Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Jan 28, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #376 of 494

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #378 of 494
How’s the ANC on these? How do they compare to the Bose TWS which are the good standard? Thanks.
I wasn’t super impressed with the ANC unfortunately, though I haven’t tested the more recent firmwares (not sure if anything was improved though). For ANC I found my APP to be far superior.

Jan 29, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #379 of 494
How’s the ANC on these? How do they compare to the Bose TWS which are the good standard? Thanks.
The ANC is pretty good, I had the Sony XM4, BOSE Tws and Airpods Pro for comparison. The ANC with foam tips (!) is almost on the level of the BOSE, and comparable to the sony's, a lot better than the airpods pro.

But the foam tips make all the difference, because I couldn't get a seal with the silicon tips and the ANC is barely noticable if you don't get a seal

Jan 30, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #380 of 494
New headphones (Kickstarter) geared toward Heavy Metal. Axel Grell design & collaboration with Heavys.com.
It won’t be a grell audio product… Heavys hired Axel as a consultant to help them, but it’s a product bespoke for Metal music. All I know about it is that it uses psychoacoustics to make it seem louder than it actually is. grell audio won’t be competing with Heavys, but psychoacoustics are definitely an important part of Axel’s toolbox :)

We wish Heavys the best of luck and success :)

Without commenting on the Bose TWS (which I haven’t heard for myself), I would quantify the TWS/1(and Drop TWS1X version) ANC with three points:

1.) It cancels and reduces noise substantially, but loud sounds are not 100% cancelled and especially dynamic sounds (random and shifting instead of a steady drone) can sometimes leak in. NAR mode doesn’t filter more strongly, but it does have added benefits with addressing higher pitched sounds in the mids and treble.

2.) It’s not heavy-handed ANC that creates a feeling of strong pressure against your eardrums… it feels comfortable for me to leave on and use active for hours.

2.) It doesn’t produce a hiss. When I turn on ANC in my house while the central heat is running, things go dead silent and I don’t hear the ANC circuit adding it’s own electronic hiss in the background.

I will say, one time I activated ANC while I had one earphone on and one still in the case, before putting the left earpiece in too, and it seemed I had the ANC on in one ear and transparent mode in the other ear. While wearing both earpieces, I fixed this by activating NAR mode, then ANC mode.

I’ve been busy!!! One of the most frequent requests I’ve seen here and on Drop is a request for an explanation of touch controls. Well, I recorded FOUR videos to help people with using their grell’s, and one of them is a demo of all the touch controls. I shared them with Axel and if he’s happy with them, we’ll publish them on Monday (I’ll put a YouTube embedded video in a post here on Head-Fi).

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #382 of 494
Hi, any news about Sonar Works to know if they will add offline mode to their Sound ID android app?
This way we could change EQ and also allow load local hearing user profile without needing internet at all time

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #383 of 494
Just some further feedback:
- I didn't experience any connection drops with the in-ears (FW 2.3.0, LG V50)
- Touch control sensitivity is really good now. Single touch presses are now much more reliable than with the release firmware version
- I didn't have any issues updating the in-ears, neither with the release firmware versions nor the later released versions
- Uploading the SoundID profile takes quite long time (several seconds). I don't know how much data is transferred but I thought it should basically be be some parametric EQ settings which shouldn't be a lot of data.
- ANC works great for low frequency rumble like in a train or airplane

Here are some things which would be great if they could be implemented in a coming firmware version:
- Remember ANC setting so that it will use the previous setting when removing the in-ears from the case
- Switching to the SoundID equalizer currently stops playback and the realtime EQ preview only works for the provided demo samples. I don't know if this is a limitation of Android but it would be great if I could change the EQ settings during normal playback and the settings would then be applied in realtime.
- Add setting for high- and low-gain mode. For background listening it would be nice if there was a low-gain mode which would lower the volume compared to the high-gain setting.
- When changing a setting (e. g. setting transparency on) there's first the message that the setting is applied and then the setting is actually applied. For me it would be more convenient if the setting was first applied and then I got the audio message about the setting.

If would be really great if you could offer replacement filters additionally to replacement ear-tips. During tip rolling I somehow managed that one of the filters got loose.

I really do hope these in-ears get some more attention. I've got some really nice physical bass from these and with the addition of the SoundID profile and the additional parametric EQ you can tune them to whatever sound you like.

Feb 6, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #385 of 494
Have completed a series of tests using Sony and Samsung phones and the latest firmware loaded on TWS1 (not the DROP version) to check connectivity.
During this test I also started by doing a new pairing after the latest FW was installed to ensure I was starting from scratch

A) Stationary Test: Indoors not moving within home office. 85% volume/Silicone tips.Misic played from phone files, no streaming

Connection was a bit glitchy upon first playing right after removing from case.But became stable and no drops observed. Including while moving around within 10 '.
I retested by taking out of case placing on desk and waiting 10 seconds prior to start playing music. Notice that glitches were none existing.

B) Stationary Test:Now in kitchen. No issue observed until a turned a 2021 LG microwave. Noticed some glitches, that went away as soon as I paused microwave. As I moved away glitches went away. Tested a Senheiser and B&O both did not react to microwave

C) Patio setting : Same conditions a lot of trees and not a lot around me. Everything was ok but if I moved I noticed that music quality was being impacted

D) Change Setting: Went out front door and walk half block to USPS mail box. Experienced 15 connection glitches, If I would stop moving they would pause, but as soon as I moved my phone or my head the connectivity would fail

Decided to place in case and reconnect while outside. The connectivity would not hold

As soon as I walked in the house, place the device in the case and then reconnected and would work normal again

Drove to a nearby children's park and again the connectivity was a challenge.If I placed my phone in pocket, moved my head,etc the connectivity would just go bezerk

Did a test in the morning with my Sony and then in late afternoon with Samsung and the behavior was identical

Tried a few other TWS units as to increase the sampling data and found that in the house office they all performed in an identical fashion. In the kitchen the Grell was sensitive

Outdoors only the Grell exhibited the erratic behavior

For now this testing tells me that the issue is not software ( unless something in the processing portion is using a certain frequency of that is different from other TWs units)
I am inclined towards a hardware issue with some sort of shielding or reference point issue

Would like to hear from others if they have found connection instances and maybe under which conditions and if anyone has any tips would appreciate it

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #386 of 494
Nice feedback StMartin81!

Feb 7, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #387 of 494
Have completed a series of tests using Sony and Samsung phones and the latest firmware loaded on TWS1 (not the DROP version) to check connectivity.
During this test I also started by doing a new pairing after the latest FW was installed to ensure I was starting from scratch

A) Stationary Test: Indoors not moving within home office. 85% volume/Silicone tips.Misic played from phone files, no streaming

Connection was a bit glitchy upon first playing right after removing from case.But became stable and no drops observed. Including while moving around within 10 '.
I retested by taking out of case placing on desk and waiting 10 seconds prior to start playing music. Notice that glitches were none existing.

B) Stationary Test:Now in kitchen. No issue observed until a turned a 2021 LG microwave. Noticed some glitches, that went away as soon as I paused microwave. As I moved away glitches went away. Tested a Senheiser and B&O both did not react to microwave

C) Patio setting : Same conditions a lot of trees and not a lot around me. Everything was ok but if I moved I noticed that music quality was being impacted

D) Change Setting: Went out front door and walk half block to USPS mail box. Experienced 15 connection glitches, If I would stop moving they would pause, but as soon as I moved my phone or my head the connectivity would fail

Decided to place in case and reconnect while outside. The connectivity would not hold

As soon as I walked in the house, place the device in the case and then reconnected and would work normal again

Drove to a nearby children's park and again the connectivity was a challenge.If I placed my phone in pocket, moved my head,etc the connectivity would just go bezerk

Did a test in the morning with my Sony and then in late afternoon with Samsung and the behavior was identical

Tried a few other TWS units as to increase the sampling data and found that in the house office they all performed in an identical fashion. In the kitchen the Grell was sensitive

Outdoors only the Grell exhibited the erratic behavior

For now this testing tells me that the issue is not software ( unless something in the processing portion is using a certain frequency of that is different from other TWs units)
I am inclined towards a hardware issue with some sort of shielding or reference point issue

Would like to hear from others if they have found connection instances and maybe under which conditions and if anyone has any tips would appreciate it
Hmm. Unfortunate, putting a purchase of the Grell TWS/1 on hold from this news. Any similar testing/feedback from others on the Apple iOS ecosystem in the outdoors?

That is my primary use (>95%) of a TWS setup with an iPhone. I was considering the TWS/1 to replace & upgrade a recently misplaced setup with the Jabra Elite Active 75t.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #388 of 494
Hmm. Unfortunate, putting a purchase of the Grell TWS/1 on hold from this news. Any similar testing/feedback from others on the Apple iOS ecosystem in the outdoors?

That is my primary use (>95%) of a TWS setup with an iPhone. I was considering the TWS/1 to replace & upgrade a recently misplaced setup with the Jabra Elite Active 75t.
I've taken my TWS/1 twice to the park to just walk around and had no issues. Your mileage may vary though in different environments.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #389 of 494

This was my own experience. I have one of the first batches, so mileage may vary we newer batches.

Feb 7, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #390 of 494

I have not experienced any disconnect issues with my iPhone XS in the 1 month I have been using them. I have used them Indoor, Outdoor, on Transit and in a rather congested 2.4G RF environment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back