Former Sennheiser engineer Axel Grell made a $200 pair of ANC true wireless earbuds - the TWS/1
Feb 19, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #406 of 494
From earlier discussion it was mentioned that they stay in standby for a while so you can reconnect them quickly if needed. I mainly use earphones just to listen to music, so when I'm done I put them back in the charging case and that is it. If the TWS/1 is not switching from a 'standby' mode and shutting down while in the charging case then that is a problem and I hope a firmware update can fix it.
Yep, I just checked my battery case tonight and it has lost 1 lev3l bar out of 4 and it was fully charged yesterday.
Yesterday I .just opened case once and closed It and did not even listen to them.
And i also purposedly used the Grell no more than 10 minutes today...so according to my calculations.
In less than 4 days and with less than 40 minutes total listening time, both cases and buds will be empty....
Wow,!!!
This needs to be fixed or at least give user/buy3r à choice between longer stand-bye for quick immediate connection.and putting them back to sleep as soon as they are in the case.
Also when battery case is depleted, the buds inside stay connected...

Also annoying Soundid copy information from my clipboard

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #407 of 494
From earlier discussion it was mentioned that they stay in standby for a while so you can reconnect them quickly if needed. I mainly use earphones just to listen to music, so when I'm done I put them back in the charging case and that is it. If the TWS/1 is not switching from a 'standby' mode and shutting down while in the charging case then that is a problem and I hope a firmware update can fix it.
There should at least be an option. Even Sennheiser eventually added an option for the MTW1 to be turned off from their app. I use earbuds sporadically and find myself reaching for the Airpod Pros because it's usually been a few days since I've used the TWS/1. I've never felt like the MTW1 take too long to connect after I've completely turned them off.

Feb 20, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #408 of 494
There should at least be an option. Even Sennheiser eventually added an option for the MTW1 to be turned off from their app. I use earbuds sporadically and find myself reaching for the Airpod Pros because it's usually been a few days since I've used the TWS/1. I've never felt like the MTW1 take too long to connect after I've completely turned them off.
The MTW1 workaround was not great...i read that once you forced them to sleep in the case to stop battery drain, to wake them up you had to first plug them with on AC plug..

Feb 20, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #409 of 494
The MTW1 workaround was not great...i read that once you forced them to sleep in the case to stop battery drain, to wake them up you had to first plug them with on AC plug..
Weird. That’s never been the case with mine

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #410 of 494
I checked again today , and i am now down at 2 bars!!!

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #411 of 494
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #412 of 494
Hey @joe75, that is not normal behavior, and everyone at grell thinks an exchange would be best. 4 days of life with 40 minutes of use is an extreme outlier! The standby mode should not be using nearly that much power. Mine lasts several weeks with more usage than you’ve described (1-3 hours a day, handful of days per week), so let’s do that for you! Please reach out to support@grellaudio.com, and we’ll get back to you once we fly back from CanJam NYC :)

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #413 of 494
@Evshrug, I had the same issue as @joe75 with my Drop grell TWS1X and returned it. I was losing two bars a day after any amount of usage. I did a test where I left the IEMs outside the case overnight after using them. The case had full bars, but the IEMs were completely drained the next day. Seems like the standby mode was not working for my pair.

Hesitant to get another pair even though I enjoy the sound.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 4:30 AM Post #414 of 494
Hey @joe75, that is not normal behavior, and everyone at grell thinks an exchange would be best. 4 days of life with 40 minutes of use is an extreme outlier! The standby mode should not be using nearly that much power. Mine lasts several weeks with more usage than you’ve described (1-3 hours a day, handful of days per week), so let’s do that for you! Please reach out to support@grellaudio.com, and we’ll get back to you once we fly back from CanJam NYC :)
Several weeks? Good for you ,:)
I am.willing to wait some more for a firmware update that could solve that issue before deciding to send them back.

I am not in a hurry yet ..but i ll reach out to grell support later at some point.

Thanks

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #415 of 494
For everyone though, hopefully we are proving that we are listening to feedback and really want everyone to enjoy themselves!

Good news is we should have another firmware update in about two weeks, to get earbuds that are placed into the case into standby mode quicker and extend the shelf-life of a shored charge! I’ll make a full post detailing all the firmware changes once it’s done :)

Mar 9, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #416 of 494
For everyone though, hopefully we are proving that we are listening to feedback and really want everyone to enjoy themselves!

Good news is we should have another firmware update in about two weeks, to get earbuds that are placed into the case into standby mode quicker and extend the shelf-life of a shored charge! I’ll make a full post detailing all the firmware changes once it’s done :)
Thanks for the support and the heads up, that is greatly appreciated

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #417 of 494
Thanks for the support and the heads up, that is greatly appreciated
Hi, was wondering it it s better for suggestions/queries to adress them directly to grell support website or if i can continue doing so here on head-fi.org

I also have a question :

with the custom sound id profile...How many different profiles can be stored in the buds?
I use my custom one and sometimes the flat profile one...so i use sometimes 3 in total (off, flat or user name)
(Would it be possible later to include à 5s long press on the left bud to cycle from sound profile activated on/off)...that way i dont have to open soundid )

If that can help with my battery drain problem, some other TWS have a very agressive automatic standby mode
On the B&O EQ for example, it can be activated and it is set to 15mn (only one value)...,
So they turn off after 15mn of no activity which i find is a good enough value since they dont have proximity sensor either.
About the B&O EQ, i dont know which qualcom chip they use but in their last update they did receive multipoint functionality

For the Grell i also need to remember to charge the case more regurlaly....to avoid that one time when case was empty and earbuds were almost full...so when putting them back in the empty battery case, the hiss you get one case closed did not disappear...till i plugged the charger again

Please note : I very much prefer the sound of my TWS/1 with soundid over the B&O EQ!!! or any other TWS i own so far.

Mar 11, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #418 of 494
I experienced the same, my Grell did loose the whole charge within a week without any use. I have difficulties with the connection stability while walking through a crowded city with many WLAN signals. Using a bike, it is worse with a significant amount of time only the right channel playing. Sure, I don't know what causes these interruptions but given the fact this didn't happen when I biked through the country side, WLAN and such seems to be a good guess.

I heard from the German support that they want to address this problem with the next firmware as well, that's why I didn't send my pair back and was surprised by the discharge today when I wanted to check the availability of the update.

Mar 18, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #419 of 494
I experienced the same, my Grell did loose the whole charge within a week without any use. I have difficulties with the connection stability while walking through a crowded city with many WLAN signals. Using a bike, it is worse with a significant amount of time only the right channel playing. Sure, I don't know what causes these interruptions but given the fact this didn't happen when I biked through the country side, WLAN and such seems to be a good guess.

I heard from the German support that they want to address this problem with the next firmware as well, that's why I didn't send my pair back and was surprised by the discharge today when I wanted to check the availability of the update.
I sent a mail for support while we wait for the firmware fix, in the meantime i will stop putting them back in the case, reset them and disconnect them from all my devices to see if that can prevent that battery drain for good

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #420 of 494
Hi everyone, quick update:
The bad news that our firmware update ought to come out next week (we had been hoping to share it with you this week), but the good news is we think we’ll be able to correct an issue where sometimes one earbud won’t play music (but you can still hear it make notification chimes if you use the touch controls).

People who continue to have volume issues may find this interesting: Android causes separate volume settings on the transmitter (like your phone) and on Bluetooth headphones (like the grells). If you have been struggling to get enough volume or wish your Android device behaved the same way as an iOS/iPadOS device, check this link out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FiiO/comments/f31mbq/fiio_m6_really_low_volume_over_bluetooth/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back