,if i getting this device i wish to use it in my linux box as well and i am sure if they indeed using a universal driver then linux probably have it.

i notice that many other devices such as schiit or audioengine are supported without special drivers,why the fostex is a special case ?

regarding the amp of this device , would it be able to power hd598 and maybe hd600/650 or a beyer 250ohm
headphones ?

and again thanks for your input :)

It's an asio driver but windows only. If your linux box is like mac or chrome os then plug and play is all that is needed.

It maximizes the potential of the dac.

It will, it powers my 600 ohm beyer dt 150 pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back