Fostex HP-A4
Aug 22, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #301 of 324
Hey guys ,
I'm in the same position , updated my hpa4 to the last firmware , power is green and the 44k led flashing red , stuck like this

The windows driver installed ok , can't make it work :/

any ideas maybe ?

Thank you !

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #302 of 324
Well I'll reply to myself , I removed the fostex audio driver .. then I did the windows sound test 16-44 24-96 etc and it was working ..

Can't get how it is working but it working flawlessly now , (with no fostex driver installed on my pc .. )

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #304 of 324
Anybody can share some experience with it pairing with ATH AD1000/2000 or AKG K712? And if 250€ is a good price for it new
And reading the specs: Phones Connector: Stereo phone
Max Output: 100mW (32-ohm loaded)
THD: less than 0.04% at 1kHz, 32-ohm loaded, 100mW
Frequency response: 20Hz - 80kHz +/-3dB (1kHz, 32ohm loaded, 100mW, FS 192kHz)

Isn't 32 ohm too damn low? How can it power anything? If someone can explain it to a newcomer...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #305 of 324
Yay fellow HPA4 users! :) im glad to join your ranks.

@JimJames i've tried to plug in a friends AK712 Pro and... not enough power im afraid :frowning2: it didnt sound as good as when i used my friends magni 3 & modi 3.
They really needed more power to sound better.

I dont want to sell my HPA4, but i am going to be buying soon an RME ADI2-DAC because it has more power and sounds cleaner. it also has more features that im looking for and the noise floor in the fostex when listening to quieter songs is starting to annoy me. i also dont like the crackle sometimes when i turn the volume nob to increase or decrease volume. small things like that lol.

Nov 9, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #306 of 324
Yay fellow HPA4 users! :) im glad to join your ranks.

@JimJames i've tried to plug in a friends AK712 Pro and... not enough power im afraid :frowning2: it didnt sound as good as when i used my friends magni 3 & modi 3.
They really needed more power to sound better.

I dont want to sell my HPA4, but i am going to be buying soon an RME ADI2-DAC because it has more power and sounds cleaner. it also has more features that im looking for and the noise floor in the fostex when listening to quieter songs is starting to annoy me. i also dont like the crackle sometimes when i turn the volume nob to increase or decrease volume. small things like that lol.
I have the BL (balanced) version of the HP-A4 however my K712 Pro plays fine through it unbalanced. Pretty sure there are no changes in the specifications save for the addition of a 4 pin XLR output. Unless powering through the AC adapter makes a difference as I understand that the HP-A4 is only usb powered.

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #307 of 324
I have the BL (balanced) version of the HP-A4 however my K712 Pro plays fine through it unbalanced. Pretty sure there are no changes in the specifications save for the addition of a 4 pin XLR output. Unless powering through the AC adapter makes a difference as I understand that the HP-A4 is only usb powered.
I think it does make a difference, powering through the USB seems like its not giving enough. :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #308 of 324
Hi,

My Fostex HP A4, is not being detected by PC or any laptop. Same green light with blinking 44.1k red light. Tried flashing again but unsuccessful. When using A4BL firmware, DAC shows error in flashing. Changed cables and devices. I'm worried that a $400 DAC doesn't go brick. Please suggest a way forward, any factory reset or firmware.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #309 of 324
Hi,

My Fostex HP A4, is not being detected by PC or any laptop. Same green light with blinking 44.1k red light. Tried flashing again but unsuccessful. When using A4BL firmware, DAC shows error in flashing. Changed cables and devices. I'm worried that a $400 DAC doesn't go brick. Please suggest a way forward, any factory reset or firmware.
Have you tried contacting Fostex support directly?

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #311 of 324
Did you buy the HPA4 used or brand new? which retailer did you buy it from maybe they can arrange a repair either with them or fostex.
Have you tried plugging into other computers ?
are your computers up to date on the lastest drivers ?

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #313 of 324
Hi, I am in India so there would be no support. Yes, I have tried it on other laptops, different cable etc. And everything is up to date.

Are you sure it's a working unit?

I've found Fostex to be relatively responsive with customer service/technical support (takes a couple of days to get a reply) but definitely helpful. When did you write them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back