Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
Jun 18, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #2,612 of 3,854
  Interesting to see Force India with a bit of pace at this circuit as well - from Perez anyway. Real pity for him about the grid penalty but the prospect of Dan R starting on the front row is quite exciting given Merc's troubles with getting off the line this season.

Particularly as some pundits are claiming the P2 position to actually be a better starting position than pole on this track.

Ric and Seb with Identical times and we have seen how fast Vettel can get off the line.

Quite the mixed bag from there on for the first 10 spots. The wildcard (man?) being Kvyat. If his head fails and he decides its time for another torpedoe run to jump Massa an Kimi and put distance between him and Bottas and Verstappen it could well be a very interesting first lap.

So does Lewis try a panic move at the begining or hold back and let the circus unfold ahead, waiting for the dust to clear on lap 2 to make progress?  He wont feel much pressure from behind so a more laid back strat might just pay off big time at the start.

It's been quite a while since I actually looked forward to a race with the anticipation I have for this one:)

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #2,613 of 3,854
All I could think of is this track may be awesome with the HTC Vive.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #2,615 of 3,854
....while I love the new Lewis this season, it would be cool to see him actually make another rookie mistake. Lewis Hamilton fans need to learn a lesson.

Would love to Ricciardo get out in front and NOT be shafted by his damn team for once.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #2,616 of 3,854
Obviously, being English, I want Lewis to come through and win, with Rosberg making another rookie mistake.

As long as Lewis doesn't make a stupid error again, I think a podium is on the cards, but not the win, unfortunately.

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #2,617 of 3,854
Wow. This easily hits my most disappointing GP threshold. Did they slip the drivers a valium during the national anthem when I was not looking?

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #2,618 of 3,854
Yeah where where the spectacular crashes? Where the drivers so afraid of the bad tarmac they decided not to push?

Some hilarious pit radios was the only entertainment.  Apparently Nico had the same problem but figured it out within half a lap. For lewis it took 12. https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/interviews/2016/6/f1-wolff-baku-hamilton-engine-issues.html
Claims there wasn´t any bigger  time loss though.

Hard to buy that it´s to complicated to learn in a simulation...

Jun 19, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2,619 of 3,854
  Yeah where where the spectacular crashes? Where the drivers so afraid of the bad tarmac they decided not to push?

Some hilarious pit radios was the only entertainment.  Apparently Nico had the same problem but figured it out within half a lap. For lewis it took 12. https://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/interviews/2016/6/f1-wolff-baku-hamilton-engine-issues.html

Unless of course it was simply a cobbled together set of paramaters from the Friday and Saturday data.

Jun 20, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #2,620 of 3,854
Well there is ways to reset the engine modes. Nico remembered how to do it apparently.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #2,621 of 3,854

Wolff's first reply suggests there was an element of fortune involved in that. I'm not sure about this complete lack of radio advice anyway personally. It's one thing not to be able to give the drivers feedback on what other drivers are doing, whether they should be braking later into particular corners etc. but there doesn't seem a lot of point in forcing them to do IQ tests during the race. We're supposed to be watching their ability to drive the car, not solve puzzles.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,623 of 3,854

Wolff's first reply suggests there was an element of fortune involved in that. I'm not sure about this complete lack of radio advice anyway personally. It's one thing not to be able to give the drivers feedback on what other drivers are doing, whether they should be braking later into particular corners etc. but there doesn't seem a lot of point in forcing them to do IQ tests during the race. We're supposed to be watching their ability to drive the car, not solve puzzles.

Toto is doing team politics are he going to say Lewis didn´t RTFM :p

To drive modern F1 cars you need to have some technical know how there is a a ton of button pushing sadly so I really don´t mind it I like the approach drivers have to do more themselves. If the driver come to a pit stop then they can come to help fix the problem would be a good compromise. Don´t see anything wrong in that the drivers need to know and operate their car.  If you are a fighter pilot do you call home to base if you get an emergency and ask what to do? At best you have help by a copilot.

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #2,624 of 3,854

Winning a GP is uber puzzle solving at its best
biggrin.gif

I am 50 /50 on the radio thing. Combat pilots do it under more extreme circumstances. The F18 has a computer system that would shame an F1 car.  Then again when they turned it into the SuperHornet they but the second crew member back to handle the electronics.

Perhaps the ban should be lifted on technical issues and enforced brutally on anything verging on racecraft.

I am surprised Lewis got caught out by that one, Kimi as well. Both are technically competent. lewis' contention that it was just bloody dangerous to be occupied by the wheel on that track may have some merit. Had he been in the Merc's usual position of running away from the field he may well have been able to solve it without the distraction of traffic.
Speculation of course, but I think Merc and The Scud could well make a case for technical info exchanges to the FIA.
If you wanted to be a real Bstard, you could do something like a rule where that information could only be exchanged during a pit stop:wink:

Jun 20, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #2,625 of 3,854

I am surprised Lewis got caught out by that one, Kimi as well. Both are technically competent. lewis' contention that it was just bloody dangerous to be occupied by the wheel on that track may have some merit. Had he been in the Merc's usual position of running away from the field he may well have been able to solve it without the distraction of traffic.
Speculation of course, but I think Merc and The Scud could well make a case for technical info exchanges to the FIA.
If you wanted to be a real Bstard, you could do something like a rule where that information could only be exchanged during a pit stop:wink:

Kimi was too busy fighting rogue pieces of blue plastic as far as I could see 
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back